Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Other than you need to find RL 26.

lol….true.

But using the same powder for either load the trajectory and drift are very similar.

H4831 is still the 270’s bread & butter.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 150 LRAR is a very soft bullet that often doesn't hold together and often loses most of its weight with close range shots. It needs a 1 in 9 twist otherwise its b.c. is reduced, unless you can get it up to about 3150 fps, in which case it's close range terminal performance will be worse. Reloder 26 is not temperature stabile and is not ideal when temperatures get up around 90 degrees or more. If you are running a 10 twist barrel, you are much better off with 140 grain weight bullets using around 58 grains of H4831sc in a .270 Win at around 3020 fps in a 24 inch barrel and 71 grains Retumbo in a .270 WSM at around 3200 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Pressure with both those "maximum" charges is low and accuracy is very good at least in my rifles and the powders are temperature stable. If you need more than a 140 grain .277 projectile you jump to a 180 grain projectile from a .30-06 or .308 at around 2700 fps.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
The 150 LRAR is a very soft bullet that often doesn't hold together and often loses most of its weight with close range shots. It needs a 1 in 9 twist otherwise its b.c. is reduced, unless you can get it up to about 3150 fps, in which case it's close range terminal performance will be worse. Reloder 26 is not temperature stabile and is not ideal when temperatures get up around 90 degrees or more. If you are running a 10 twist barrel, you are much better off with 140 grain weight bullets using around 58 grains of H4831sc in a .270 Win at around 3020 fps in a 24 inch barrel and 71 grains Retumbo in a .270 WSM at around 3200 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Pressure with both those "maximum" charges is low and accuracy is very good at least in my rifles and the powders are temperature stable. If you need more than a 140 grain .277 projectile you jump to a 180 grain projectile from a .30-06 or .308 at around 2700 fps.

What game have you taken with the 150 LRAB?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Brad

Elk

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Elk

Have a picture of the recovered bullet(s)? Other details like retained weight and expanded diameter?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Elk

Have a picture of the recovered bullet(s)?
No, only the elk. Late afternoon and you run out of light for multiple photos, and skinning and butchering. And I don't post photos at any time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you did recover the bullet?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The bullet ceases to exist as one item, but is in pieces with core and jacket separation at various depths of a large animal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The bullet ceases to exist as one item, but is in pieces with core and jacket separation at various depths of a large animal.

So you didn't recover it, and assume it's in pieces in an animal. Got it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You haven't got anything. Judging from your other posts you just seem to be a very angry person with pent up frustrations looking for an argument.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You haven't got anything. Judging from your other posts you just seem to be a very angry person with pent up frustrations looking for an argument.

Hardly - you just make sweeping statements about a bullet with absolutely nothing to back it up. Pretty simple really.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Hardly - you just make sweeping statements about a bullet with absolutely nothing to back it up. Pretty simple really.
You're the one who posted that they were "depressed" with all the "long-range bullchit" and you weren't even replying to me. Perhaps you need to get out and practice shooting at longer ranges some more, then go hunting some more so you can get out of your depression. And spend less time on the computer trying to pick arguments with people.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The 150 LRAR is a very soft bullet that often doesn't hold together and often loses most of its weight with close range shots.
I've had reports that it's not the best elk bullet.

It needs a 1 in 9 twist otherwise its b.c. is reduced, unless you can get it up to about 3150 fps, in which case it's close range terminal performance will be worse
The 150ABLR has shot fine in two of my 1-10 twist 270's at 6000ft in altitude with no evidence of stability problems. And when I shot for drop it matched what was predicted with the advertised BC.

Reloder 26 is not temperature stable and is not ideal when temperatures get up around 90 degrees or more.

Kind've. RL26 loses velocity as temps decrease, and gains velocity as temps increase. It does so in a roughly consistent manner. From 75 degrees to single digits it shot to the same place at 100 yds, and I've done it more than once with differnt rifles. And unlike most I actually temp test my hunting loads. Obviously trajectory will change as velocity changes. RL26's behaviour is different than other temp sensitive powders I've tested.

Have you temperature tested RL26, or any other of your hunting loads?

If you are running a 10 twist barrel, you are much better off with 140 grain weight bullets using around 58 grains of H4831sc in a .270 Win at around 3020 fps in a 24 inch barrel and 71 grains Retumbo in a .270 WSM at around 3200 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Pressure with both those "maximum" charges is low and accuracy is very good at least in my rifles and the powders are temperature stable. If you need more than a 140 grain .277 projectile you jump to a 180 grain projectile from a .30-06 or .308 at around 2700 fps.

No. Everything being equal the 150gr is a better hunting bullet than the 140. Better sd, better BC. Because of the the difference in velocity between the 130g, 140g, and 150g, the difference in trajectory is nil. But RL26 shines in the velocity department with heavy for caliber bulets.

The difference on elk between say, 150 NPt in 270 and a 180 NPt in a 06 is impossible to distinguish. I've killed elk with both.

I've been using a 270 for over 50 years, Ive been chronographing 270's for over 40 years, and I've been temp testing hunting loads for 35 years. I've killed a few dozen elk with 270's, more elk with other cartridges. I've got more data on 270's in my load/chronograph binders than most people have load data.

I have a partial box of 150 ABLR's left, doubtful I will buy more. My lifetime supply of $15-$20 a box of NBT"s with a BC of almost .500 will do fine for reaching out and killing a pronghorn. For everything else I'll probably be using Partitions or E-Tips. And quite likely my elk loads will be powered by H4831 (the old fashion kind--not the diminutive short stuff.....).

Just playing around Riflehunter, you have a good rest of your day.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 04/07/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 150 LRAR is a very soft bullet that often doesn't hold together and often loses most of its weight with close range shots.

So, how many elk did you kill with this bullet to arrive at this sweeping statement? You're giving the impression that it's many. If it was, then you're not very smart sticking with a bullet which offers such poor performance. If it was just one, then you're FOS.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

So, how many elk did you kill with this bullet to arrive at this sweeping statement? You're giving the impression that it's many. If it was, then you're not very smart sticking with a bullet which offers such poor performance. If it was just one, then you're FOS.
Brad, you're the last person who should be talking about not being very smart. And I can see that you're getting angrier and angrier, so I'm not communicating anymore with you. I just hope that you don't sink to lower depths of depression than what you're already in.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I've had reports that it's not the best elk bullet.

It needs a 1 in 9 twist otherwise its b.c. is reduced, unless you can get it up to about 3150 fps, in which case it's close range terminal performance will be worse
The 150ABLR has shot fine in two of my 1-10 twist 270's at 6000ft in altitude with no evidence of stability problems. And when I shot for drop it matched what was predicted with the advertised BC.

Reloder 26 is not temperature stable and is not ideal when temperatures get up around 90 degrees or more.

Kind've. RL26 loses velocity as temps decrease, and gains velocity as temps increase. It does so in a roughly consistent manner. From 75 degrees to single digits it shot to the same place at 100 yds, and I've done it more than once with differnt rifles. And unlike most I actually temp test my hunting loads. Obviously trajectory will change as velocity changes. RL26's behaviour is different than other temp sensitive powders I've tested.

Have you temperature tested RL26, or any other of your hunting loads?

If you are running a 10 twist barrel, you are much better off with 140 grain weight bullets using around 58 grains of H4831sc in a .270 Win at around 3020 fps in a 24 inch barrel and 71 grains Retumbo in a .270 WSM at around 3200 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Pressure with both those "maximum" charges is low and accuracy is very good at least in my rifles and the powders are temperature stable. If you need more than a 140 grain .277 projectile you jump to a 180 grain projectile from a .30-06 or .308 at around 2700 fps.

No. Everything being equal the 150gr is a better hunting bullet than the 140. Better sd, better BC. Because of the the difference in velocity between the 130g, 140g, and 150g, the difference in trajectory is nil. But RL26 shines in the velocity department with heavy for caliber bulets.

The difference on elk between say, 150 NPt in 270 and a 180 NPt in a 06 is impossible to distinguish. I've killed elk with both.

I've been using a 270 for over 50 years, Ive been chronographing 270's for over 40 years, and I've been temp testing hunting loads for 35 years. I've killed a few dozen elk with 270's, more elk with other cartridges. I've got more data on 270's in my load/chronograph binders than most people have load data.

I have a partial box of 150 ABLR's left, doubtful I will buy more. My lifetime supply of $15-$20 a box of NBT"s with a BC of almost .500 will do fine for reaching out and killing a pronghorn. For everything else I'll probably be using Partitions or E-Tips. And quite likely my elk loads will be powered by H4831 (the old fashion kind--not the diminutive short stuff.....).

Just playing around Riflehunter, you have a good rest of your day.
Wow!! I'm impressed. As you probably know, Brian Litz, who I'm sure you've worked with being a fellow ballistician, tested that same 150 grain LRAR bullet and got significantly different results to you in terms of b.c. But maybe he wasn't at 6000 ft. And as I said, a bullet can shoot accurately and seem to be stable but if that stability isn't at 1.5 or above, it can be losing b.c. Before I forget, which published b.c. by Nosler did your findings match with that bullet, the original G1 of .625 (?) or the .591 which they revised it to? I'm glad we agree on RL26 not being stable. It's good that you have settled on the 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip with a b.c. of .496 and a speed of let's say 2800 fps with the long grained H4831. Just sight it in 3" high at 100 yards and as you say, at 350 yards its down 9.7" with a 10 mph wind drift of 9" compared to the 140 Sierra TGK at 3000 fps sighted in 3" at 100 yds which is down only 6.4" and drift of 8.2. Of course, the Berger 140 with a b.c. of .528 drops less and drifts less. Yet the noble Alpinecrick says they are the same, and the noble Alpinecrick is an honorable man...so are they all....honorable men. Unfortunately, the only .277 150 grain bullet with a very good b.c. is the Badlands SB with a b.c. of .710 and none of the 150's that work properly (i.e. obtain their full b.c.) in a 10 twist barrel at sea level have decent b.c.'s....they can't, because they would be too long to fully stabilize in a 10 twist at sea level if they had even reasonable b.c.'s. Oh, there's one more thing. When you are testing actual b.c.'s, make sure next time that you haven't got a tail wind and that the target isn't lower than the muzzle of the rifle. Hint. Congratulations on your cow elk.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 04/08/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Brad, you're the last person who should be talking about not being very smart. And I can see that you're getting angrier and angrier, so I'm not communicating anymore with you. I just hope that you don't sink to lower depths of depression than what you're already in.

Translation: you’re FOS

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

At least with your low IQ and your corresponding low income, you can afford to "contribute" 30,230 posts on the internet, even if you can't afford to go hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

At least with your low IQ and your corresponding low income, you can afford to "contribute" 30,230 posts on the internet, even if you can't afford to go hunting.

Translation: you’re FOS.

I, for one, am not fooled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Translation: you’re FOS.

I, for one, am not fooled.
Yes, you're just a fool.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,541
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.