24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sailboat keels work for me. Just awkward until you can suspend over a 55 gal barrel of water and hit it with the burner.

GB1

Sailboat keels work for me. Just awkward until you can suspend over a 55 gal barrel of water and hit it with the burner.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I could use a good source for soft lead in East Idaho.

Bb

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If in the Colorado Springs local, I have couple hundred pounds of lead I could get rid of. At my age, I don't think I will be casting anymore bullets. I also have a Lyman electric pot.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
If in the Colorado Springs local, I have couple hundred pounds of lead I could get rid of. At my age, I don't think I will be casting anymore bullets. I also have a Lyman electric pot.

I wish I could take you up on that but I'm too far east of you. I've been getting some in since I made this thread, so I'm not hurting for it like I was.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If any of you guys in Jefferson State need lead, you're welcome to contact me, free to you, 40 miles west of Mt Shasta. I would prefer that you plan to use the lead rather than resell it though.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So now that I am casing bullets for my Springfield Trap door, I need to be casing a 20-1 mix of lead and tin. Local scrap yard did have some lead pipes and roofing sheets. Are the lead pipes normally pure lead?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scoony
So now that I am casing bullets for my Springfield Trap door, I need to be casing a 20-1 mix of lead and tin. Local scrap yard did have some lead pipes and roofing sheets. Are the lead pipes normally pure lead?

I'd choose the roofing lead over any pipe if I had the choice. Potential problems with pipe, lots of nasty inside that you'll pay for to get them and extra work to clean when you smelt, and, there could potentially be moisture trapped inside and you WILL get a visit from the Sparkle Fairy if that moisture makes it to your pot.

Neither is a total deal breaker, but just be aware of how to deal with it.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes they are
yes they are

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So I melted down the lead roofing sheets. Lots of blues and purples at the surface as I fluxed it and the ingots still have the colors at the surface. I then melted down the sections of lead pipe and there were no colors, just nice shiny lead. The ingots remained shiny silver. Both are finger nail soft and make a dull thunk when dropped. Why the difference in color? What would the lead pipe have in it that would be different? If it had tin in the mix, would that cause it to remain silver? I have them separated, but have at least 50 lbs total.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So I melted down the lead roofing sheets. Lots of blues and purples at the surface as I fluxed it and the ingots still have the colors at the surface. I then melted down the sections of lead pipe and there were no colors, just nice shiny lead. . . .

I had some lead about a year ago that was the same
way. All iridescent and weird.
Trying to make a few round balls, and it wouldn't
pour properly. Soft when cool, but not like
ordinary run-of-the-mill lead you find everywhere
as far as trying to work with it.

Never did find a satisfactory answer, and just
discarded it and moved along

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve been using some sheet lead from the X ray wing of a hospital lately and it has the gold to purple sheen on the pot. Cut 50/50 with clip on wheel weights the sheen goes away along with some minor mold fill out issues.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So I have read that higher heat will cause the lead oxides to create the blues and purples. I maintained the same heat from the fead sheeting to the lead pipes and the pipe lead never got the colors.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If that’s the case I’d guess that the pipe or sheeting or both are alloyed with a pinch of something making them behave slightly differently.

I melted down 35 pounds of roof jacks a couple days ago and cast them into ingots. They should have been pure lead, probably, maybe. They exhibited no odd colors but the sheet lead I mentioned earlier does at the same temp. I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♂️

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.