Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello All

I have posted this to warn others about this fraudulent seller on Gun Broker.

here is the post original listing ... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1034173843

A thoughtful wife bought this rifle for her husband as a Valentine's Day gift. But, she didn't know that you can't trust a seller on Gunbroker with an A+(585) rating. She didn't know to check the feedback to see that the seller had over 34 Negatives. (4 Negatives in the last 3 weeks) She didn't now that when the seller says MAGNUM in 3 places in the listing that he may be lying.

Even though many of us know guns, and that we know that Mauser did make Model A Magnum action rifles, we can't see in pictures the 5/15" difference in length between a Standard length action, and a Magnum length action. We look to the description.

After the sale, I had a chance to review the rifle in hand ... Here is what I found along with observations that were confirmed from Axel E., a World Renowned Expert on Mauser rifles.

This is a real type A Mauser Commercial rifle, built 1930 – 31 for retail by Manton, Calcutta. But, it is NOT a rare Oberndorf “Magnum” action rifle. It is a 10.75x68 rifle on a common standard length action.

In addition, the rifle was severely altered, which was not disclosed by the seller. Alterations that have totally destroyed its collector value. These include:

The rear receiver bridge was ground down, removing the clip guide ears, the front and rear receiver were drilled and tapped for a scope mount base. The bolt handle is a new low profile handle welded on in place of the original, and a low profile Buehler safety was installed to clear a scope.

These mutilations have totally destroyed collector value, even though it was a rare model A Mauser in 10.75x68 caliber. Original Mauser, Oberndorf Commercial rifles in 10.75x68 caliber are rare since most of them are of the B type. Only about 15% of the small number of these rifles are type A. But with the alterations, and its not being a rare Magnum, the value is only about HALF of what the lady paid.

As I said, the lady buyer didn't know about rifles, and she bought it as a gift for her husband, and went by the description. Only later was it found NOT to be a Magnum. We can't fault her for believing the seller, and trying to surprise her husband with a special gift.

The husband has now filed a complaint with the Credit Card Co. and received a temporary charge-back, but it will be months before all the back-and-forth arguments are settled, because the seller has stated that the listing says that he doesn't accept returns, and the buyer should have relied on the pictures.

The husband hasn't pushed the issue and told her that she was defrauded, because after all it was a Valentine's Day Present and she meant well. But unfortunately she got taken by a crooked dealer. Lets just hope it all gets settled, and the rifle gets sent back to the dealer, so he can try to stick it to someone else.

Beware this seller - page through and read all his Negatives.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Honesty is getting harder and harder to find in the world today it seems.

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for the warning.
Never saw such hyprbole posted there before (copied below but the huge text and varied colors of print did not copy, behold the loudness of it at the link).
I read the reviews back to where someone called the seller a douche-bag.
Klauss of Clauss collectibles is not an honorable seller.

ATTENTION:WORLD CLASS RIFLE ENTHUSIASTS!

Clauss Collectibles - is PROUD & PLEASED to present for auction:

A TRUE MASTERPIECE of QUALITY, CRAFTSMANSHIP & DESIGN!

**Blue Book of Guns STATES:

"ADD 100% VALUE INCREASE for MAGNUM ACTION "SPECIAL RIFLE - TYPE A"!!!!

SIMPLY the FINEST COMMERCIAL MAUSER SPORTING RIFLE ON GUNBROKER!!!

ORIGINAL & UN-RESTORED!!

CHAMBERED in the MOST POWERFUL CALIBER MAUSER EVER OFFERED in their "TYPE A" SPORTING RIFLE!!!

An ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!

ULTRA RARE!!!

1934 Pre-WW2 German ULTIMATE - COMMERCIAL SPORTING Mauser - SPECIAL RIFLE "TYPE A" with the HIGHLY DESIRABLE - *100% vlaue adding "MAGNUM ACTION"!!

Chambered in the most POWERFUL CALIBER Mauser EVER offered 10.75X68mm!!

EASILY ONE OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY RIFLES ON THE MARKET!!!!

The Pre-WW2 Mauser commercial Sporting "SPECIAL RIFLE - TYPE A" was expressly made for English market, superior finish, with round tapered barrel, silver-bead front sight on sleeved-on block with matted surface, hinged floorplate, pear shaped bolt knob, horn forend tip and PG cap.

If the buyer wanted to go for the ULTIMATE hunting rifle.

He or she could order "express sights" & ultra premium grade walnut..
WHICH IS EXACTLY HOW THIS RIFLE CAME FROM THE FACTORY IN

AS if all this was not enough to make ANY SEMI KNOWLEDGEABLE FIREARMS COLLECTOR to go DEEP in to their savings account!!

THIS TRULY EXTRAORDINARY SPECIMEN WAS IMPORTED by the INFAMOUS "MANTON & CO. of CALCUTTI & DEHLI"!!

Meaning this rifle went straight from OBERNDORF GERMANY straight to Calcutti or Dehi!!

To be ready go on a ultra DANGEROUS BIG GAME HUNTING TRIP for clearly a very wealthy import person!!

This Rifle is in EXCELLENT CONDITION!

YOU WILL NOT FIND a BETTER EXAMPLE!!!!

The quality of this piece is just astounding... I do not know what is more impressive... The engineering or the beauty!

THIS IS ONE OF THE RARE TIMES WHEN THE ITEM ACTUALLY LOOKS BETTER IN PERSON THEN IN THE PHOTOS!

Without question this GEM could be on the same wall, RIGHT NEXT TOO ANY RIFLE IN THE WORLD & NOT BE OUTSHONE!

If you are seriously looking at this rifle, you are someone who is already an advanced collector, & you know exactly how special and well crafted this rifle is. There is nothing more I can say to elevate the extraordinariness of this rifle!

IT IS JUST THAT GOOD!!

OVERALL:

This Rifle easily belongs in the top percentile of the most coveted hunting rifles in the world!!

Between the: rarity, condition, attention to detail & craftsmanship there are few rifles that are more OUTSTANDING then this!!

If you are in the market for the ULTIMATE big game rifle to go on that hunt of a lifetime, OR looking to purchase yourself a truly world class bolt action rifle to pass down for generations....

PLEASE GIVE THIS RIFLE A LOOK!!!

YOU WILL NOT FIND A MORE PRESTIGIOUS EXAMPLE!!!

DO NOT MISS THIS ONCE in a LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY!!!

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If u want to drop all the silly business, I'll take that 10.75x68. I've always wanted one and im not a pampered, prissy fkn collector.

Many of these oberndorf rifles were altered for a scope, and I could give a sht, long as it shoots straight.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The listing reads like a 1960's Herters catalog.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I avoid Gunbroker any more. I will no longer sell on Gunbroker due to their obnoxious rules. I have on occasion looked to see if they have something but I have not made a purchase there in maybe 10 years. I much prefer Guns International.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
With all the Negative review, why cant GB take him down

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rollerroll56
Because the owner of GunBroker is making money off his sales.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
WELL ... LOOKS LIKE THEIR ACCOUNT WAS SUSPENDED BY GUNBROKER .... ITS ABOUT TIME !

UPDATE .... THE SUSPENSION WAS SHORT LIVED .... 4 HOURS LATER HE'S BACK IN BUSINESS ... GUN BROKER PUT HIM BACK IN BUSINESS .... THEY MUST HAVE LIKED THE FEES THEY WERE COLLECTING .... ? ? ?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
That's a serious amount of money. I've only had one bad experience on GB, where I bought a mauser from Dury's which is a top seller - and when it arrived the stock was cracked in an area that must have been intentionally kept out of pictures. It wasn't enough money to fret over to replace the stock, but definitely a reminder to keep your guard up.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buckstix
WELL ... LOOKS LIKE THEIR ACCOUNT WAS SUSPENDED BY GUNBROKER .... ITS ABOUT TIME !

UPDATE .... THE SUSPENSION WAS SHORT LIVED .... 4 HOURS LATER HE'S BACK IN BUSINESS ... GUN BROKER PUT HIM BACK IN BUSINESS .... THEY MUST HAVE LIKED THE FEES THEY WERE COLLECTING .... ? ? ?

I don't think gun broker really gives two chits about anything, just collecting their fees.

I don't sell much on there, but there's a few a$$holes who bid stuff up and don't pay, GB doesn't do anything. Valid credit card should be on file to bid and immediately charged at least a hundred bucks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You are right - gunbroker does not care .... still fighting it out with the credit card company .. this can take up to 90 days .... that seller has another couple NEGATIVES since this began

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish Gunbroker's feedback gave you enough "space" to explain the rating you're leaving. It would really help potential buyers.

Went through this recently with a rifle. For the condition it appeared to be in, it was priced too high. But I knowingly, willing paid it. I didn't have a problem with that. But once in hand, the stock had far more dings and dents, scratches and gouges than the photos showed. There was more rust flecking and spotting than showed or mentioned. It was claimed to have been used very little. Yet the bluing is worn off the bolt handle from use. A week or more later I was finally able to scope the bore, and found more horrors and neglect, meaning I really, REALLY over paid for it.

But leaving the review with a limited number of characters, It was like trying to explain all these issues in a telegram in an old western. "Stock much worse" Stop. "Claimed little use bluing gone from wear." Stop. "Deep pitting in bore several places." Stop. wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, the fraudulent seller just got another NEGATIVE from a guy that paid about $3,500 for a Luger that was faked.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1042425415

But the fraudulent seller is still selling on Gunbroker. Gunbroker has done nothing to stop him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
21 negatives in 12 months at the moment.

That's another "shame on you" for Gunbroker, not letting you see the real totals without scrolling through all the pages and counting them.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mag410

Exactly the case, it’s about the $$.

Isn’t every seller on GB rated A or A+. The ratings are meaningless. I’ve bought a few non firearms things there, but haven’t used GB in along while, and that won’t change.

NRA Patron
Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
As someone who regularly shops on GB, I appreciate the warning.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Now says that seller is not a registered user. Scumbag

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by mag410

Exactly the case, it’s about the $$.

Isn’t every seller on GB rated A or A+. The ratings are meaningless. I’ve bought a few non firearms things there, but haven’t used GB in along while, and that won’t change.

I avoid GB anymore too. I bought may a half dozen or so before I stopped. I think the last purchase was in 2009.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
A advertises a widget for sale. B has no particular knowledge of widgets and doesn't really understand the content of A's ad, but figures it sounds pretty nifty and purchases it as a gift for son "C". Upon receiving the gift, "C" inspects the widget and reviews the ad. Realizing there are many misrepresentations and the product is not "as advertised". But "C" is not the buyer and as such not a "Party" to the transaction. Whatever rights of legal redress presumably rest only with "B", as purchaser. "B" makes the claim to her Credit Card company asserting whatever claims are available. Presumably such as available within her residency jurisdiction OR the seller "A's" Jurisdiction OR intermediary actor "D", 'if they are "involved" in the "transaction itself". Noting already the procedural questions! But substantively, yet the matter of civil fraud of "misrepresentation" and whether intentional or negligence. Yet back to the central question. "Was "B" harmed within definition of the law. "A" made representations which "B" didn't understand. 'If" the laws of the applicable jurisdiction of application require "detrimental reliance", can it be said that "B" relied upon statements/assertions she didn't even understand? If not, despite all the words and false assertions, is it the question of "sound" occurring as a tree falls in the forest IF there is no one to hear it? The assertion that a buyer really did not appreciate what they were buying, often offers a weak assertion! Just for contrast... Grandma is peacefully reposed in her home as Salesman visits her. Selling widgets and high pressure sales tactics. Granny buys a dozen without real understanding. Many strong laws may protect her. Not so persons deemed to "knowledgeably put themselves at risk where they may be assessed as having a duty to inquire and perhaps to abstain pending further guidance!

Certain seller actions are definitely despicable, but such term isn't sufficient. A "legal case needs to be made. Fortunately "Credit Card firms typically don't need a legal case presented and large CC firms hold tremendous power to "protect customers". Length of customer relationship, dollar volume of transactions and of course creditworthiness are all 'motivating factors' in affirmative assistance where a righteous cause appears to exist.

Absolutely no legal advice intended nor to be taken! Just working through an interesting "Law Student exam question! smile smile smile
Good Luck & Best
John
Oh yes... And a few pix of that "unusual suspect widget of mine, below. And No! Not for sale! smile

Attached Images
R9-13U.jpg (21.2 KB, 51 downloads)
R9-15.jpg (16.96 KB, 51 downloads)
R9-18U.jpg (15.62 KB, 52 downloads)
R9-21.jpg (8.95 KB, 52 downloads)
R9-30U.jpg (17.42 KB, 52 downloads)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,060
Posts18,482,382
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.