Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by harv3589
I ordered a Canyon so it will have the 2.7, looking forward to trying it out, not towing heavy anymore. Selling my 2500 with the 6.6 gas, but it has been a great truck and engine. No issues like the 5.3, POS engine.

I’ve got a 5.3 in a 2004 Suburban that has been outstanding. Nearly 270,000 trouble free miles.

It’s a good motor ruined by the afm/dfm lifters nonsense which I think started after 2014 sometime? Might have to look that up. I had a 13 suburban foo foo ltz 5.3 6-spd and it was solid, thirsty but it was a short experiment as turns out I’m a truck guy lol. If get a 5.3 now just delete all that afm/dfm stuff and should be good. Or just find the ones with the truck motors in them lol...2.7t. smile
AFM was introduced in '07 with the body change.

5.3 and 6.0 only at that time.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, I originally posted this thread and wanted to chime in. I did end up buying a 2022 pre-refresh Limited Trail Boss with the 5.3, Has 12k on it when I bought it earlier this year. This particular model did not have the the afm/dfm so i'm not too worried about those. I have put 3k on it and no issues at all.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them

“John Wayne”
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’m certain I lump dfm/afm together. Whatever all the emissions stuff is that has the lifters and takes them out routinely under warranty. On gm forums it’s one of the most common warranty claims. Research away but all the stuff past a certain year has this common issue, it may be post afm. The 2.7 guys don’t have to worry about it though as they don’t have lifters. Nor a common warranty issue discussed on forums or seen by techs. Just change the oil and rotate the tires.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m certain I lump dfm/afm together. Whatever all the emissions stuff is that has the lifters and takes them out routinely under warranty. On gm forums it’s one of the most common warranty claims. Research away but all the stuff past a certain year has this common issue, it may be post afm. The 2.7 guys don’t have to worry about it though as they don’t have lifters. Nor a common warranty issue discussed on forums or seen by techs. Just change the oil and rotate the tires.
More issues than lifters with the 5.3 AFM engines.

Oil consumption can be an issue when you don't have a cylinder firing and seating those rings when combustion takes place.

The 2.7 Turbo gas engine also has AFM as well as 2 other operating modes.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/31/24.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yup it can shut down to two cylinders and has 3 cam profiles as well. And ability to ramp boost up to 28 psi. It’s very dynamic. But no lifters. The engineer videos show the actuator that shifts the cam to one of the three positions. Pretty slick and simple. 5 years no issues, engineers couldn’t break it in torture test, and passed all the same truck duty cycle testing any other truck engine needs to get through.

Dropping down to 2 cylinders is pretty cool. It can really sip for the empty highway stuff. But as said it can do more work than the 5.3 and is closer to the 6.2 at moderate elevation. Overall economy on fuelly shows its dynamic range ability and and boost efficiency about 13% better than the 5.3. Progress is great. Tow mode negates the afm but it isn’t an issue with this motor.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The performance of the Chevrolet 2.7 4 cylinder is pretty amazing. I never thought such performance was possible from such a small displacement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The performance of the Chevrolet 2.7 4 cylinder is pretty amazing. I never thought such performance was possible from such a small displacement.
Boost any engine that can handle it and things can get sporty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup it can shut down to two cylinders and has 3 cam profiles as well. And ability to ramp boost up to 28 psi. It’s very dynamic. But no lifters. The engineer videos show the actuator that shifts the cam to one of the three positions. Pretty slick and simple. 5 years no issues, engineers couldn’t break it in torture test, and passed all the same truck duty cycle testing any other truck engine needs to get through.

Dropping down to 2 cylinders is pretty cool. It can really sip for the empty highway stuff. But as said it can do more work than the 5.3 and is closer to the 6.2 at moderate elevation. Overall economy on fuelly shows its dynamic range ability and and boost efficiency about 13% better than the 5.3. Progress is great. Tow mode negates the afm but it isn’t an issue with this motor.
I wonder what years/models/engines that the tow mode kills the AFM?

My '08 still deactivates 4 cylinders in tow so anything under 60 I just leave in 3rd.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/01/24.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (260Remguy, 1OntarioJim, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.