Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kute-
I'm from Joisey. It's a good place to be from!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
LOL.
Everybody posting info - Is anyone updating their profile?
I'm no "expert" at anything on this board. Did about 15 years of camping with BSA raising 3 boys. But don't BP hunt...yet. Which is why I visit here, finding out what it is I do not know.
I can only afford the retail outlet gear, but then again I'm not likely to punish it like some of these guys do either.
Hanging out here is like hanging out on a benchrest shooting board when all you have is a Marlin 22, and an old one at that. laugh
I've done that too...Even competed with it, and did not come in last. laugh

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ain't hard to tell who to ask questions to about what... don't need to read a resume.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'll play, but I mostly keep my mouth shut here because I am not yet a big game backpack hunter.

When I was coming up, Dad was strictly a bird hunter at the time, not being able to afford a deer lease, so that is what I learned. ALWAYS have been interested in wilderness survival. I started backcountry skiing solo at 16 yrs old, in 1979. Became proficient in Telemark style with skinny skis. Spent college at Texas A&M, was in the Corps of Cadets, did not take a contract but spent every weekend possible with my buds with minimal gear, did a lot of ropework off of highway bridges and out dorm windows with no formal training, just rope and carabiners, old style, not even a climbing harness. Whatever we could find to jump off or prusik up. Ski mountaineering in Colorado, then the White Mtns. of New Hampshire when I moved up there for grad school. Started a mountaineering club with two other guys at the school I was at, teaching a load of newbies how to get out in the mountains safely. No incidents other than a twisted ankle on one guy learning to ski. Moved to Oregon for a postdoctoral position, ski mountaineered there and in WA and BC almost year-round. Started a family of two kids and necessarily slowed way down. Took up driving sled dogs and been learning that for the last 13 years, been up to 50 miles into the wilderness, alone, with those dogs, and no method of outside communication. This is not supported racing with trails cut by snowmachines, checkpoints and places to crash. This is self-supported solo wilderness trekking.

I hope that at least qualifies me to pipe up on winter wilderness survival and travel. I'll pass on the hunting aspects and just shut up, sit back and learn from the rest of you.

I do use an Ultima Thule bag and like it. But I don't give a rat's tail what you use. Use caribou skins for all I care.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
old style, not even a climbing harness.

Not even a webbing swami belt?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No, I had an Army surplus twisted rope, two 'biners, and some prusik loops I made. We cut a piece off the end of the rope for a belt. No webbing. Had to worry about which way you fed the rope through the 'biners, otherwise you'd untwist it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huskyrunnr,

This is just my opinion, but your sort of experiences are one of the reasons I frequent the Backpack hunting forum and I hope you will share more of your adventures with us here!
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Believe me, the feeling is mutual. As many have said, no resume is necessary and there is always something to learn. I know I've learned a bunch from everyone hanging out here.

I was reading Deep Survival last night, a book that I heard about HERE, and many times it's the self-described experts who fool themselves into thinking they're on their 100'th cakewalk and they end up in deep scat.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Dave- 50 miles isn't quite far enough to be considered a backcountry ace...sounds like your a mile short....me, I'm 46 or so short...lol...

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ken, you're right, I guess it is kinda lame! But we both get out there and try don't we! That's what counts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Using a dulfersitz on vertical rock is literally a pain in the ass. BTDT, will do almost anything to avoid it doing it again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I may be one of the few that truly respects Mark, but I dont like to have a full profile just because of the internet fraud thing. I have met Mark many times and he is full of good advice. He justs comes across as gruff when he posts JMHO. I only like to post on what I have done or what I can be helpful in.

That being said I may be one of the few "young bucks" around here. I am only 26 years old but grew up hunting and fishing in Alaska. My family has owned a guide service on the kenai since the early 70's and I spent my fair share of time on the water and in the woods. Started backcountry skiing and mountanerring when I was 12 years old. Went on my first sheep hunt when I was 10. I bow and rifle hunt, but my true passion is fly fishing. I have worked in ski and mountanerring shops since I was 15. Managed the work part of a busy ski and bike shop. When I graduated high school I decided to go to collage at UAA. Graduated and became an air traffic controller. Just moved to Bozeman where I can work and play all the time. I feel gifted to have the opportunitys I have had to be in the woods and on the water.I hope I can share the information I have with you all.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My first sheephunting companion was 62 and he could walk away from me uphill anytime he wanted. I was learning the ways of backpack hunting and he WAS NOT the guy to learn it from. It was really funny how little he thought of gear, packing and so forth. He made up for it with fortitude.

Once he brought .270 shells for his 7mm Mag. He realized it and then guess what - he shot at a sheep with them!

I started packing his gear for him after that.

I adore non-experts, because the learning process is most of the fun, isn't it?

I try to hunt everything every year up here, and I just hope I can sustain that and not get bored with it. Right now I tell myself I don't need to go to Africa as an extension of my hunting, but I know that time will probably come.

As for my brash manner sometimes: I've spent considerable time building a good reputation up here, and although I don't need to be stroked, I don't need to be provoked. I've now opened a small retail store that has grown at over 20% per year for the last 3 years. I just took on another lease, well, nine months ago, for storage, because I am astounded at how much gear I'm moving out of here. There were a few niches that needed filling, however, and I took those on. Right up the street from Sportsman's Warehouse, which I shop at regularly myself for some items.

I will only sell things I believe in and use or have used and find solid. I bet only 10% of my customers have ever heard of an internet forum, so I can't be built or broken because of crap that happens here, it's just that I don't like ill will, period. Life's too short for that.

Anyway, seriously, take the time to get to know each other better and at least post where the hell you're from in your Profile. My mind needs frame of reference, that's all, and my bet is that alot of yours do as well.

Taylor

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
a good post. thank you! smile

this is where I live (at the bottom of these hills):

my everyday hiking grounds
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

from the top:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats some beautiful country Lefty, thanks for sharing!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
thanks! these are two of my favorite screensaver pics:

looking north from the spot #1&2 were taken (xmas day 07)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bet you might have a nice muley or 2 hiding on top there somewhere.... wink

Last edited by AkMtnHntr; 01/11/08.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
and a few goats too wink (the goats actually are doing quite well here)

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
before the color was all gone:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 42 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,306
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.