Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Got a new Ar10 from Palmetto a while ago and finally shot it. First loads with H4895 and 150 gr NOSLER ballistic tips shooting about 1.2" . I was supprisd

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I copied this from another post I had made here at the fire.

*****Welcome to the world of NO STANDARD SPECS in the AR 10 WORLD.*****

Everybody including Ruger does their own dance with this platform.

Including port size, port location, gas tube length, buffer spring strength, buffer weight,.....yeah all of that and sometimes more or less depending on the manufacturer.
Remember this, if you start with said maker YOU STICK WITH THAT MAKER if you want 100% ease and success. You will have some parts fitting and getting awfully close from one company to the next and working OK. You just have to be prepared to test it all and make sure you have spare parts and you will be good. I learned all this when I put together two PSA G3's into .308 win.

Most company's seem to loosely follow the DPMS pattern up to a point. some closer than others which is a "kind of standard". Armalite paved the way but DPMS made it more reachable for gun nuts.
Alot of them do not know what they are doing since there is no standard, so they look over the shoulder of another manufacturer and copy what they have....including the bugs.
Ruger, PSA, POF, ....so on and so on all do this.

CHECK FOR THE FOLLOWING BELOW NO MATTER WHO MADE YOUR AR10.
THEY ARE JUST HEAVY SUGGESTIONS FOR LONGEVITY AND A NO FUSS / SIMPLE AR10.

The biggest faults they all share are...port location, gas tube length, port size, buffer spring weight, and buffer weight. They will use a common AR15 buffer spring and standard buffer which is retarded because its a full .308 win for gods sake... not a small cartridge. Look around on the net and you will see what I am writing about.

I suggest a SpringCo red/orange buffer spring and an Expo Arms heavy buffer.
It will calm ejection and you wont need the adj. block unless you run a suppressor.

The 2 PSA G3's in .308 that I have are set up from PSA with 18" barrels.
BOTH run fantastic, out to 400 yards 3" groups with hand loads 168 grn ballistic tips which is a farting around load. I use that load for multiple .308's including bolt actions.
That being said I like them both. They run well. 4'o clock ejection and 5 feet away. I took off the adjustable gas blocks. The blocks worked but it was just once piece I did not want to have to worry about locking up or just crapping out. So I put a regular gas block on both.
I have hunted with both and the last thing you want is that stupid adjustable block not working on a hunt.

Dont get me wrong I have an FN FAL the adjustable gas block is the tits. Its big and field adjustable with a .308 shell. This cheap azz small set screws and chit everybody puts out is garbage. Ruger did it ok to a point but a real block would be like the FAL.

Designed CORRECTLY from the get go it would be great but NO, little allen screws and crap like that shows up....WHY?...Because they cut corners on port size, port location, buffer weight, buffer spring strength and gas tube length...cheap azz.

Do I like them AR 10's, heck yeah, they are fun and and enjoyable to shoot.

Best
HeavyDove

Last edited by HeavyDove; 03/25/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My PSA AR10 shoots 168gr about an inch. Not bad for a cheap PSA.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.