Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Quote;Using orange bumpers while dog training really opened my eye into how most dogs see. They'll see white bumpers on top of snow before they'll see blaze orange bumpers, though I do think some dogs are genetic exceptions to this.

Seriously...if you know anybody there that trains hunting does with bumpers, try to watch them for an afternoon. It'll be educating. : Unquote. I train dogs to run coyotes, they track with there noses and eyes if there is enough snow, they can pick out a track. They also run a coyote heads up and eyes on and if you look at a coyote, they have pretty good camo to start with. Stay low on stand and sit in front of a backing.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
The Canis family’s eyes are dichromats, IE, they only see blues and yellows. Reds and greens appear as yellow; depicted in the chart below:

[Linked Image from howitsee.com]

Here’s a comparison of what they see and what we see:

[Linked Image from rover.com]

They’re much, much more sensitive to movement than color. Camo is much like flies for fly fishing. They’re made to catch fisherman, not fish. As long as your pattern is broken up, they’ll probably not see you.

This says it best.Canines are basically what we would call red/green color blind.

HOWEVER.....I personally don't like the concept of calling while wearing orange, and its not because of the coyotes eyes, its the birds. Here in the west coyotes and magpies have a symbiotic relationship and often as not magpies will answer the call ahead of the coyotes.Magpies are not color blind....and they can botch a stand for you in a hurry..JMHO

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's messed up - I'm red/orange and blue/green color deficient.

Those pics look almost exactly the same to me. I literally see no difference.

Me

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Deer, yotes, they all can SMELL YOU THINk !! If you didn't smell like a skunk, to them, you'd be good to go !!!!

"not too grumpy"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have called coyotes within arms reach while wearing camo blaze orange. i believe in wearing clothing non contrasting to my surroundings.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by scratcherky
I have killed many deer wearing blue jeans.
Get your eyes checked, they weren't deer if they were wearing blue jeans.

Must have been wearing skinny jeans 😜

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Regarding blaze orange, several weeks ago, the day after a decent snow fall, I went coyote hunting in our wide open, Eastern Colorado plains, on public lands.

There was a truck in the parking lot when I got there, so I looked out in the fields, and saw a very dark stick figure way out there, maybe 1,500yds. I put my bino's on him to see if I could tell what he was hunting, and walking about 50yds to his side was another guy, in blaze orange jacket, hat and pants.

What surprised me was without the bino's, I probably would not have seen the blaze orange guy, while the dark camo-clad guy stood out easily. This was against a fresh snow background.

Next season, I am going to try wearing blaze orange after a snowfall for coyote hunting, as my 'snow camo'.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 57 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.