Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Now, if you put that same $100 into the S&P 500 index funds on January 1, 1971 and reinvested the dividends back into the S&P 500 index funds, you would have had $20,584.12 as of December 31, 2023. Source:
https://www.officialdata.org/us/stocks/s-p-500/1971 And the S&P 500 is up about 10% from January 1, 2024 to present, so you can add $2,000 to that number. The index has beat inflation by an average of 6.48% per year per the cited source.

Originally Posted by Tarbe
Physical ownership of metal carries no counterparty risk.

Gold has the risk that people aren't going want it any more than dollars if the meltdown predicted by the doom and gloomers comes true. The true gold believers also appear to be operating under the beliefs that they would be masters of the universe in such a scenario and that the government and the 99.9% of the population that doesn't hold such assets are going to sit by and let that happen.

Plenty of people have speculated in stocks, even the "good" stocks, and lost money. If the million I lost in oilfield stocks 10 years ago had been parked in Gold (with no fees or taxes eating away at it).....

And how many times in history has the world turned its collective back on Gold? What are central banks hoarding right now, at record levels, around the world?

Right....Gold.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Now, if you put that same $100 into the S&P 500 index funds on January 1, 1971 and reinvested the dividends back into the S&P 500 index funds, you would have had $20,584.12 as of December 31, 2023. Source:
https://www.officialdata.org/us/stocks/s-p-500/1971 And the S&P 500 is up about 10% from January 1, 2024 to present, so you can add $2,000 to that number. The index has beat inflation by an average of 6.48% per year per the cited source.

Gold has the risk that people aren't going want it any more than dollars if the meltdown predicted by the doom and gloomers comes true. The true gold believers also appear to be operating under the beliefs that they would be masters of the universe in such a scenario and that the government and the 99.9% of the population that doesn't hold such assets are going to sit by and let that happen.

Plenty of people have speculated in stocks, even the "good" stocks, and lost money. If the million I lost in oilfield stocks 10 years ago had been parked in Gold (with no fees or taxes eating away at it).....

And how many times in history has the world turned its collective back on Gold? What are central banks hoarding right now, at record levels, around the world?

Right....Gold.

You are an idiot if you lost money in a proper spread in equities, bonds and the like. I met with my Fidelity guy two days ago. The past year has been good. Keep chasing gold...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Right....Gold.

While I wouldn't know enough to address your particular situation, and hindsight is 20/20 for both of us, a relatively conservative strategy of broad based index funds and ETFs has historically been very lucrative compared to gold so long as one maintained enough liquidity to continue to hold during a downturn. That is investing, not speculation. My hindsight is that I lost opportunities by buying into the doom and gloom approach for longer than I should have. Fortunately, I figured it out before it was too late.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Now is a good time to own gold. Now is a good time to sell gold. Now is a terrible time to buy gold.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Gold was ~$40/ounce in 1971 when Nixon closed the Gold window.

So the dollar has lost 98% of its value vs Gold over the ensuing 53 years.

Gold didn't change one bit. But the dollar sure did.

Imagine you were in a store in 1964 and bought $4 of stuff and paid with a $5 bill.

You had a choice to get a dollar bill in change, or 4 1964 quarters.

If you took the quarters, they are worth $19 today, because of their 90% Silver content.

The dollar bill would be worth....one dollar, not 19.

This, ladies and gentlemen, illustrates the difference between money and currency.

“The Dollar Sure Did “

And the “Faith” of the Dollar is about Destroyed..

If J. Rome cuts interest rates the countertrade which is underway in “Other Assets “ will Roar ..

I see a Commodity Super Cycle

Mr.Copper is Showing some Life

It will be anything but Holding Dollars

Oh the Stock Market will Burst Higher on the New Ink until Bond Yield's reach Nose Bleed Levels

Full Zimbabwean Zombieism

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gold has never been about growing money.

It's about maintaining wealth.

And had been used that way for eons by the wealthy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Day old Angus calves, 75 lbs. today brought 10.50@ lb., one weighed 95 lbs. and cost 10.00 lb.
Has nothing to do with gold, but I sold 4 head last month 2 cull cows and 2 calves. They sold high as a cat's back. One black white face bull calf about 1/8 Brahma 400 pounds brought $3.35 a pound or $1340. I was going to save back about 15 heifers this year. At these prices that will have to wait. Not sure how someone can pay $1340 for a sucking calf and make a profit.

As to gold, there is no way I would own paper gold or silver. There are ETFs that will sell you shares. Either take possession or maybe invest in gold and silver mining. Thief proof possession is the best bet and that doesn't mean a bank safety deposit box.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A 1964 dollar bill would be worth at least 10 bucks today.

A dollar spent in 1964 would compare to about a dime spent today, if that much.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Ladies and Gentlemen don’t fool Yourself it’s not Gold ..

It’s Oil Bitches..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akrange

It’s Oil Bitches..
How much oil can you hide in a secret location?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Day old Angus calves, 75 lbs. today brought 10.50@ lb., one weighed 95 lbs. and cost 10.00 lb.
Are you saying day old calves brought $800 to $1000?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$750 here, without an argument. 800 lb steers 2K. Beef aint going down anytime soon.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Hastings

It’s Oil Bitches..

Did you know that the Baby in the 1968 Movie
“ Rosemarys Baby “ was The Black Jesus.

Having said that if you don’t invest in the Jewish Game than you should stick with 5.56 and Gold
and Livestock..

Stay away from Fast Women is my only advice to You ..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stay away from Fast Women is my only advice to You ..
Yep. The three roads to ruin . The love of chance, the love of the grape, and the love of the FLESH.

I don't know how many I've seen but it has been a bunch of otherwise intelligent and educated men brought down into bankruptcy and even suicide over these three. Sometimes all 3 in combination.

And young women have been the worst.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Whoaaaa..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great news for those selling!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hastings

It’s Oil Bitches..

10k gallons...

HARD COMMODITIES... PHYSICALLY HELD.

Friend bought 1,850 pounds of new #1 bright copper flashing couple months back... It is up maybe 12%.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gold is sniffing war

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (6MMWASP, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,385
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.