Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I still have to figure a way to make it resistant to theft. I might consider wrapping a couple chains around it. But that is a bit tacky. Or possibly building a plywood cabinet around it with a hasp and padlock, which would be much more attractive.
If you're going to build a plywood enclosure, why not just build in a bunch of shelves and scrap the fridge? That would be equally secure and have more shelf space.
Insulation!

The garage is well insulated, with an insulated door. But it still suffers pretty severe temperature swings from night to day. Day time temp is aggravated by two working freezers and a refrigerator in the garage.

Storing powder and ammo inside a refrigerator will stabilize those temp swings.

Do those temp swings affect the powder/primer in some way?

Me

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
You can add local sprinkler heads to your normal plumbing.

Basically... you tap into your existing plumbing... run a new line and install the heads.

Won't meet NFPA code but it works just fine.

Basically... you tap into your existing plumbing... run a new line and install the heads.

Yep and since it doesnt meet code insurance companies wont cover damages if the sprinkler head decides to puke and flood the area which they do. Fun to wake up in the morning or come home and find a river going out the garage.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Feral_American
People worry about this stuff, but have they ever tossed an old couch or living room chair on a bonfire and saw how fast all the plastic based materials it's made of go up?

I was going to comment on the security aspect. Yes, you've got a lot of money tied up in powder, components, and handliads but who's gonna steal that stuff?
Zombies and their slaves when the Zombie Pockalips hits.

Duh.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal
I still have to figure a way to make it resistant to theft. I might consider wrapping a couple chains around it. But that is a bit tacky. Or possibly building a plywood cabinet around it with a hasp and padlock, which would be much more attractive.
If you're going to build a plywood enclosure, why not just build in a bunch of shelves and scrap the fridge? That would be equally secure and have more shelf space.
Insulation!

The garage is well insulated, with an insulated door. But it still suffers pretty severe temperature swings from night to day. Day time temp is aggravated by two working freezers and a refrigerator in the garage.

I do believe our own Mule Deer has written about his experiences.

If I recall correctly, he stores his (for the most part?) in old ice chests in the unheated garage.

I have some of mine stored that way, and some is in the well house where I have a messy reloading setup I need to get to cleaning for spring. The well house is kept above freezing in winter and being insulated runs a couple of degrees cooler than ambient in the summer.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wouldn't do anything other than a hasp but that might make someone more interested on what is in the fridge. Also, maybe a goldenrod inside for moisture control.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Teal
Insulation!

I do believe our own Mule Deer has written about his experiences.

If I recall correctly, he stores his (for the most part?) in old ice chests in the unheated garage.

I have some of mine stored that way, and some is in the well house where I have a messy reloading setup I need to get to cleaning for spring. The well house is kept above freezing in winter and being insulated runs a couple of degrees cooler than ambient in the summer.

I'm just thinking - the powder rides an unheated truck to the warehouse/distribution. Purchased and rides another to be delivered at home. Loaded, sits in the rifle during all kinds of weather. I get that temp, at that point, affects performance but does temp affect the potential performance prior to getting ignited at shot time?

Not poking - just thinking out loud. I'm probably not super concerned about temp control at home.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 12344mag
You moved the powder from the house to the garage why?

as long as you keep the powder in the original containers they just go PHoooooof in a house fire, primers just go bang and cause no damage as long as they are not contained in something and if the loaded ammo goes off it won't even penetrate you skin unless your sitting on it.

Stored properly none of the items pose any sort of a problem. Keep in mind if you put a padlock on the fridge you're going to produce more pressure than you would have if the containers of powder were sitting in the open.

In the OP, I purposely used the word "accelerant", not explosive.

Yes, I have tossed a match into a half pound or pound of loose smokeless powder on occasion. It goes up pretty quickly.

I got tired of imagining how quickly fifty plus one pound cans would combust, and what that would do to the internal temps of the house, and also the nearby gun safe in case in the, God Forbid, case the house does burn. Not to mention the fumes generated while two old crippled farts are trying to escape a burning house.

Also, 10,000 primers inside a fire safe kind of defeats the purpose of it being a fire safe.

The fridge has magnetic seals. That is primarily why it was chosen. A chain around the fridge would not prevent those doors from venting pressure. All they need is to open 1/2 inch. But a thief can not extract the contents through a 1/2" opening.

Even if I enclose it in 1/2 inch plywood, the doors would have room to crack open in an emergency, and the lightly nailed top would blow off with 1/2 pound of internal pressure.

A five gallon can of gas or, kerosene if you want a nonvolatile fuel for comparison is about thirty five pounds of fuel. But I don't think that is such a great idea to store inside the house either.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have been thinking for a while about the 50 some pounds of smokeless powder and untold thousands of rounds of ammunition stored in the house in case of a fire.

My wife's sister's refrigerator quit, so we moved it into our garage.

There is still a bunch of ammo in my gun room. But a lot less than before. And all the primers are out of the gun safe. Dessicant packs are incoming.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Have you considered taking up shooting as a hobby?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve been asking family and friends to save freezers for me for many years.

I have repurposed two 21 cubic ft Upright freezers for storing welding rods and other tools and testing equip. Things mainly I do not want mud daubers to fill every gap on.

Uprights are great, all of the wire shelves.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I'm just thinking - the powder rides an unheated truck to the warehouse/distribution. Purchased and rides another to be delivered at home. Loaded, sits in the rifle during all kinds of weather. I get that temp, at that point, affects performance but does temp affect the potential performance prior to getting ignited at shot time?

Not poking - just thinking out loud. I'm probably not super concerned about temp control at home.

The subfreezing temps of winter do not concern me nearly as much as the 100 degree plus days of summer. Some of this stuff has already been in my possession for ten years. Some of the powder stored here is still in square paper cans from Hogdons. 1970s? Earlier?

Who knows how much longer the components will be in my possession or my heir's?

It is believed that long term exposure to heat will degrade the performance of smokeless powder or ammunition.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by slumlord

I have repurposed two 21 cubic ft Upright freezers for storing welding rods and other tools and testing equip. Things mainly I do not want mud daubers to fill every gap on.

That was my first wish. But this refer fell in my lap.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah you dumb s hit…..go ahead and broadcast it to the world! Send Jesse Watters some photos snd he’ll put on his show! Dumbass!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 03/28/24.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by tedthorn
If the garage is attached it's a moot point

It is not.

Our fire dept is all volunteer, but they do have a respectable response time. I think they could keep the house from burning if the garage was ignited. Providing some one saw the fire and called them.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Yeah you dumb s hit…..go ahead and broadcast it to the world! Send Jesse Watters some photos snd he’ll put on his show! Dumbass!!
If you are on this forum, any body that matters already knows.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People worry about this stuff, but have they ever tossed an old couch or living room chair on a bonfire and saw how fast all the plastic based materials it's made of go up?

I was going to comment on the security aspect. Yes, you've got a lot of money tied up in powder, components, and handliads but who's gonna steal that stuff?

I was strictly commenting on the fire aspect. Folks look at a pound of powder and a box of primers and think hellfire, damnation, and nuclear explosion. That ain't how it works, unless it's contained.

As far as security, if they get past the toothy fearless pitbull and his two rather large and obnoxious mutt buddies, and past my security alarm system, and past me, then maybe they can just go on and take the damn stuff.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I spent 25 years working Fire Rescue. We had 3 shifts rotating every 24 hours in the fire station. We didn't store any accelerants in the fire station. But we did have 3 refrigerators in the station. One for each shift. All 3 had hasp's with a pad lock. It will secure your stuff pretty good. If one got left open all the good stuff would disappear in a hurry.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Methheads!

Our farm property, where we lived until four years ago, had one mile of dirt road access, with no other avenue of escape. If someone was in there stealing schitt, and we came up the driveway, they were stuck.

Still, copper wire, aluminum irrigation siphon tubes, and scrap iron all disappeared over time. Anything the animals think they might be able to sell to someone, even for a penny on the dollar. They don't care, as long as it gets them closer to their next fix.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ATVs.

One of the biggest scourge of situations like yours.
And even if you come home, chances they slip out, or you can't catch them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

I had a wonderful smoker, given to me by my landlady in college when I moved up the hill with my wife, made out of the shell of an old fridge. One of her old boyfriends had ripped the guts and insulation out, cobbled in some wire shelves, and whammer jammer, a big smoker. Did a good number of turkeys and a lot of $1 a lb albacore fresh from the docks. wish I had another one.

In it is contentment

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Yep and since it doesnt meet code insurance companies wont cover damages if the sprinkler head decides to puke and flood the area which they do. Fun to wake up in the morning or come home and find a river going out the garage.

Sprinkler heads do not just "puke". That is false narrative.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 25 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.