Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Wife had some of them delphiniums...they wouldn't stop no ship I ever seen...I wouldn't eat one, even with tunny...but the deer liked 'em.

Used to go to our town's yard waste facility and scoop up any hostas people dropped off in the fall. Deer went nuts for them. That and broccoli.

Me

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
dangit all to hell, y'all are gettin off topic again.

I have a hard time with delphinimums. But the deers can't get them unless they get over a 6' fence and the whippets won't like that one bit.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Time for more tunnels..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeoW
Time for more tunnels..

The bridge was the approved Hazmat and oversize or over-dimensional route that services the harbor. Regulations state - no Hazmat in tunnels for obvious reasons. OD/OS - same issues.

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Teal
She's full of crap.

Yeah but she has GREAT TITS..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jorge...

A man with his priorities in order! smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Next bridge will be built with dolphins and I bet they review all others and require them for old bridges without.
Ive already made it known that I do NOT know jack chit about this kind of thing lol. What are dolphins?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nobody is here to spoon feed you. Have one of the orderlies at the Home show you how to use a search engine.

Thanks.
aWW, poor fat loser getting her panties in a wad. Wheres that cumglia roach dude? Here could flick your bean a bit if it would make you feel better

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next bridge will be built with dolphins and I bet they review all others and require them for old bridges without.
Ive already made it known that I do NOT know jack chit about this kind of thing lol. What are dolphins?

Large bumpers basically in the water on both the inbound/downbound side. Usually round and concrete from ones I've seen.
Thank you

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Large bumpers basically in the water on both the inbound/downbound side. Usually round and concrete from ones I've seen.

Big concrete ones below some of the dams on the Columbia/Snake.

Lots of wooden, piling types everywhere.

Big bumpers is right and sometimes a place to tie off and wait for traffic to clear so you can proceed.
And thank you

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Melons are overrated.

You must be a Coast Guard guy...
Yep. Bagged a carrier load of squid wives back in the day.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
So, when that bridge was built the average freighter was probably…what…40,000 tons? Bumpers, dolphins, whatever you call them should probably be included in the design of any new bridge. Because it seems like the odds are nearly one hundred percent that a ship that loses power for whatever reason while transiting through there is apt to hit that bridge. Should probably plan on it happening again.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/28/24.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TEU wise - when built, the ships were about 1/3 the size of the Dali. BUT that port handles more than just container ships.

Per this - don't know how accurate, average ship tonnage in 1970 was a hair over 200k

Tonnage.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Modern machines are complex and sh!!!t happens. Bring on more of those conspiracy theorists, never ending.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by abbydog
Modern machines are complex and sh!!!t happens. Bring on more of those conspiracy theorists, never ending.

Agree morons that buy into crazy psyops

Online Content
abby
dog

Campfire Regular
A
Connecticut
A friend from the neighborhood became an Infectious Disease doc, a Green Beret Medic in Viet Nam and subsequently was a reservist in the Army. A great guy, veteran causes are important to home and excellent doctor. He knows both Dr. Fauci and Dr. Osterholm and said they are both excellent in their field, some of the best.

So those are two men that you want on your side.

Last edited by ribka; 03/28/24.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If we still have the people that know how, maybe they will consider a suspension bridge this time...something like Verrazano-Narrows or Golden Gate.
Skip the dolphins and sheer walls.
The Hoover bypass bridge was farmed out to Oyabashi...after many f...kups and a fatality...it was eventually completed. We could always hire the Japs again.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
If we still have the people that know how, maybe they will consider a suspension bridge this time...something like Verrazano-Narrows or Golden Gate.
Skip the dolphins and sheer walls.
The Hoover bypass bridge was farmed out to Oyabashi...after many f...kups and a fatality...it was eventually completed. We could always hire the Japs again.
Maybe they learned their lessons about winds in that canyon after a measly gust took all four of their tower cranes down and forced traffic to detour around the dam for awhile? Including me having to take a 4-5 hour trip to get home from work instead of 45 minutes or so?

But, as it stands now it's a kinda nice bridge.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
As said before - power comes back on, the ship's hard turn is actually prop walk due to it being single screw. Full astern will cause the stern to swing to port, essentially lining the ship/effectively bow to starboard. It's a physics thing.

Your theory makes sense, Teal. But are you not believing the reports that the propulsion never came back on, and the black smoke was from the backup generator?

This engineer HERE has said that the smoke isn't diesel generator out the stack but main propulsion as fuel pressure comes up.

Again, it all makes sense. But that Commentary by Buckley III talks about the "Captain" doing all kinds of things. Is he meaning to refer to the Pilot? And the NTSB, I think, is saying that the Pilot recognized that the propulsion was out, never came back, and the only order he gave was to drop the port anchor. Perhaps that's wrong, but, as gifted as Buckley III may be, he wasn't there, and I assume the Captain wasn't issuing orders. Again, I could be wrong.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think the train tracks on the bridge over stressed it.😳

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The Environmental Disaster here is very concerning, the most concerning. At least the air pollution is abated temporarily. Imagine the state of the disturbed seabed at this moment? We must be very careful. Get this right!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LMAO....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,871
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.