Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Horse, you and your buddy have it right. The 140 grain SB is the very best bullet you can use in a .270 (the 150 SB is probably a bit too long and robs a bit too much in powder) when b.c. is taken into account and your buddy using the .338 Win Mag with the TTSX on elk is an excellent choice as the results he obtained prove. The only thing I would "tweak" a little is the .270 WSM rather than the .270 Win and with your buddy, the 225 TTSX rather than the 210TTSX. But these are just minor differences.

The last sentence is the best IMO.

After having seen/taken elk with 270's and 130, 140, 150, and 155gr bullets. They all work. Now if you want to argue ballistic minutiae go ahead.

When working up loads for a 1:10 twist, I tried the 145gr ELD-X and 150gr LRAB. The ELD-X shot better. I found the ELD-X to be soft and ruin meat on antelope and deer. Have no desire to try one on an elk.

When working up loads for a 1:8 twist 270 WCF I have, I shot 170gr BT's, 155gr LRX, and 150gr Badlands Super Dozer. The rifle shoots all of them really good. Since I had an elk tag last fall I went with the LRX, proven bullet design and manufacturer. I plan on using the Badlands this fall on antelope and deer.

I have never fired a 165gr LRAB out of any of my 270's. Do not plan on it in the near future, but never say never. I do not like soft bullets as they cause excessive meat loss.

As far as 338 projectiles, I will take a 210gr mono every time and not worry one bit. Ballistic minutiae excluded of course. If included, probably want to start looking at the 270gr ELD-X for hunting.

Arcus Venator
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some of these guys like Alpinecrick keep making the same mistakes over and over again. I suppose the saying holds true "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". If they improved their shooting a bit, then they could hit what they aim for. They could then use good mono's to break the shoulder of elk (which incidentally, are not significantly different to other large, heavy boned game) instead of worrying about missing the shoulder because of their poor aim and going through the ribs, with the mono's not expanding enough. Hence, they use too soft a bullet.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Son, I used X-Bullets to a kill elk and a moose in the early 90’s—bet you weren’t even on the planet yet.

Odds are I’ve killed more elk at less than 100 yds than you’ve killed elk. More so, as age and nobility set in, one realizes the difference between .05 in BC and 100 fps has very little to do with consistently bringing home elk.

Indeed, my fav lead core elk load is the 160 NPt—which shoots a lot flatter than any ballistic calculator predicted using the advertised BC.

My problem is every time I carry that load in one of my 270’s I can’t find an elk more than 60 yds away….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Well-done Mr Do-Nothing Brad, you've got depressed, done nothing yourself for years with the 150 LRAB, posted other people's pictures, made 30,200 posts on the internet, talked to others...but always done nothing yourself. A total do-nothing loser.
Did you get hit in the head recently, or just now frequenting this section of the forum? There are a fair number of guys on here that have filled their elk tags for as long as they've tried. I wouldn't know Brad if I saw him on the street, but I do know that he's killed a ridiculous number of elk. He knows how to work on rifles, is willing to offer solid advice when asked, but alas, doesn't appear to suffer fools. And yet, here you are...

Last edited by drakecasey; 04/08/24.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used an original 140gr Barnes X, out of a 270 to kill a Colorado elk in 1994. Never shot a moose with one though.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by drakecasey
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Well-done Mr Do-Nothing Brad, you've got depressed, done nothing yourself for years with the 150 LRAB, posted other people's pictures, made 30,200 posts on the internet, talked to others...but always done nothing yourself. A total do-nothing loser.
Did you get hit in the head recently, or just now frequenting this section of the forum? There are a fair number of guys on here that have filled their elk tags for as long as they've tried. I wouldn't know Brad if I saw him on the street, but I do know that he's killed a ridiculous number of elk. He knows how to work on rifles, is willing to offer solid advice when asked, but alas, doesn't appear to suffer fools. And yet, here you are...
And what makes you significant enough that what you say has any value at all...fool?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Son, I used X-Bullets to a kill elk and a moose in the early 90’s—bet you weren’t even on the planet yet.

Odds are I’ve killed more elk at less than 100 yds than you’ve killed elk. More so, as age and nobility set in, one realizes the difference between .05 in BC and 100 fps has very little to do with consistently bringing home elk.

Indeed, my fav lead core elk load is the 160 NPt—which shoots a lot flatter than any ballistic calculator predicted using the advertised BC.

My problem is every time I carry that load in one of my 270’s is I can’t find an elk more than 60 yds away….
Alpinecreep, wrong again about the Barnes X (which I've used significantly - yes they copper fouled, generated higher pressure, didn't open as well as the TSX's and weren't as accurate) and I'm not your son, old man. If you can't take it, don't dish it out in the first place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should write a book: The Definitive Guide to Rifle Bullets. Subtitled: The Answer to Everything.

Any tips on elk bullets in the 7mm Rem Mag from 25 to 600 yards? A friend wants to know.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

My problem is every time I carry that load in one of my 270’s is I can’t find an elk more than 60 yds away….

Ain’t no problem I can see grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
You should write a book: The Definitive Guide to Rifle Bullets. Subtitled: The Answer to Everything.

Any tips on elk bullets in the 7mm Rem Mag from 25 to 600 yards? A friend wants to know.....

Almost lost my coffee….

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks for the chuckle Bill smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Anyone who declares something "the best," or believes the concept of "best," is either incredibly naive, or full of BS. In your case I'm pretty sure I know which is the case.

What we have here is somebody who is quite well versed using a ballistic calculator, not so much when it comes to terminal performance and killing elk…

Casey, the longer this goes on the more convinced I am we're dealing with a teenager in his mom's basement - or at least the adult version of it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Son, when it come to using a ballistic calculator you’re the man, when it comes to using the bullet in the field it’s obvious you’re plumb full of it…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I about spit my coffee out.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Winters, yes certainly. Tell the friend to rebarrel and rechamber to 7 PRC and use 175 grain bullets. (And notice that I wasn't rude enough to repeat your stutter...b-b-b-winters, b-b-b-winters)

Last edited by Riflehunter; 04/09/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by beretzs

Ain’t no problem I can see grin
The problem is he can't see an elk further than 60 yds without spectacles, and is too frail to carry binoculars around his neck.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone who declares something "the best," or believes the concept of "best," is either incredibly naive, or full of BS. In your case I'm pretty sure I know which is the case.

What we have here is somebody who is quite well versed using a ballistic calculator, not so much when it comes to terminal performance and killing elk…

Casey, the longer this goes on the more convinced I am we're dealing with a teenager in his mom's basement - or at least the adult version of it.
Brad, I don't usually reply to trolls such as yourself, knowing that in real life they are both mentally and physically very weak, gutless creatures who, if you did meet them in real life would be hard to distinguish between dog crap and a living thing. But, I make an exception in this instance, and only this instance.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Son, when it come to using a ballistic calculator you’re the man, when it comes to using the bullet in the field it’s obvious you’re plumb full of it…..
I keep telling you I'm not your son. I have very good genes which have come from my parents, not poor genes, which, were you my father, would be inferior. Now I know you'd dearly love to have a son like me, someone you could be extremely proud of, but unfortunately I can't change the fact that you weren't good enough to have me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Thanks for the chuckle Bill smile
Stop sucking ass you pathetic, weak, spineless creature.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,321
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.