B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
So you did recover the bullet?
The bullet ceases to exist as one item, but is in pieces with core and jacket separation at various depths of a large animal.

So you didn't recover it, and assume it's in pieces in an animal. Got it.

I agree it’s a fast expander but I’ll bet the base weighing about 30-40% was somewhere against the hide. Only a sample of some animals with 3 being elk, I haven’t been able to blow one up. My issue with the darned things are getting them to shoot. Some guns come together real quick and some you might as well hand toss them.

Semper Fi
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well, at least I’m “noble”…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Well, at least I’m “noble”…….

Yeah that does beat being a low IQ broke fool who cant elk hunt lol.

I do, however, know how to use paragraphs, so there is that...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a 1:8 Lilja 3-groove on a Kimber 84L Montana action/stock w/duplicated factory profile chambered in 270Win @ 22". I have shot 2 rag horn bulls w/the 150ABLR @ 3000fps via R-26. Both were inside 150yds and over 100yds.

Through poor communication and a dozen elk milling around/trotting off, my hunting partner and I ended up shooting the same bull. I shot 1st, heard the hit but saw no reaction. My buddy was sitting basically right next to me and put 2 210TTSX from his .338Win into the same bull. He gutted his bull and I went to find a blood trail as I didn't realize what had happened yet. There was an inch of fresh snow, I followed the small band's tracks for over a mile, finding no blood, I returned and we finished up his elk. Upon skinning, there was 3 holes in the chest, one of them of much smaller diameter being the entrance from my 150ABLR, low in the chest, tight behind the shoulder, right where it should be with a golf-ball sized exit out the other side. First a sense of relief that 1. There's no wounded elk wondering about, 2. I didn't blow a very simple shot, then a good laugh and finish getting the elk into coolers.

The next morning, I'm sitting in the same spot and another rag horn comes up the trail walking almost directly towards me. When he clears the contour enough for me to see his whole chest I put the crosshairs just inside his on-side shoulder and squeeze. At the trigger break, he's dipping his head to take a step up and the bullet enters his neck just behind his ear. Instant lights out, no wiggles. I found the slug @ the base of the neck on the off-side, I don't recall how many vertebrae were essentially turned to "bone dust", several.

The bullet expanded to .550, weighs 55gn, and is peeled back all the way to the start of the boat-tail. Obviously lots of mass was lost, but, the lead that did remain, is still bonded to the remaining copper jacket.

I've shot several deer with the same combo and from 425yds to 550yds, I have yet to recover a projectile, having complete pass-throughs and much more "visible" reactions to being hit than the 1st elk gave.

I've worked up a load for the 140gn BadLands Super-BullDozer to 3075fps, also w/R-26. Accuracy is excellent and the 1 deer I shot @ 50yds through the chest ran about 30yds and tipped over but no recovered projectile.

I know this is the elk forum, but, I have taken more deer than elk. My experience shooting several deer w/140gn TSX's (.404 BC, Ramshot Hunter Powder) from the 270Win @ 3030fps from 450-550yds is virtually indistinguishable from my experience w/the 150ABLR FWIW.

Last edited by horse1; 04/08/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You certainly come across as an arrogant prick.....

Even using your numbers - which are only 1 way to look at it - you apparently can utilize the decreased wind effects at 350 yards of 1 inch given the bullets you cite.

Also nice try on biasing the numbers. H4831 has only been getting 2900 ft/sec in my 270s for 30+ years with "long grain H4831". Using 2900 for the ancient 270, the difference at 350 yards among the bullets you mention amounts to less than 1.5" elevation and less than 1" windage.

I'll take the 270, 150 Accubond at 2900, or 3000 with Re 26, over any of the bullets you mention. At 350, BC doesn't matter much given a decent starting BC. Bullet integrity matters way more than BC at those distances.

And I'll take Brad and alpinecrick on getting it done with a 270. Or any other rifle they have in their hands.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bwinters
You certainly come across as an arrogant prick.....

Even using your numbers - which are only 1 way to look at it - you apparently can utilize the decreased wind effects at 350 yards of 1 inch given the bullets you cite.

Also nice try on biasing the numbers. H4831 has only been getting 2900 ft/sec in my 270s for 30+ years with "long grain H4831". Using 2900 for the ancient 270, the difference at 350 yards among the bullets you mention amounts to less than 1.5" elevation and less than 1" windage.

I'll take the 270, 150 Accubond at 2900, or 3000 with Re 26, over any of the bullets you mention. At 350, BC doesn't matter much given a decent starting BC. Bullet integrity matters way more than BC at those distances.

And I'll take Brad and alpinecrick on getting it done with a 270. Or any other rifle they have in their hands.......
Winters, Neither the OP or Horse1 were being an "arrogant prick", so I think you owe them an apology. Perhaps you keep your low-life gutter talk out of this forum. Sure, you can load the 150's higher than 2800 fps with H4831, but so too can you load the 140's higher than 3000 fps with H4831. Unfortunately, you missed the point that the comparison was to demonstrate that the two different weight bullets are not the same as stated by Alpinecrick (who you with your gutter-talk would probably call Alpineprick). I do agree that bullet integrity matters if using the 150 LRAB on elk, and as others have clearly indicated, it is not the best bullet for elk at close range...especially if you aim for the shoulder. It's good to know that for you to get it done on elk, you need a back-up such as Brad (who spends all his time on the computer making 30,200 posts instead of hunting) or Alpinecrick who has tried very hard to do the right thing with all his testing, but unfortunately has drawn the wrong conclusions from those tests. Perhaps one day you can hunt elk by yourself.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Winters, Neither the OP or Horse1 were being an "arrogant prick"

I can't speak for the OP, but, I do know he didn't mean me.

Last edited by horse1; 04/08/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by horse1
Winters, Neither the OP or Horse1 were being an "arrogant prick"

I can't speak for the OP, but, I do know he didn't mean me.
Winters seems to be one of these guys who always needs assistance. First, he needs assistance by Brad or Alpinecrick in "getting the job done" on elk, now he needs assistance by yourself (Horse1) or someone else in deciphering who he is referring to in his post. Some people are like that, always needing assistance.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 04/08/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'd be 100% correct horse1.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
he needs assistance by Brad or Alpinecrick in "getting the job done" on elk, now he needs assistance by yourself (Horse1) or someone else in deciphering who he is referring to in his post. Some people are like that, always needing assistance.

bwinters never said he needed my help or alpinecrick's. A child could decipher he meant he'll trust either of our experience getting elk in the freezer with a 270, "or any other rifle they have in their hands"... ie, "we get it done."

Capiche?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And again 100% accurate! This reading comprehension thing must be hard <G>

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well, whatever he meant with his gutter talk, thanks everyone for assisting him in explaining what he meant.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, whatever he meant with his gutter talk, thanks everyone for assisting him in explaining what he meant.

The fact you resort to petty, personal attacks, coupled with your lack of reading comprehension, poor writing structure in your brain-numbing, authoritarian/lecture-style posts, all adds up to my BS meter getting red-lined. But please, carry on not responding to me as promised...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a 1:8 Lilja 3-groove on a Kimber 84L Montana action/stock w/duplicated factory profile chambered in 270Win @ 22". I have shot 2 rag horn bulls w/the 150ABLR @ 3000fps via R-26. Both were inside 150yds and over 100yds.

Through poor communication and a dozen elk milling around/trotting off, my hunting partner and I ended up shooting the same bull. I shot 1st, heard the hit but saw no reaction. My buddy was sitting basically right next to me and put 2 210TTSX from his .338Win into the same bull. He gutted his bull and I went to find a blood trail as I didn't realize what had happened yet. There was an inch of fresh snow, I followed the small band's tracks for over a mile, finding no blood, I returned and we finished up his elk. Upon skinning, there was 3 holes in the chest, one of them of much smaller diameter being the entrance from my 150ABLR, low in the chest, tight behind the shoulder, right where it should be with a golf-ball sized exit out the other side. First a sense of relief that 1. There's no wounded elk wondering about, 2. I didn't blow a very simple shot, then a good laugh and finish getting the elk into coolers.

The next morning, I'm sitting in the same spot and another rag horn comes up the trail walking almost directly towards me. When he clears the contour enough for me to see his whole chest I put the crosshairs just inside his on-side shoulder and squeeze. At the trigger break, he's dipping his head to take a step up and the bullet enters his neck just behind his ear. Instant lights out, no wiggles. I found the slug @ the base of the neck on the off-side, I don't recall how many vertebrae were essentially turned to "bone dust", several.

The bullet expanded to .550, weighs 55gn, and is peeled back all the way to the start of the boat-tail. Obviously lots of mass was lost, but, the lead that did remain, is still bonded to the remaining copper jacket.

I've shot several deer with the same combo and from 425yds to 550yds, I have yet to recover a projectile, having complete pass-throughs and much more "visible" reactions to being hit than the 1st elk gave.

I've worked up a load for the 140gn BadLands Super-BullDozer to 3075fps, also w/R-26. Accuracy is excellent and the 1 deer I shot @ 50yds through the chest ran about 30yds and tipped over but no recovered projectile.

I know this is the elk forum, but, I have taken more deer than elk. My experience shooting several deer w/140gn TSX's (.404 BC, Ramshot Hunter Powder) from the 270Win @ 3030fps from 450-550yds is virtually indistinguishable from my experience w/the 150ABLR FWIW.

Clay, thanks for a real-world post about the effectiveness of the 150 ABLR. Ditto Scotty's (beretz) post. I've had a box of 277/150 LRAB's sitting on the shelf for a few years, and need to get around to trying them on elk. I don't expect different results than what you guys have had, which is to say they work fine (ie, hardly any different than 50 other bullets). Apparently yours and Scotty's examples "didn't "cease to exist as one item, but are in pieces with core and jacket separation at various depths of a large animal" as our hero here claims (even though he has no evidence for this).

Was chatting today with Dober about the LRAB. He took a nice bull a few years back with the 168/7mm version from His Mashburn (3,200 fps MV). He shot the bull quartering away at 300 yards, and recovered it in the neck after 32"+ of penetration. It put the bull down hard, even though the spine was not hit. His experience mirror's yours and Scotty's (see attached photos).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Horse, you and your buddy have it right. The 140 grain SB is the very best bullet you can use in a .270 (the 150 SB is probably a bit too long and robs a bit too much in powder) when b.c. is taken into account and your buddy using the .338 Win Mag with the TTSX on elk is an excellent choice as the results he obtained prove. The only thing I would "tweak" a little is the .270 WSM rather than the .270 Win and with your buddy, the 225 TTSX rather than the 210TTSX. But these are just minor differences.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Horse, you and your buddy have it right. The 140 grain SB is the very best bullet you can use in a .270.

Anyone who declares something "the best," or believes the concept of "best," is either incredibly naive, or full of BS. In your case I'm pretty sure I know which is the case.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well-done Mr Do-Nothing Brad, you've got depressed, done nothing yourself for years with the 150 LRAB, posted other people's pictures, made 30,200 posts on the internet, talked to others...but always done nothing yourself. A total do-nothing loser.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well-done Mr Do-Nothing Brad, you've got depressed, done nothing yourself for years with the 150 LRAB, posted other people's pictures, made 30,200 posts on the internet, talked to others...but always done nothing yourself. A total do-nothing loser.

lol, yup! That's me in a nutshell...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Clay, thanks for a real-world post about the effectiveness of the 150 ABLR. Ditto Scotty's (beretz) post. I've had a box of 277/150 LRAB's sitting on the shelf for a few years, and need to get around to trying them on elk. I don't expect different results than what you guys have had, which is to say they work fine (ie, hardly any different than 50 other bullets). Apparently yours and Scotty's examples "didn't "cease to exist as one item, but are in pieces with core and jacket separation at various depths of a large animal" as our hero here claims (even though he has no evidence for this).

Was chatting today with Dober about the LRAB. He took a nice bull a few years back with the 168/7mm version from His Mashburn (3,200 fps MV). He shot the bull quartering away at 300 yards, and recovered it in the neck after 32"+ of penetration. It put the bull down hard, even though the spine was not hit. His experience mirror's yours and Scotty's (see attached photos).

Dober was really the reason I focused on them. After he hammered that bull and knowing what it went thru I was sure it'd be fine, and honestly, It is now on my radar as one of my favorites since it really does create a good swath of trauma and puts stuff down for keep. The base holding together to get to the far side is just icing on the cake. I know I was very impressed.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Anyone who declares something "the best," or believes the concept of "best," is either incredibly naive, or full of BS. In your case I'm pretty sure I know which is the case.

What we have here is somebody who is quite well versed using a ballistic calculator, not so much when it comes to terminal performance and killing elk…

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,674
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.