Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And you don’t have to wait 10 years for a shortage anymore. The next shortage starts before the last one has ended now.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have been handloading for well over 40 years and have enough components on hand to shoot for the rest of my life. The things I don't handload, 22LR, 12 Ga, 410 etc... I have several thousand rounds stocked up. If you did not see this sort of thing happening you are either blind or stupid.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Just 1 more reason that you better have the capability to reload and make your own ammo. Mb

Oh yea...because reloading components are easy to get when things get weird. They are the first to go.

If you haven't stocked up before now then you have nobody to blame but yourself. I began laying in large amounts of loading components (in addition to what I already had) when Joey took office.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
I have been handloading for well over 40 years and have enough components on hand to shoot for the rest of my life. The things I don't handload, 22LR, 12 Ga, 410 etc... I have several thousand rounds stocked up. If you did not see this sort of thing happening you are either blind or stupid.
Same. Started stocking up on things in my 20s. Find good buys from old timers and bought up what they had.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by MAC
Same. Started stocking up on things in my 20s. Find good buys from old timers and bought up what they had.
Me also. I cannot shoot up all the components I have on hand. When ammo was unobtainable I would load 20 at a time for friends if they used .277 or .308 and I had the dies. Always loaded fairly mild middle of the road powder charges for others. There was a time when .30-06, .270W, and .308W could only be bought online from scalpers.

We won't go without ammo here.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Stophel
Does it really matter which giant, soulless investment firm owns it?

Exactly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MAC

Or didn’t have enough disposable income to invest the thousands of dollars on it. Some of us were pretty played out financially raising a family.

Virtue signaling about owning all that is like posting a pics of a garage full of expensive hot rods in response to a guy looking for an affordable car for his kid.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Exactly.

No foreign company should own any damn thing in this country. Whether it be eurotrash, yellow Chinese, or anyone.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, there should be no foreign ownership, but that ship has sailed a LONG time ago.

And it's what investment owned / controlled companies do, all in the name of increasing stockholder value.

Lots of phony synergies & paper efficiency gains, almost none of which are ever really realized.

In the meantime, the stock value goes up, short term, & the big, institutional stockholders sell at a nice profit.

And the cycle will repeat, likely with some of the groups being sold off.

MM

Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Exactly.

No foreign company should own any damn thing in this country. Whether it be eurotrash, yellow Chinese, or anyone.

While I agree with the nationalist sentiment, Wall Street will sell this country out for the smallest percentage increase to their portfolio. Those woke Silicon Valley firms are all owned by Americans, but that doesn't stop them from hurting this country to improve their bottom line. Character matters. Education matters. People who have nothing but contempt for their own country and its institutions are dangerous. People who have lived sheltered lives, never learned common sense, but who are highly specialized in one area and given immense power, are also dangerous.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MAC
Just 1 more reason that you better have the capability to reload and make your own ammo. Mb

Oh yea...because reloading components are easy to get when things get weird. They are the first to go.

If you haven't stocked up before now then you have nobody to blame but yourself. I began laying in large amounts of loading components (in addition to what I already had) when Joey took office.

This ^^^^^^

Originally Posted by MAC

Or didn’t have enough disposable income to invest the thousands of dollars on it. Some of us were pretty played out financially raising a family.

Virtue signaling about owning all that is like posting a pics of a garage full of expensive hot rods in response to a guy looking for an affordable car for his kid.

Even with today's record reloading prices, a pound of powder still only costs the same as taking the wife out to dinner in a sit down restaurant. A sleeve of primers costs about the same as a McMeal. I did not get my stash by burning thousands of dollars at a time. $10 this week. $30 a couple weeks from now. It's all about priorities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a Lee starter kit for Christmas from the inlaws when first married in '97. I never even put it together until I bought a buddy out for $200 a couple years later.

Press, dies, electronic and beam scales, etc. Some powder and bullets.

A pound of powder here. A box of bullets there. Bought some brass and had 1x fired brass from factory loads.

Bought primers or powder from an old gun nut who would buy guns, scopes or anything else shooting related at auctions then hit me up with loading stuff he had for sale that were included in some of his purchases.

In all reality I bet I have spent less than $1k on loading tools. Far more on components nut those are generally bought a few at a time unless a new cartridge and needing brass, bullets and dies, etc.

It can be done just takes time. If getting started now I would.put the cart ahead of the horse and get components first. Tools have been easy to get.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MAC

Nonsense.

How many tens of thousands of rounds of 577 Snyder do you have on hand?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by MAC

This ^^^^^^

Originally Posted by MAC

Even with today's record reloading prices, a pound of powder still only costs the same as taking the wife out to dinner in a sit down restaurant. A sleeve of primers costs about the same as a McMeal. I did not get my stash by burning thousands of dollars at a time. $10 this week. $30 a couple weeks from now. It's all about priorities.

Personally, I’m pretty well set up. I’m well stocked, though could always use more smile. If I stopped buying components and only kept what I have now I’d be fine for along time. I started out almost 20 years ago doing the same thing. I have a press my uncle gave me that was made by my great uncle, bought here and there etc. But imagine being a single income dude in his 20’s with a family looking to get into it now. It’d take a lot more to get started. That’s all I’m saying.

MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Vista, making about 3/5 - 3/4 of all the primers & RF ammo made in the US.

Some say; CSG wouldn't pay that kind of money just to shut it down, or move it halfway around the world.

Maybe not, but if things got really hot in Europe CSG could certainly divert completed product to where ever they see fit(bring the highest price). And that wouldn't bloody likely be the American hunter or sport shooter.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

Trust me I didn't toss "thousands" of dollars into it. Just a few bucks each and every paycheck while still taking care of my family. Primers here, bullets there, powder over that a way, brass whenever you find it. It's called planning ahead and investing in things that will come in handy. Hell I still pick up items whenever I find them like a couple of pounds of Varget Powder I found on the shelf. I have quite a bit of it already but you must take advantage of every opportunity.

I remembered what happened when OBozo took over and saw the writing on the wall with Joey. If you didn't then you weren't paying attention.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by MAC

Nonsense.

How many tens of thousands of rounds of 577 Snyder do you have on hand?

I don't have a rifle chambered for that round. So why would I give a damn about having any ammo for it? Asking such a question is beyond stupid. Now if you want to talk about 308 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5x55 Swedish, 9.3x62 Mauser and 375 H&H Mag I can put my hands on at least 1000 rounds for each right now and have the components to load at least 1000 rounds of each.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I started stocking up in August 2008 before the installation of the new leader in November. Then I consolidated everything to calibers that are common to a widespread area in my neck of the woods. I will continue to buy things to be self sufficient and not dependent on any retailer for my ammo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Exactly.

I certainly agree with that sentiment at least as far as critical "infrastructure" related industries goes..............and that include ammunition and component manufacturing.

As for other things, yeah, it would be great to make a concerted effort for the US to be completely self reliant again, but unfortunately that's not a possibility in today's world . Having so many mfgd goods coming from an avowed enemy such as China just does not strike me as being very intelligent.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
These giant corporations aren't really "people".... not like some particular individual you can call an "American" or a "foreigner". They are business entities that can be based in any country they like at any time. Simply open an office in the US, and bam, they're an "American" company.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (222Sako, 219DW, 1234, 219 Wasp, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,462
Posts18,508,236
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.