Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Oh yeah... for those that care.

My profile...

Born and raised hunting in AK with my Dad.
Ford owner.(chicks drive chevys)
Remington owner.(see #1) Swarovski owner. (never had a swaro fog,or fail in anyway)
Wiggy Bag owner. (3 of them)
Super Cub owner. (nuff said)
Guide license owner.(like to help others)
My dogs owner.(that's actually up in the air)He's 9 yrs. old but I think he is coming around...

I'm a pretty simple guy....

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude..haven't seen you around for a while.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Been busy making memories and more than a few regrets... Life is good....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Not boots at all. A really heavy-duty hiking shoe called Merrell Chameleon.

Not waterproof. I like wet feet over wet feet in heavy, waterproof boots. These are extremely light and have great support and traction. I wore them on three hunts last year and will start with them again this year.

Boots are overpriced and over-rated for alot of hunts in my opinion. A couple years back I went looking for a rugged-enough shoe that will take on and quickly expel water. This is the best I've found. I can "walk them dry" in about 15 minutes. Change socks the next day and drive on. I have never had any issues with then and I'm sticking to them for now.

Sitka Gear - Love it. Great pattern. Really blends in. I hunted all year in the Mountain Pant without issues. Yes, they dry extremely fast and do not work against you while climbing.
I'm sticking with them as well.

Yep, I sell and use both so this is officially a sales pitch, I guess... (cheesy grin)

Thanks for asking,
Taylor

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I fitted and sold a LOT of those in my last months as a "wage slave" and I knew young guys who wore them in the Himalayas and here in the Coast Range. I must have better support due to injuries and age, but, those do kick azz for quite a few guys I know.

NOBODY yet builds the mountain hunting boots I would like, but, as this sport grows, I hope to see more development take place.

Do you know if Sitka is going to make pants without those big leg pockets like BDUs, I would buy some of those as I hate those pockets. Interesting gear, it certainly seems to be working for a lot of guys in a lot of environments.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
As pointed out, I've updated my profile to reflect the Associates Degree in Culinary Arts.

Anyone need a list of hotels and restaurants where I may have worked?

Livin' in a glass house, with a teflon suit on,
Taylor

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Kute,
It would create a slight waste, but just take a razor blade to the pocket and remove it. (?) I sorta find it handy for changing from a ballcap to a beanie; stuff like that only.

Check this out:!!!
How's this for blending in?

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I agree with Marc, the Sitka gear is awesome!! It is all I have worn for the last 2 years in all kinds of weather.

Kute, the Sitka leg pockets are not just loose material like the military BDU pockets. They are very, very sleek.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Marc,
Have you tried the Merrell Sawtooth? I hunted most of my elk and bear hunts in a pair. Fantastic support for the money!

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/Mens-Active-Footwear/Hiking/Mens/Sawtooth.aspx

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been very impressed with my Sitka Mountain pants this last season.

I liked them enough that I just recently purchased a Sitka Downpour jacket, but not had a chance to put it to the test yet.
However, it looks like it is very well made, I especially like the way the hood fits.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had thought those shoes to Merrell, but was unsure. They make a really great product. I've got a pair of low top hiking shoes that I am absolutely in love with.

The Sitka clothing seems to be a real great product, I'm definitely going to drop some coin on some very soon.

Thanks for the information!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Resume WTF!!!! will there be a quiz also? Buzz off troll somewhere elde.

LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Marc, 379 Pete here. Remember me in your store last September? I still get a chuckle when thinking back to meeting you and seeing you chit yourself with glee when I told you I was Martentrapper. God that was funny!! grin.. Hey sorry for messin' with ya. Ultramag coaxed me into it HAhaha. Seriously though, you struck me as a straight shooter and a stand up dood.

My profile? I keep it vauge, see'ins it's the internet and all. Plus I don't have nuthin' to sell either. But I used some of the gear you sell, down on the Yukon this last year and it all held up well. Plus, you shore is a swell guy to sell us all that Mt house grub for cost!! I still have a ton of it left. I think I could turn a profit on it....(grin)

Hey I saw the Wiggys thread you posted on the PV site. That was pretty good info for the Wiggy newbs/naysayers. My wiggys bag has kept me warm on 2 separate hunting trips in Ak, and it's nice to sleep warm and toasty when the tent is a balmy 29. Jet boil is kick ass too.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You were supposed to get me vid of Marc Chitting himself with your introduction 379.

The spirit of the woods is like an old good friend!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I find it funny the guys bashing Taylor on here. Keep pouring gas on the fire. He Loves it. Notice his quote (The Ham) in the picture. That is Marc. Yeah he can be arrogant but from knowing Marc like I do he is the real deal. He will go to bat for a friend or fellow hunter when needed.

Call him a salesman if you want because that is what he is. He also happens to sell the best bags and day packs IMO you can buy along with other stuff.

He is also more of a hardcore (crazy( hunter ) than most on this site will dream of ever being. He hunts wet, sleeps wet until the bag drys him out and starts out wet in the morning for many days at a time in rugged terrain in Alaska just to shed weight on packing stuff in.

Anyone that knows much about me knows I pack a small village out in the woods but am scaling back slowly due to the thinking of Marc and for the most part he is right.

Call him Mr Egomaniac and see if he cares. Find me a former or current Marine that isn't damn proud of what they did for their country let alone the other services our great country has to offer and see how proud they are for what they have done.

I wouldn't own another bag than a Wiggys. So I back Marc 100% on the Wiggy Bag. I actually screwed up and flew out with just the thin liner bag this year on my moose hunt :-) with 379 Peterbilt

I still stayed warm. Jetboils I second. I am so happy I have mine.

I have cut and pasted that post of Marc's from the Pristine Ventures forum he recently did on his test on the bag and sent it to many friend outside that have come up or are coming up or that I know buy stuff that I use because it works.

Ask 379 I beat the hell out of my stuff and also expect maximum performance or I can it and start over. 379 has purchased most of what I have and loves his stuff accept my headlamp I use. My Wiggys bag will always be with me and I have to buy another one this year for my son as he is going with me next year.

My wife was in Prince William sound on a broken down boat with some friends two summers ago and were out there for a few days in her WET Wiggy bag and she came home saying it saved her life.

I am a firm believer unless you live here or hunt in Alaska you have no clue what it's like to hunt extreme conditions like we have. I moved up here 11 years ago now and have also hunted hard while here. And it only took me one year of living here to realize i needed better gear or I was in trouble.

What Marc sells or uses I back 100% accept the damn Wiggys pillow. ;-)

And last I back what he says as he has done it or he doesn't speak about it and in that case he isn't too proud to learn or ask someone about it to find out.

What most people don't know about Marc is he is pretty damn smart on how he hunts on not much of a budget. He hunts close to home without extravagent fly outs and long boat rides consuming thousands in fuel. He targets an area close and researches it and has drawn some tags that are close to home. He has utilized what he has and does it close and has been very succesful at it.

More so than most hunters up here. Especially for the short amount of time he has been here in this great state.

My profile - Hell I don't even know what it says.

I live in Alaska and moved here from Washington 11 years ago. I spend hours researching moose and moose hunting and live for the Swamp Donkey hunt. I have killed moose every year but one since I moved here and most years I have killed my moose and a proxy moose for an elderly person and yes it's legal to do with the proper license. So to date I am at 17 moose and 3 black bears and one Griz. Next year I plan to hunt Caribou for the first time and go after goat with the tag I am going to draw in Kodiak.

And take my son on his first Yukon Moose hunt as he will be 8 years old.

The spirit of the woods is like an old good friend!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He is also more of a hardcore (crazy( hunter ) than most on this site will dream of ever being. He hunts wet, sleeps wet until the bag drys him out and starts out wet in the morning for many days at a time in rugged terrain in Alaska just to shed weight on packing stuff in.
[end quote]

and for some perhaps tis impressive, and some not and I'd have to guess most here not so much.

Color me in the "not impressed" crowd, when you've done 42 days in the field, home is just some nylon and it rains hard for 35 of those days, get back to me about being wet, you might find an audience with me.

he wrote "a" book that's a long way from writing "the" book about hunting in Alaska.

and while I've been lucky to hunt this great state and love it, I have to chuckle at the notion that guys that "don't live or hunt here" are clueless DSMF'ers to a man. there's some guys that live in other locales that have both hunting and bp hunting a pretty firm grasp as to how to successfully do either.

and as far as the whole arrogance gig, he ain't the first Marine I've ever encountered nor the folks on this site.

Montana Marine comes to mind, the guy has a clue about some shooting related stuff, but he's got his own style and I've never seen arrogant as part of his recipe.

In fact for my mileage a teaspoon of arrogance lasts me a long while, it can be amusing if you have the wit to pull it off, but the look at me, look at me I'm a bad [bleep] runs it's course fairly quick with the players, the fans seem to have a greater appetite for the stuff and I'm sure the mileage varies.

My guess from limited contact with Marc, is he'd probably be a hoot to hang or hunt with.

But I am a firm believer that what you read and who you hang out with has the greatest bearing on what you will become in the next 5 years. dang near 50 years of life experience only confirms the above and I've yet to see much of an exception.

or maybe it just takes birds of a certain feather to be able to hang out or stand one another.

but the whole marketing gig of the maker of the bag Marc sells and some of Marc's attempts at either marketing or defending such, just don't do much for me.

it'd be one thing if the bag lived up to it's hype and in fairness I've only used the Kifaru special or whatever that gig is called now, and I know enough folks use the regular line of Wiggy bags that they must have some merit, but it's mostly just BS, I've survived just fine in bags of other manufacturer's for many years and actually like many of their features better than what I've seen that Wiggy or Marc can offer.

that doesn't mean that I think folks that use and like the stuff are clueless, it's no different than them choosing a different caliber for their rifle that ain't in the running to have a place in my stable.

We just have different preferences for a variety of reasons.

but I've whacked a bunch of critters with my caliber of choice for decades, the fact that some guy jumps up and down and says that caliber is chit, leaves me unimpressed, though I know many will run off to the store to buy whatever the guy shouting the loudest is toting, specially if he's got a bit of a resume/or profile (grin) to add credence to it.

has to be a fairly effective marketing tool, find guys w/out the confidence in their ability which often translates into questioning their gear choices as well, school them a little on hunting and hell you could sell them Coleman sleeping bags.

I've seen that technique used in Barney's often when I was there shopping and just have to chuckle to myself when seeing it in action. though Barney's does sell some good chit.

that Anchorage is a prime place to find a lot of hunters and wannabe hunters, comes as no surprise to me and a good place to peddle outdoor wares.

that the internet hunting forums are the same is no eye opener either.

but if you're gonna scream and shout at the fans, you're gonna get called on it sometimes by the players, just a cost of doing biz, no more no less.

that some fans take exception and try to get a pep rally going don't surprise me none either.

this post isn't intended as a sleight to either Marc or your defense of Marc or his wares.

just calling it as I see it.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
with 20/20 vision, to boot........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 375ultramag

Now that I know he's a wacky, zany, crazy hunter I'll have to join the bandwagon.

How is he starting out "wet in the morning" when he's using the magic lamilite? Hmmm.

The holes in Marc's stories are big enough to throw a cat through.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 threads, countless posts and still no actual response from ANYONE in refute of the shoddy build quality of thier gear. Amazing.

Has anyone wondered precisely how the wonder bag can weigh sub 3.5lbs and run "easily" to 25 degrees while it's 0 degree cousin (superlite) runs around 7lbs???????? They use the same material to insulate, btw. Might be time for a reality check.

Lamilite succeeds when an excessive amount of it is applied. Marcie masks this by using lamilite clothing up the wahzoo inside the bag; thereby simulating the obese 'superlite'.

David Copperfield would be proud...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
His test can be perfectly replicated with a moonstone synthetic and (fill in the blank) synthetic clothing.

I'd do it tonight if we had harder weather and the troll was starving.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 21, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1moredeer, 57 invisible), 15,250 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,834
Posts18,537,116
Members74,047
Most Online17,050
1 second ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.