Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I find reloading about as entertaining as watching paint dry. I lubed, resized, cleaned, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, cleaned primer pockets and reprimed 50 pieces of .243 brass yesterday. It's more than tedious enough without screwing around with range brass. I'd rather shut my thumb in a car door than be forced to load 3000 rds. a year.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Range brass? I don't touch the stuff. The crap tends to stretch too much fired in a auto and you don't know how many times it was fired before they tossed it. Also feel free to following me around at the range I tend to toss alot of 22-250 brass. If you pick it up make sure you invest in a nice tight chamber brush so you can pull other half of the case out of the chamber. I tossed them for a reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
What's the point of ditching the shorter brass?
I'm just trying to get more consistent neck tension. Especially on bullets that are not crimped.

kwg

Suggestion for that neck tension consistency : Get a Hornady Universal Neck sizing die which is caliber specific.
Adjust it right you won't have to worry about neck tension Consistency

Hello Seafire
I'm seeing several Hornaday neck sizers. Which one are you talking about ?? Can you link it ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm just trying to get more consistent neck tension. Especially on bullets that are not crimped.

kwg

Suggestion for that neck tension consistency : Get a Hornady Universal Neck sizing die which is caliber specific.

Hello Seafire
I'm seeing several Hornaday neck sizers. Which one are you talking about ?? Can you link it ??

kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011034431?pid=211699

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

kwg

Hello Seafire

kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011034431?pid=211699
Hello Seafire
I see where this one deprimes but it appears it does nothing with the neck ?? Am I missing something ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All the ones I have ( about 6 or 7 )can be adjusted to sized the neck on just about any caliber in that caliber range.

Such as a 243. You can set it up to size the neck for a 243. or a 6mm Rem, or a 240 Weatherby.

I is not just a universal deprimer. Each of them are like that...

I have one that I've neck sized for others in 7mm. you can set it up for a 7/08, or a 7 x 57, 280 Remington, 280 AI or 7 mm Rem Mag, or a 7mm Weatherby etc.

Call Midway and ask them for the ones that do that, versus just a Universal deprimer.

All the ones I've both have been a neck sizer, and I've even taken the decapping pin out of the spindle. Ive got them in 20 caliber to 30 Caliber.

Hornady makes them still NOT long ago, I bought one in 6.5 mm Short, that I set up to do my 6.5 Grendal with...but set it up last week to neck size the 6.5 NeedMore.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I find reloading about as entertaining as watching paint dry. I lubed, resized, cleaned, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, cleaned primer pockets and reprimed 50 pieces of .243 brass yesterday. It's more than tedious enough without screwing around with range brass. I'd rather shut my thumb in a car door than be forced to load 3000 rds. a year.
I know that last sentence was directed at me but thats why some if us can shoot LR Hunting and some cant.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I know that last sentence was directed at me but thats why some if us can shoot LR Hunting and some cant.
Long range is not an option where I do my hunting. Like I said, I practice offhand because that's how I shoot 98% of my deer. Most of that practice is done with rimfire rifles and more than 3000 rds. a year are expended. That's why some of us can shoot offhand and some can't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
For those of you who segregate 223/5.56 range brass in particular, what criteria do you have when you sort by weight? I’m thinking it should be no more than +/- .5 grains of each other. What have you guys found to be the best?
On little .22 cases like the .222, 223, etc. I see a lot of variance in velocity between cases that weigh 2-3 grains more than others…….

That wasnt the results I got. 4 fps difference between exact case weights and random weights. The random weights ~9 grains actually out shot the exact weights. Weight sorting is a waste of time.

That’s interesting!
Anybody else get the same results?
I don’t know, maybe my chronograph is the variable or the TAC/H-335 powders?? Each powder was used during the same session so I don’t think it was a temp factor.
Here's Hornady,s take on weighing brass, whole podcast is good but specifically listen from 5-8 min section. Episode #121

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

kwg

My method:

Anneal
Bushing Die, with a bushing matched to brass thickness with bullet seated. I use FL Bushing dies, set to achieve desired "bump".
Expander mandrel

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Long range is not an option where I do my hunting. Like I said, I practice offhand because that's how I shoot 98% of my deer. Most of that practice is done with rimfire rifles and more than 3000 rds. a year are expended. That's why some of us can shoot offhand and some can't.
Theres trolls and people who just like to stir [bleep] up and you fit in both categories.
You assume alot and I suppose your gonna tell us you shoot 300, 400, 500 etc off hand 98% of the time

Last edited by sherm_61; 05/08/24.
T
T
I headstamp sort and trim. Anything that is visibly shorter than spec gets tossed, but I’m mostly shooting bolt guns so I’m asking for a touch more accuracy

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Theres trolls and people who just like to stir [bleep] up and you fit in both categories.
You assume alot and I suppose your gonna tell us you shoot 300, 400, 500 etc off hand 98% of the time
Then there's retards like you who score zero in reading comprehension.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,124
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.