Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All;
Good morning to each of you, it's my hope that wherever and whenever you're reading this that you're well as can be.

With the understanding that I'm not connected with this outfit in any way, shape or form and only handled it at a mountain hunting show.

As well, it's a Canadian made rifle and I have no idea of whether or not he's set up to export stateside or not. I know that the stocks he uses - Wildcat Composites - is at present unable to export because of some trade restrictions or insurance issues.

This then might be just for "information only" and if so, in true Canadian fashion - I am sorry about that.

We've been having a BC wide mountain hunting show in conjunction with the BC Wild Sheep Society banquet and this year a Wild Sheep Disease Symposium as well which I was able to attend.

As one can imagine there's everything from taxidermy displays, freeze dried foods, various packs, clothes and equipment, knife makers and a couple purveyors of mountain lightweight hunting rifles.

https://alpineriflecraft.ca/

This one uses a Wildcat Composites stock, which I've used in a couple builds and was very impressed with the weight and stiffness.

The action is his own design with a Mauser looking bolt and extractor bolt, a Model 70 type safety and Trigger Tech trigger.

It was an unbelievably smooth working action despite what looked to me to be very close tolerances.

Overall I was very impressed with how it felt for sure.

Whether it's worth the asking price is a question for the purchaser and maker to come to grips with.

Hope that was useful to someone out there.

All the best to you all as we plan our forays up the mountain for this season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My Canuckian import rifle is a lifetime keeper, maybe the last rifle to give up...beyond robust, idiot proof, adequate power, adequate accuracy and no plastic.
Some folks call it a Long Branch #4 Mk1.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Makes a Gunwerks look affordable!

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BCSteve;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope wherever you are in our province that you're well.

If you're down in the Lower Mainland, I hope you're able to go home early today too and beat the snow?

For sure the very nice young fellow who makes them isn't giving them away.

That said, if you get a chance to look at it, do take a close one if you're able.

The action was the slickest titanium action I've ever worked and I felt it was a well thought out package overall.

For sure barring my wife's lotto ticket numbers coming in anytime soon it's beyond my comfort level for a rifle, especially now as I'm just not doing deep backcountry excursions at my age. Not for a week at a time where something like that would've been nice.

All the best.

Dwayne

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
flintlocke;
Good morning to you sir, I hope you're getting the weather you all need in your section of northern California and the last week of February finds you well.

As I've admitted to in other sections of this site, I have an emotional attachment to the Canadian made Long Branch No 4 rifles, so while I "know in my heart" they're no better than any other, they remain my favorite.

On a personal note relating to the OP, I'm just happy there are some folks still involved in firearms manufacturing in western Canada left, as the current federal government has pushed a whole bunch of them into closure.

These rifles are a niche market for sure, but I thought it was interesting reading if nothing else.

All the best.

Dwayne

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
22 inch barrel, 7mm-08 reamed to 284 with the 3.0 inch COAL would be a pretty stout combo weighing in at 5 pounds 3 ounces. The only thing lighter than that would be your bank account afterwards frown

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Very cool looking rifles. Like that it’s not just another Rem 700 clone.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$9,375.00

End of search.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've purchased both my Kimber Hunters (.308 & .243) for under $1000 (I want to say the .308 was under $800 a few years ago) and w/ some minor work and minor expense they come in at under 5#

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
-30% for the Canadian Dollar exchange rate for you Americans. Actions and Stock made in Alberta, and barrels in BC. The owner is making an original run of 100 and has sunk his life into the endeavour. Wish him luck! Looks like a great design. I have sunk a lot of money into experimenting with light weight rifles and 5.5 pounds with a bit of muzzle weight to me is the sweat spot. Melvin Forbes got it right with the Model 24. This Canadian design has a super light stock and action with a fairly heavy barrel. Should be really good as the balance will be forward which will steady the rifle even though it's very, very light.

Last edited by North61; 03/29/24.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It looks very nice. I wish we could see some up-close photos of the action. Looks like it has dovetailed double square bridges, controlled round feed and a 3-position side swing safety. All the classic features.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is their facebook page. They seem a little shy about showing photos of the action, but from what they do show, it looks very nice. I like the lines of their stock. MTWarden makes a good point though: you can have a perfectly fine Kimber for a lot less $$$.

https://www.facebook.com/AlpineRiflecraft/

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The owner (Mike Drury) emailed me some photos of the action and it is flat-out gorgeous---double square bridges, dove-tailed and a nitrided bolt. It is a sculpted piece of metallurgical (titanium) beauty. I'm seriously tempted. He also said he could chamber it in 7mm-08 SAW II if I wanted. Here is a message he sent me:

"Hi:

I have some pictures I will email you of the receiver and bolt in the white. The receiver is TI 6246 solution treated and aged to RC40 and is superior to Ti 6-4 in all ways. The bolt is Alloy 4330V, tempered to RC 40 prior to machining, and salt bath nitrided after to about RC60. The large difference in hardness contributes to the smoothness."

Last edited by Tarquin; 04/12/24.

Tarquin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was going to go the custom route, this rifle would be near the top smile

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mtwarden;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of Montana is getting seasonally appropriate spring weather and you're well.

Honestly I've never ever been in a position in life where I could feel comfortable tying up that much money in one rifle, but there are folks who are that here and I put up the post for them.

As best as I can recall, the balance was very, very nice on the rifle he had at the show.

Without throwing shade on any other rifle actions either, it was super smooth to operate. The closest I can say is that it rivaled a 96 Swede action that I worked over for my late father first and then put in a Dayton Traister cock on open kit and polished it even more.

For a titanium or even stainless steel action, it was such that you'd run it and then sort of go, "Huh" and run it again because that wasn't what you were expecting. Like that. grin

I hope he does well with them, Lord knows we need folks in the firearms industry to do at least okay up here.

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If he's building quality rifles (and sounds like he is), word will get out and he should be golden smile

For me, I'd have to hit the lotto or possibly an inheritance from an unknown uncle laugh

E
E
Damn, looks like a really nice rifle. I'm pretty sure I should have one but my wife would no doubt throw me out of the house if I spent that much coin.....lol

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,683
Posts18,475,018
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.