Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Call JES. If he hasn't cut the chamber then ask him to cut it to 357 Magnum. Some rifle chamber reamers (I prefer Clymer's 357 Max reamer) are available with cylindrical throats. All mine have been 357 Mag chambers that were either rechambered with a Clymer 357 Max rifle reamer or were properly throated with a cylindrical throating reamer.

Bellm has experience with monoblocs.

Medics bury their mistakes..
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Well, this may be a case of getting too soon old and too late smart. I expect JES has completed the job by now. The TCR barrel and monobloc arrangement are not suited to setting the barrel back. The barrel is press fit into the monobloc and then pinned. I'm not aware of any currently operating gunsmiths who are willing to pull or install a barrel in the TCR monobloc.

Bellm's post was dated September 2023. Wonder if Dinny's guns were factory chambered or if they are rechambered .357 magnums and if so, when and who did the work. Very interesting that SAAMI specifications are a flawed design for .357 mag and max. I can understand the need for a forcing cone in a revolver where cartridge alignment with the barrel isn't perfect, but what would the purpose be in a gun where the chamber and barrel are integral? Are SAAMI revolver and pistol/rifle chamber specifications the same? I'll have to try my hand at chamber casting when the TCR barrel is returned.

Also interesting that, according to Bellm, other straight wall pistol cartridges have the same SAAMI chamber design issues. I have a TC Encore .460 S&W barrel that shoots longer 300 gr bullets better than shorter stuff. Might have to do a chamber cast on that too.

Am I mis-reading or are you confusing "forcing cone" with "throat"?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My understanding is that revolver barrels have a forcing cone that receives the bullet as it exits the cylinder. The portion of a rifle chamber between the mouth of the case and the rifling is the throat. The leade is the portion from the end of the throat where rifling tapers from throat or groove diameter to bore diameter.

Bellm's SAAMI chamber drawings in the post Dinny referred to show a tapered throat with a breech end ID the same as the case neck OD and tapering to ?groove diameter at the front end of the throat. I assumed this was the "long throat" you referred to above. If I understood his description correctly Bellm asserts that the rear of the throat with an ID greater than bullet OD allows the bullet to tilt before encountering the lands.

So in effect the SAAMI .357 max chamber has a throat with a forcing cone profile which does not fully support the bullet between exiting the case mouth and entering the rifled portion of the barrel. A long throat is not necessarily a tapered throat.

So, I was wondering why the SAAMI chamber throat was tapered. And ,if Bellm is correct about other SAAMI straight wall revolver cartridge chambers, why Thompson Center would use a tapered throat in their rifle barrels.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 04/19/24.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Dinny
Call JES. If he hasn't cut the chamber then ask him to cut it to 357 Magnum. Some rifle chamber reamers (I prefer Clymer's 357 Max reamer) are available with cylindrical throats. All mine have been 357 Mag chambers that were either rechambered with a Clymer 357 Max rifle reamer or were properly throated with a cylindrical throating reamer.

Bellm has experience with monoblocs.

This has been an interesting and educational exercise....and just the sort of thing I appreciate participating in 'fire discussions.

I called JES and left a message asking him to cut the chamber to .357 Magnum if his .357 Maximun chamber reamer did not have a cylindrical throat.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 04/19/24.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Well, the rebored barrel arrived today so my call to JES is moot.

I'll chamber some spent .357 cases to check out the ejector. It might need kissing with some fine grit wet dry sandpaper but I 'll wait to pass judgement after checking with fired and unfired cases. IIRC my Springfield, MA factory TC .460 S&W barrel ejector needed the sharp edges taken off.

I have 158 gr and 180 gr bullets, primers and H110, IMR4227, and CFE BLK powder. When I scare up some .357 max cases I'll report how it shoots. The LGS had a bag of .357 Max Starline brass a year ago very reasonable and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have enough Maxi brass to share.

Medics bury their mistakes..
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Dinny, PM sent

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 46 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,844
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.