Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The pure blood patriot derp squad have unsurprisingly stumbled upon yet another conspiracy.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
As far as I know there has been no official release of any info, right? We don’t even know that the power went out. Everyone is just assuming since the lights went out correct?

By now they have a basic understanding of what happened. They should release some preliminary details. Everyone knows that there is a lot of investigation to go, but by now they at least know what the pilot and crew say happened.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
As far as I know there has been no official release of any info, right? We don’t even know that the power went out. Everyone is just assuming since the lights went out correct?

By now they have a basic understanding of what happened. They should release some preliminary details. Everyone knows that there is a lot of investigation to go, but by now they at least know what the pilot and crew say happened.

What is the likelihood of a lawsuit or two stemming from this incident?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Not sure if there is an official statement, but Maryland Governor Wes Moore has stated in interviews that the power went out on the ship.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

What is the likelihood of a lawsuit or two stemming from this incident?

People died, insurance companies are going to pay billions, there will be a dozen at least.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any idea of replacement cost?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buck two ninty eight

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any idea of replacement cost?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The fire conspiracy theorists have their tin foil hats screwed on tight for this one as expected.

The NTSB will sort it out, and they usually don't make statements until their ducks are in a row.

But not on here. keep the comments coming. Great entertainment!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Our distinguished leader has informed us that the 'Government' will pay the entire cost!

The 'Government'........has NO MONEY!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
All of our theories and speculation are fun, but I would bet on much more simple and common mechanical failure.
There is one thing that I would bet will be looked at by the investigating agencies...did the Dali take on fuel while in Baltimore? Of course we have no way of knowing, but there are many grades of marine diesel (Not like your diesel, it's a blend of diesel #2 and heavy fuel oil))...and moneywise of course, the owners buy the lowest grades and prices. It's up to the ships engineers to make the fuel work, by filtering, settling and or centrifuging. It's nasty stuff, often containing the dregs of the refinery or at least sediments from the bottoms of dirty storage tanks.
Fuel contamination for a dollar Alex.

You have a very good point, flintlocke. Naturally, they will get a tankful there in Baltimore. Five minutes after the fill-up, the boat conks out. Quite the coincidence.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Our distinguished leader has informed us that the 'Government' will pay the entire cost!

It's in the Government and public's interest to have this bridge rebuilt ASAP. Waiting on the insurances to figure things out for 8 years and THEN start a rebuild - doesn't make sense.

.Gov steps in - pays, gets the bridge replaced ASAP and then takes the money from the insurance.

That's the preferred event. Will that happen? Dunno.

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Lol.

That doesn't stop them from giving billions we don't have to the Ukes!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by flintlocke
All of our theories and speculation are fun, but I would bet on much more simple and common mechanical failure.
There is one thing that I would bet will be looked at by the investigating agencies...did the Dali take on fuel while in Baltimore? Of course we have no way of knowing, but there are many grades of marine diesel (Not like your diesel, it's a blend of diesel #2 and heavy fuel oil))...and moneywise of course, the owners buy the lowest grades and prices. It's up to the ships engineers to make the fuel work, by filtering, settling and or centrifuging. It's nasty stuff, often containing the dregs of the refinery or at least sediments from the bottoms of dirty storage tanks.
Fuel contamination for a dollar Alex.

You have a very good point, flintlocke. Naturally, they will get a tankful there in Baltimore. Five minutes after the fill-up, the boat conks out. Quite the coincidence.
Pure speculation on my part, it may be even simpler than I suggested.
Dirty fuel is the norm. It is customary to draw fuel from the ship's storage tanks, double bottoms, to what is called a 'day tank'...nothing more than a small tank quantity (maybe 40,000 gal) sufficient to operate for 36 hours, the day tank fuel is then drained of water, sediment and may be centrifuged, but always strained and filtered before it goes to the engines. That's normal...it's what they do.
But, because of the solitary nature of seagoing life, crew is desperate to get off the ship for a few hours, and a good skipper and chief engineer make sure that happens whenever possible. In the confusion of juggling schedules, the ever present possibility that some crew will return to the ship unfit for duty (Exxon Valdez)....sometimes important schidt doesn't get done, or done by someone impaired. It happens.
This is where I venture into fantasy...it's entirely possible the day tank was pumped full, but the fuel was not cleaned, and that was not noted in the engine room log...or was noted and missed by the engineer who had the duty when Dali departed. Big gulps of water or sediment overwhelmed the first filter bank, the engines (generator or main or both) died, the filter system was frantically shifted to the second redundancy bank, which promptly plugged and the second failure was the kill shot. This literally can happen in minutes. It has happened to me as chief engineer on a tug, when a split weld opened in the hull in a double bottom tank and all I could get was seawater into the day tank. Fortunately we had a cool head for a skipper, and he prepared for worst scenario immediately...no damage to vessels, crew other than embarrassment.
And finally, my original assessment at the first hours, complete failure of the electrical system...whether at the main bus or switchgear. Rare but it happens.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Teal

It's in the Government and public's interest to have this bridge rebuilt ASAP. Waiting on the insurances to figure things out for 8 years and THEN start a rebuild - doesn't make sense.

.Gov steps in - pays, gets the bridge replaced ASAP and then takes the money from the insurance.

That’s how it works. Been there, done that. The contractor makes bank on these projects!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gregintenn

That’s how it works. Been there, done that. The contractor makes bank on these projects!

Contractor actually does something resembling work, the kickbacks to politicos is where the real bucks are.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
And by the way, if port is left and starboard is right, then thatvbow went to the starboard side as giewed from the perspective of the pilot.

Exactly as I said - full reverse on a single screw prop walks the ship's stern to port - pushing the bow starboard in perspective.

They dropped the port anchor which would also cause a veer.
If the 55000 hp figure is correct there is still a lag. A drag boat this ain't.
Anyone know the winddirection?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I guessed from the black smoke I saw the wind was from port to starboard , give or take!

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kennyd
And by the way, if port is left and starboard is right, then thatvbow went to the starboard side as giewed from the perspective of the pilot.

Exactly as I said - full reverse on a single screw prop walks the ship's stern to port - pushing the bow starboard in perspective.

They dropped the port anchor which would also cause a veer.
If the 55000 hp figure is correct there is still a lag. A drag boat this ain't.
Anyone know the winddirection?

Dropping anchor ain't gonna stop it dead in it's tracks.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

The lights and engine stopped when the power went out twice

The Baltimore FBI office determined that is was an accident 6 hours after the incident with no investigation

lol

Move along now

Last edited by ribka; 03/27/24.
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (25aught6, 22kHornet, 222ND, 10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 65 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,379
Posts18,527,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.