Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I seem to remember an assassination several decades ago where our Intel agencies said “there is no proof”, “anyone that claims otherwise is a conspiracy nut” and poof like magic they lied.

I also seem to remember just a few short months ago that 50+ former US Intel operatives signed a letter stating that The Hunter Laptop was 100% Bullschit and Russian Disinformation, and poof like magic, there is proof and proof they lied.

So, you do you and believe our Deep State and our Intel Community is honest and chucked full of integrity.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
They lost power - putting them in a drift, power comes on, smoke goes out as they slam full astern (roll coal) but that doesn't provide steering.

Yes - full astern means full reverse. The prop spins the other direction but doing so doesn't push any water over the rudder for steering. The spinning prop then spins the stern of the boat to port because of it's spin direction.

A twin screw boat can steer in reverse because one engine in reverse, one is forward - causing a pivot like a tank and one side IS pushing water over a rudder for control.

Interesting. Thanks for the response.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Because when you go full astern on power with a single screw vessel - there's no steering but the prop walks the stern to port. Physics. Pilot/helm panicked, went full aft to avoid what they saw was coming and made it worse. Drift forward then into the support.

That's per a Navy helmsman and other sea guys I talked to yesterday.

Interesting Teal. Just so I understand better:

“Full astern” mean full reverse?

If so, why does that walk the stern to the left side? Is it because of the location of the prop, the direction it is spinning, or something else?

Also, was the steering out, but the prop was functioning? I haven’t seen any clear reports on that.

Just trying to understand better.

They lost power - putting them in a drift, power comes on, smoke goes out as they slam full astern (roll coal) but that doesn't provide steering.

Yes - full astern means full reverse. The prop spins the other direction but doing so doesn't push any water over the rudder for steering. The spinning prop then spins the stern of the boat to port because of it's spin direction.

A twin screw boat can steer in reverse because one engine in reverse, one is forward - causing a pivot like a tank and one side IS pushing water over a rudder for control.

This from some Navy guys I talked to yesterday and some local guys here who made a living on the Great Lakes. I'm 90 and 30 minutes from Fincantierti Marine's 2 shipyards here. We've got a lot of boat people in the area.

Me

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
All of our theories and speculation are fun, but I would bet on much more simple and common mechanical failure.
There is one thing that I would bet will be looked at by the investigating agencies...did the Dali take on fuel while in Baltimore? Of course we have no way of knowing, but there are many grades of marine diesel (Not like your diesel, it's a blend of diesel #2 and heavy fuel oil))...and moneywise of course, the owners buy the lowest grades and prices. It's up to the ships engineers to make the fuel work, by filtering, settling and or centrifuging. It's nasty stuff, often containing the dregs of the refinery or at least sediments from the bottoms of dirty storage tanks.
Fuel contamination for a dollar Alex.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by steve4102
I seem to remember an assassination several decades ago where our Intel agencies said “there is no proof”, “anyone that claims otherwise is a conspiracy nut” and poof like magic they lied.

I also seem to remember just a few short months ago that 50+ former US Intel operatives signed a letter stating that The Hunter Laptop was 100% Bullschit and Russian Disinformation, and poof like magic, there is proof and proof they lied.

So, you do you and believe our Deep State and our Intel Community is honest and chucked full of integrity.
Absolutely not. I don’t believe anything coming from them, but that doesn’t require me to believe something different from what I saw with my own eyes.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
All of our theories and speculation are fun, but I would bet on much more simple and common mechanical failure.
There is one thing that I would bet will be looked at by the investigating agencies...did the Dali take on fuel while in Baltimore? Of course we have no way of knowing, but there are many grades of marine diesel (Not like your diesel, it's a blend of diesel #2 and heavy fuel oil))...and moneywise of course, the owners buy the lowest grades and prices. It's up to the ships engineers to make the fuel work, by filtering, settling and or centrifuging. It's nasty stuff, often containing the dregs of the refinery or at least sediments from the bottoms of dirty storage tanks.
Fuel contamination for a dollar Alex.

I've heard this a lot too - fuel explains the loss of power/mechanical failure that some people just are completely unable to understand DOES happen without a "cyber attack", while simultaneously bemoaning how expensive it is to fix their Ford in the driveway and Mercury OB on the bass boat. Never making the connection.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The organization that I work for has facilities that regularly use this port. This will make things interesting for a while.

Agreed...

Lotta freight goes thru that Port.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Funny - you don't believe that intel community because of what you posted above but you DO believe that intel community telling some journalist exactly what you want to hear, possible or not. Because what NO ONE can explain is how a 55k hp engine got "hacked via cyber. They just claim it did.
Do t believe everything you think

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I live at the intersection of Rt.50 and Rt.2/179, in the lower left quadrant of this map. I look out my 2nd floor down onto Rt.50 to the south about 200 yards away.

You can tell from this illustration how waterways (primarily the Chesapeake Bay and tributary rivers) dominate our local world. There are no straight lines "from here to there". This is the hard reality that'll dominate the coming traffic congestion due to the bridge collapse.

I hear ya...

I used to live aboard my ketch in Pasadena (Maryland Yacht Club)... traffic in your zone is gonna be a double fiasco for a long time I suspect.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Funny - you don't believe that intel community because of what you posted above but you DO believe that intel community telling some journalist exactly what you want to hear, possible or not. Because what NO ONE can explain is how a 55k hp engine got "hacked via cyber. They just claim it did.
Do t believe everything you think

I'll do me and be happy, you do you and blame the world for your inadequacies.

I find it interesting that exactly ZERO of my former intelligence co-workers, who continued working at the 3 letter agency that doesn't get named after I left said work - don't buy the cyber attack at all.

Me

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here’s a clue,

The Biden Administration claimed there was no evidence of foul play, or terrorist activity, within a few hours of the collision.

That be some quick top notch investigators there, that God Biden and his Administration are that good.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You guys are missing the elephant in the room.

Ok the lights went out, supposedly the ship lost control, ok fine, but…

Why was this ship being steered so close to the support in the first place. Why wasn’t this ship being steered dead center between the two supports from the get go.

There was no reason for this ship to be piloted this close to the support when there was schit tons of room available.

This was intensional

VERY NARROW and specific channel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Once again... you are talking out of your ass Stevie Wonder...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here’s a clue,

The Biden Administration claimed there was no evidence of foul play, or terrorist activity, within a few hours of the collision.

That be some quick top notch investigators there, that God Biden and his Administration are that good.
You ever own a boat? Electronics and water are not friends. Chit tears up on boats. Boats don’t have disc brakes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought the loop the ship made when it first got underway was strange, but that map explains the course completely.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Absolutely not. I don’t believe anything coming from them, but that doesn’t require me to believe something different from what I saw with my own eyes.

What did we see? It’s hard to say without knowing what went on. I mean if you look, the first turn towards the support happened immediately before the power went out the first time. Then the big one came immediately after it came back on. It looks to me like if the power had stayed off, it would have slid right under that bridge.

Once again, I don’t know what happen and an accident is the likeliest thing but looks can be deceiving and are heavily influenced by what you decide to believe. For instance, if you were in a car and someone hacked it and you couldn’t control the steering, what would you do? You know what you would do, you would try to put it in neutral or turn off the engine. So, what if the ship were hacked and the crew tried to turn off the power? Then, when the auxiliary power came back on, the hacker still had control and steered it into the pylons. I’m not saying that happened, but if it had, it would probably look like what we saw in that video.

I don’t know that any of this happened, but it could. We have the strongest military on earth but we are so vulnerable in so many ways. And as for a hacker knowing exactly what would happen or how the ship and crew would react, who says he did if it happened? I suspect that to the extent there is cyber frickery going on with our infrastructure, a lot of it is pretty random to just see it any damage can be done. For all we know, this could have been the fifteenth time in the last year something similar had happened but nothing bad happened until now. With our current government, I wouldn’t rely upon the to tell us or fix the problem.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/27/24.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I thought the loop the ship made when it first got underway was strange, but that map explains the course completely.

Exactly... The navigation is damn tricky...

This video was the Evergreen grounding 2 year ago near Annapolis... I think it took over a month to get her free.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cargo ship mapping on the bay... Zoom out to see nationwide stuff.

http://www.shiptraffic.net/marine-traffic/bays/Chesapeake_Bay

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeBob

What did we see? It’s hard to say without knowing what went on. I mean if you look, the first turn towards the support happened immediately before the power went out the first time. Then the big one came immediately after it came back on. It looks to me like if the power had stayed off, it would have slid right under that bridge.

Once again, I don’t know what happen and an accident is the likeliest thing but looks can be deceiving and are heavily influenced by what you decide to believe. For instance, if you were in a car and someone hacked it and you couldn’t control the steering, what would you do? You know what you would do, you would try to put it in neutral or turn off the engine. So, what if the ship were hacked and the crew tried to turn off the power? Then, when the auxiliary power came back on, the hacker still had control and steered it into the pylons. I’m not saying that happened, but if it had, it would probably look like what we saw in that video.

I don’t know that any of this happened, but it could. We have the strongest military on earth but we are so vulnerable in so many ways. And as for a hacker knowing exactly what would happen or how the ship and crew would react, who says he did if it happened? I suspect that to the extent there is cyber frickery going on with our infrastructure, a lot of it is pretty random to just see it any damage can be done. For all we know, this could have been the fifteenth time in the last year something similar had happened but nothing bad happened until now. With our current government, I wouldn’t rely upon the to tell us or fix the problem.

I agree with you about our vunerabilities and about our dishonest government and press. All I’m saying is that if you’ve ever operated a boat, what we see happen in the video makes perfect sense for an equipment malfunction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here’s a clue,

Biden is an idiot, but:

He spoke more than 11 hours after the incident; said that it appeared to be an accident; and said that "there is no other information that it was intentional."

He didn't say that everyone was 100% certain that it was not intentional at that point. He simply said that there was no information to suggest that it was intentional at that point. Without any information suggesting that it was intentional, most people are going to assume that a collision is accidental. Of course, just because green space aliens killed JFK, you can assume, if you want, that they also caused an unfortunate allision where the ship obviously had lost power.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I agree with you about our vunerabilities and about our dishonest government and press. All I’m saying is that if you’ve ever operated a boat, what we see happen in the video makes perfect sense for an equipment malfunction.

Sure it does. But wouldn’t you like to hear from the pilot? Wouldn’t you like an actual explanation?

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (79S, 6mmbrfan, 35, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.