Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I have mentioned this rifle before. It is a Model 70 XTR PF in 7RM I bought off Gunbroker.

The bore scope saved a bunch of attempted load workup and subsequent cleaning chores. I did not realize I had saved the photos. I just stumbled across them cleaning up my photo files.

The rifle went straight to Shaw for a new barrel and shoots quite well now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep,great economical tool for the gun owner for about the price of a box of ammo these days and you could easily spend more than what one cost burning ammo trying to get a load that shoots well when it never will.I picked up a very lightly used Ruger Tang Safety model.That barrel had voids scattered throughout the barrel,even small voids in the chamber.Maybe why some of those Wilson barreled Rugers shot like crap.Sent it to Shaw and they did a good job for me.It shoots most loads between .5" to .75" now,way better than the 2" plus it shot before.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fortunately what a barrel looks like and how the rifle shoots are independent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
That is true in some cases but,you can chase your tail trying to get a bad barrel to shoot great.Knowing the barrel has issues and accuracy is poor too,with the cost of ammo these days,you could spend hundreds trying to get something to shoot well.I'd rather spend those hundreds in a better barrel if it's not very accurate.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could never figure out why Mrs Blacktailer's 308 Kimber would not shoot into less than about 2 MOA. Spent lots of money on components and lots of time and frustration. Then I got a Teslong and the problem was obvious. I agree with RP that some barrels shoot well even though they are rough but when rifle won't shoot after bedding and lots of tweaking and lots of load development and the bore is rough, you have found your problem. At least I did.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
To a point.

But even if the aforementioned Winchester had shot minute of deer at three hundred yards, someone would have been responsible for cleaning the copper mine out of those pits.

It was purchased as a gift for my son. No way would I turn it over to him in that condition.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No truer words have ever been spoken. However, if you buy from gunbroker or online, buy with an inspection period. Even if it's a "non firing" inspection period. Most sellers allow 3 days for that. The OP's bore would have been obvious, even with a good light and naked eye inspection. It would be pretty obvious and a quick inspection at that. One reason I prefer to buy my rifles in person. Or buy one from a well known seller. I've had to ask if the shop could clean a bore a time or 2 as well, so I could inspect them before I buy. A rifle like what the OP is showing would not have followed me home, at any price, and yes I've bought XTR's for pretty cheap.. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Old guns have the inherent risk of throat erosion and some barrel pitting. But it’s unfortunately what I like. Teslong verified as less then perfect, a pre-64 243 and a 722 257 Roberts shot for the first time yesterday. Teslong is a no doubt a great tool. But don’t walk away from a less then perfect bore imo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I submit that there's a bit of room between "don't walk away from a less than perfect bore" and how it shoots being independent of its condition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This rifle looks bad at the throat,but the farther down the barrel it gets better.It still will shoot about .5" groups,but it's one I don't shoot much anymore because I know it's days are numbered.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I've got one that is a lot worse than that by close to double and its one of my best shooters.

Just shoot it until it displeases, then change the barrel.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Teslong sitting on my desk. I ordered it several weeks ago, it came without the probe. I called Teslong and they said “sorry” and sent the probe. A week later I got the probe with no mirrors. I called Teslong, they said “sorry” and are sending the mirrors.

I can’t wait for what happens next…

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I've got one that is a lot worse than that by close to double and its one of my best shooters.

Just shoot it until it displeases, then change the barrel.

I do as well. That thing looks brand new.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,043
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.