Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Went to my local gun shop and got 36 pieces of 35 Rem! 70 pieces of Hornady 6.5 Grendel. The 35 Rem is very hard to find! $20 for all. He treats the locals very well on fired brass.

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coton
Went to my local gun shop and got 36 pieces of 35 Rem! 70 pieces of Hornady 6.5 Grendel. The 35 Rem is very hard to find! $20 for all. He treats the locals very well on fired brass.
Nice find. I've actually seen 35 Remington ammo in two of the last three gun shops I've been in. Hopefully it's making a comeback

C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Hopefully It doesn't become extinct!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Hopefully It doesn't become extinct!
I picked up two different 35s around the last of last year. Couldn't find any factory ammo other than paying $4 a round online. I picked up dies and found some brass on here. Fairly easy caliber to get to shoot well.

C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have Hodgdon Leverelution powder and some Hornaday projectiles. Upta camp and I can't remember which ones. Have some factory ammo on hand but wanted to make some too. The Super 16 Carbine was stout recoil but not to rude. My 760 was mild recoil with factory ammo. I don't plan on doing any hot loads with this cartridge. Such a historical cartridge I had to have it. My boy has my Grandfather's 336CS.

Last edited by Coton; 04/06/24.

IC B2

C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Side note I deprimed the 35 Rem Brass yesterday. I have a Franklin hand Deprimer. All the 35 Rem brass was Remington brand about 10 of the 36 had very tight flash holes. They would stick on the deprimer and I had to remove with my plastic jaw pliers. I cleaned the the flash holes in and out on those pieces. I usually deprime prior to sending them swimming in the water/stainless pin cleaner. I had not seen any brass with that high of a frequency of small flash holes.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have Hodgdon Leverelution powder and some Hornaday projectiles. Upta camp and I can't remember which ones. Have some factory ammo on hand but wanted to make some too. The Super 16 Carbine was stout recoil but not to rude. My 760 was mild recoil with factory ammo. I don't plan on doing any hot loads with this cartridge. Such a historical cartridge I had to have it. My boy has my Grandfather's 336CS.
My 336 in 35 Remington I loaded 43 grains of leverevolution with the 200 gr Hornady flex tips. . Just over an inch at 100 yards with a 2-7 leupold. Good thing about a 35 , no reason to hot rod it they kill deer just fine

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I bought 100 pieces of 375 Winchester brass, new in the boxes recently. I was proud of that!

C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
The 375 Winchester is another Unicorn! Good score

C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I do believe those are the Hornadys I have. That is an accurate load.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Troutnut
My 336 in 35 Remington I loaded 43 grains of leverevolution with the 200 gr Hornady flex tips. . Just over an inch at 100 yards with a 2-7 leupold. Good thing about a 35 , no reason to hot rod it they kill deer just fine

There might not be a need to as far as killing, but I would argue there's certainly a reason to in suitable rifles. It has plenty of benefits.

The anemic book pressures in a 35 Remington are not cartridge based, but rather on the rifles they were chambered for in 1906 and moving forward to much later until other rifles came on the scene.

Most books that show PSI rather than cup, the majority of top loads do not even hit 30,000 PSI. That very low pressure can create it's own set of issues with repeated handloading and the 35 Remington's paper clip of a shoulder bump to headspace off of.

A Remington 760 for example in every other cartridge it's chambered for save for the 222, operates at 60,000-65,000 PSI.

I'm loaded at around a predicted pressure of 40,000 PSI in my 760. The current box of brass I'm working on has been reloaded 5X now at that loading. No signs of slowing down anytime soon. I imagine as long as I don't push the shoulder back more than barely touch it, and keep it annealed so the necks don't work harden, the brass will go on and on at that mild pressure but still enough pressure to keep it properly formed to my chamber.

Far as killing power, I'm 300 FPS faster than rated factory with the 200 gr Remington CL. For deer shot out to 150 yds so far, it certainly doesn't hurt from what I've experienced. I absolutely love that setup.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never owned a 35 caliber anything. Thought it was more than I'd ever need.

However I got to shoot a couple that campfire members got when Ken Howell passed and gave away his firearms to a lot of campfire member from the Quemado Crowd.

Shot a 35 Remington and a 358 Win, that Ken had handloaded. IIRR, he used RL 7 powder.

If I would have known that decades ago, I'd have had a couple of 35 Cal rifles in the gun safe. Sure missed that boat.

The other boat I missed, but am on late in life, is necking up a 223 to 6 x 45. I've been sending a lot of that down range over the last year or so. Took last years deer with it. Wish I'd have known about that one 4 decades ago also.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
Never owned a 35 caliber anything. Thought it was more than I'd ever need.

However I got to shoot a couple that campfire members got when Ken Howell passed and gave away his firearms to a lot of campfire member from the Quemado Crowd.

Shot a 35 Remington and a 358 Win, that Ken had handloaded. IIRR, he used RL 7 powder.

If I would have known that decades ago, I'd have had a couple of 35 Cal rifles in the gun safe. Sure missed that boat.

The other boat I missed, but am on late in life, is necking up a 223 to 6 x 45. I've been sending a lot of that down range over the last year or so. Took last years deer with it. Wish I'd have known about that one 4 decades ago also.

It's an interesting cartridge. Don't know that I'd ever get one and get to it as I have enough of other stuff to take care of, but I like cartridge/caliber combo's that get a lot out of the amount of powder they use. What bullet are you using for deer with it?

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shade Tree,

I just got to shoot a couple of the rifles so chambered. I've never used them or purchased any, because I've got all sorts of calibers smaller than that bore. At my age, I need to start selling firearms I own. I'm running out of time in life, and time to slow down.

So I'll never get around to owning a 35 Rem or a 358, or 356 for that matter. Only one I would plunk my money on the counter for would be a Remington Model 30S in 35 Remington. I'd jump on that one in a heart beat. Its one of my "Unicorn" rifles I've desired. the other one that I've consider a "Unicorn" is a Model 54 Winchester in 30/30.

I'm running out of the number of hunting seasons I have left.

With both rifles I did shoot, they were a rock about the size of a basketball at 100 yds. Bullets were 220 grain 35 cal bullets. In both rifles and chamberings, each blew the rock into gravel, and recoil felt less than one of my 30/30s in a Model 94 Lever Action.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Fairly easy caliber to get to shoot well.
Tell us about your load and what you’re shooting it out of.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seafire, sorry for the confusion, I use and really like the 35 Remington. I was asking what bullet you used for deer with the 6x45?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Seafire, sorry for the confusion, I use and really like the 35 Remington. I was asking what bullet you used for deer with the 6x45?

Sorry for getting your question backasswards there Shade.

Last year the one I took down was a heart shot, with a 95 grain Ballistic Tip. There was no run etc... just bang and not even a flop. It dropped right on its rib cage, like the rug had been pulled out from underneath it.

Shot was only 50 to 60 yds., with an MV of about 2600 fps. I've been playing with 100 gr Hornady SPs at 2600 fps MV, for this season, this fall. Been ringing steel with it, out to 300 this spring, just for practice. I have a bunch of the old Speer 105 gr RN's I was thinking about trying out also.

at 300 it hits steel with authority. I'm sure it would go right thru an Oregon Blacktail.

The 95 grain Ballistic Tip certainly did, the deer it took down was a 180 pound animal, which is a good sized blacktail.

My rifle has a 20 in heavy profile Predator barrel from Douglas with a 1 in 7 twist on a Savage Action.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

Sorry for getting your question backasswards there Shade.

Last year the one I took down was a heart shot, with a 95 grain Ballistic Tip. There was no run etc... just bang and not even a flop. It dropped right on its rib cage, like the rug had been pulled out from underneath it.

Shot was only 50 to 60 yds., with an MV of about 2600 fps. I've been playing with 100 gr Hornady SPs at 2600 fps MV, for this season, this fall. Been ringing steel with it, out to 300 this spring, just for practice. I have a bunch of the old Speer 105 gr RN's I was thinking about trying out also.

at 300 it hits steel with authority. I'm sure it would go right thru an Oregon Blacktail.

The 95 grain Ballistic Tip certainly did, the deer it took down was a 180 pound animal, which is a good sized blacktail.

My rifle has a 20 in heavy profile Predator barrel from Douglas with a 1 in 7 twist on a Savage Action.

Cool beans. Thank you for that info. Be an easy & fun cartridge to shoot I'm sure.

C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have heard of the 30S in 35 Remington. I have yet to see one. That would be on my list for sure!

C
Coton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I did not realize how low the pressure was in the 35 Rem. The 760 can defiantly handle more pressure then the firearms the 35 Rem was designed around in 1906.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by hanco
I bought 100 pieces of 375 Winchester brass, new in the boxes recently. I was proud of that!

And we're all proud of you too Hanco!

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
It seem to be difficult for find brass for many cartridges. I can see 35 Rem and 375 Win being scarce. I was looking for .338 Win Mag recently and haven't found much. That seems a bit surprising since it's a pretty common chambering. I guess the wars are taking their toll on our supplies.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
.338WM brass can be easily made from .7mm.RM brass and sells for a lot cheaper! After all Handloading is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby! Ditto for .264WM, .270WM, 7mmWM and .308NM.

Have some fun!

Hip

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The 358 is a damn fine squirrel cartridge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah some brass is still damn hard to find, finally located some new virgin blue and white bag WW 348 winchester the other day. He had 3 50 ct bags wanted $1.50 each case I just jumped on it. The starline when available is over $2 ea..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.