Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
billj Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What is a good, accurate AR in 5.56? I'm not looking for a budget gun, but not a gold-plated one either.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like how they did the Springfield Saint.
Lots of upgrades already on it, but not a pricey boutique gun.
Not a budget gun either....good middle ground rifle.

One shooting buddy has a Saint and the other a Smith & Wesson.
The Saint is clearly the nicer gun.
S&W makes nice revolvers but their AR is basic entry level.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd recommend BCM or for slightly less an Aero Precision.
If you're wanting better Daniel Defense.

Really comes down to what you want to pay for. Upgrades cost extra and the parts removed are spares or sold at a loss, so upgrading everything makes a poor purchase overall.

Building exactly what you want is probably dollar for dollar your best bet.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been liking Geissele's products of late. They definitely get the triggers right, can't imagine their AR being a steaming pile of poo.

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You asked about an "accurate" gun. That means different things to many people.

I will skip a bunch of typing and just say this; I would use a White Oak Armament upper in whatever configuration best suited my needs and tastes. I would put it on a good quality lower that had a decent trigger. A good Colt, BCM, whatever. That matters a lot less, as long as it is quality, and assembled by someone who knows what they are doing.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I have used White Oak barrels and uppers in more than 2 dozen builds for guys and all shot very well. Usually using MK262 (77 grain Sierra Matchking), but that was what was available for them at the time and location.

Bottom line is that it is extremely easy to simply put a WOA upper on a good lower and be done.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rock River Arms has some rifles designed for hunting or match shooting that come with a .75" guarantee. My experience is they will do that with good quality factory ammo and handloads can turn in some startling small groups.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
If your looking for accuracy. heavy barrels help.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had good luck with BCM and Daniel Defense. I have a White Oak Armament 18 inch barrel that shoots very well. Same for a Rock River 20". There are lots of good choices for a mid priced AR. One thing to consider is that you probably want an after market trigger for the best accuracy. I like the Geissele SSA-E which is pricey but can be found around $150 when on sale.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
As others said, get a decent lower, you can get blemished lower from PSA and replace the trigger with Geissele trigger which you can do yourself, then shop for upper receiver, it all depends how much you want to spend and how heavy you want the rifle to be.

Last edited by duke61; 03/30/24.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Most first time AR buyers are going to grab a complete rifle.
For the money, I don't think there's anything on the market that can match this for a mid-range AR.
Buttstock, handguard, grip, trigger guard, trigger, etc are already upgraded from milspec and it's mid-gassed.
The Easy Button.

Base model is UPC: 706397935504
https://www.springfield-armory.com/ar-series/saint-ar-15-rifles/

https://gunprime.com/products/sprin...stings&utm_campaign=wikiarmslistings

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by billj
What is a good, accurate AR in 5.56? I'm not looking for a budget gun, but not a gold-plated one either.

We need a little more info. Answer some of these questions:

1. Price range? I realize you said, no budget guns, but not gold plated either. $-$?
2. What weight range??
3. Barrel length you desire?
4. When you say "accurate", how accurate?
5. Factory built, or would you consider a built rifle if someone had one here to sell?

Some of these guys are going off on a tangent, with suggestions of expensive unnecessary triggers and other schidt. I also would not suggest BCM, if you are looking for an "accurate" rifle. This thread would be better off in the AR and tactical rifle forums here. Those guys tend to know more about this kind of stuff. I will say that you don't have to pay Daniel Defense prices to get extreme precision from an AR platform. Nor do you need an overly expensive Geiselle SSA-E trigger. Those guys suggesting Springfield saints are out of their minds too. Those rifles are known to have issues. Again, that is why I suggest you move this question to the proper forums..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Most first time AR buyers are going to grab a complete rifle.
For the money, I don't think there's anything on the market that can match this for a mid-range AR.
Buttstock, handguard, grip, trigger guard, trigger, etc are already upgraded from milspec and it's mid-gassed.
The Easy Button.

Base model is UPC: 706397935504
https://www.springfield-armory.com/ar-series/saint-ar-15-rifles/

https://gunprime.com/products/sprin...stings&utm_campaign=wikiarmslistings
That looks like a great deal

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This if money matters at all.

Originally Posted by MOGC
Rock River Arms has some rifles designed for hunting or match shooting that come with a .75" guarantee. My experience is they will do that with good quality factory ammo and handloads can turn in some startling small groups.

This if best accuracy is worth risking a few more dollars.

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You asked about an "accurate" gun. That means different things to many people.

I will skip a bunch of typing and just say this; I would use a White Oak Armament upper in whatever configuration best suited my needs and tastes. I would put it on a good quality lower that had a decent trigger. A good Colt, BCM, whatever. That matters a lot less, as long as it is quality, and assembled by someone who knows what they are doing.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I have used White Oak barrels and uppers in more than 2 dozen builds for guys and all shot very well. Usually using MK262 (77 grain Sierra Matchking), but that was what was available for them at the time and location.

Bottom line is that it is extremely easy to simply put a WOA upper on a good lower and be done.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Something to add to your consideration.
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15/

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d get a lower and upper kit from Palmetto State Armory. They build decent stuff for a decent price. It’s entry level but it will get you into the AR world. Once you start shooting that AR, you can decide what you want from there. The possibilities are endless with the AR platform and lots of folks spend crazy money on them.

The lower and upper kit allows you to bypass the Federal tax on a complete rifle.

There’s no way I’d recommend someone pay top dollar for their first AR. It’s not necessary. Save the money for a decent Red Dot. The Sig Romeo 5 Red Dot is a good place to start and end.

And start watching videos on YouTube. Type in AR-15 and you will be entertained for days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple more things, a quality trigger on any AR will greatly improve accuracy. And I’d also suggest a mid-length gas block.

I like Low Power Varible Optics. LPVO is the vernacular you’ll see bandied about by AR folks. Primary Arms offers decent optics for a good price. I’d stick with a 1x6. 1x on a scope like that is more important than the 6x.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MOGC

A good place to start if you don't want to put one together.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really think about what you want this gun for.
Try to finger as many guns, set up and ready to go, as possible.

ARs end up exactly like custom bolt guns.
ACCURACY!!!

So the guy goes heavy barrel, heavy mounts, heavy scope, heavy....everydamnthing.

Then doesn't do anything much with it, because it's heavy.
It shoots great, a hell of a lot better than needed, but it's left behind.

A pencil barrel, lightweight handguard, a light scope.
Unreal handy.

Heavy barrel, heavy duty handguard, scope mounts by Caterpillar, and a hubble can
easily double that weight. And turn a rapier into a bludgeon.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be wise to decide what configuration you want before you buy. Some stuff is simple to change, others are better purchased at the start. PSA lowers are good, have mil-spec buffer tubes for stock compatibility, and can be had with the Geissle SSA-E trigger. I just bought that model on sale for $300, a good savings.

As mentioned above, a mid-length or even rifle-length gas system is preferred for smoother shooting, and possibly less wear on parts.

Look for good parts in an upper, bolt, carrier, etc. This video series has a lot of good info on what matters and what doesn’t:

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good points about the search for accuracy. Accuracy at the expense of handiness can work against you if you want an all-arounder. My 20” is kind of a pig with a big scope and heavy barrel, so I’m looking around for a carbine upper for normal use.

That heavy one does shoot very well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,707
Posts18,475,350
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.