Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Always wanted a 35 Whelen, you have a nice one!

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice boom stick. I second the use of 225g Game Kings on whitetails using IMR4064. I’ve also found the 225 accubonds to be quite effective. As both are hard to find, I’d also consider hand loads using the 200g Hornady Spire Points and tune for optimal accuracy in your rifle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gaperry59
According to sociologist David Yamane, the era of Gun Culture 1.0 (~1850 to 2010) centered on the use of guns for sport hunting, recreation, and collecting, whereas Gun Culture 2.0 (2010 to Present) centers on gun use for self-defense and other tactical applications of shooting. Yamane claims that GC 2.0 now makes up the core of American gun ownership.

From my point of view, this may well be correct. I work in an allied law enforcement profession, and am surrounded on all sides by black rifles, LPVO's, and suppressors, as well as double stack semi-auto pistols with red dots, bucket holsters and WML's. Conversations overheard on the range involve sub-second draws, appendix carry, occluded dots, target focus and splits and transition times.

I try to keep my knowledge and skills as current as reasonably practicable with such platforms since my job as a firearms instructor requires it. Yet if you put a Staccato with a dot and my iron-sighted 1911 both on a table, I will gladly shoot them both, but will then leave the Staccato on the table and shoot the 1911 repeatedly. Why? Well, for one it's fun, and to me the 1911 is a work of fine art, while the Staccato is just a pistol. I can't help but like blued steel and walnut, SA and DA sixguns with home-cast bullets and leather holsters, and Mauser rifles chambered for old cartridges with fixed-power scopes.

All of which brings me to this post. Recently I came across an FN 98 chambered in .35 Whelen put together by the late Harry Creighton, a Nashville custom gunsmith in the 1970's and 80's. From what I can gather, HW Creighton was a machinist by trade and only did the metalwork on his rifles, often working with stockmaker Hal Hartley to come up with a complete rifle. I had a set of Tally bases and rings on hand, but the only unmounted scope I had at the time is an 1990's Weaver 3x9. Whelen ammo is getting harder to find, but I bought a box of Hornady Superformance loaded with 200-grain Interlocks and sighted in at 50 yards. They are listed at over 2900 fps; I have not chronographed any, but based on the magnum-like recoil I have no reason to doubt it. The big game animal in my state is the whitetail, and we are limited to handguns, shotguns, and rifles with straight-walled cartridges. We have no elk, and .35 Whelen is not on store shelves.

The trigger is crisp and the barrel shoots very well, even seeming to want to shoot in the same hole at 50 yards. The rifle sighted-in easily, although as sometimes happens, I would make a change but the adjustments would not take hold until the recoil of the next round. As a practical matter, I could simply buy a case of this Hornady ammo and be satisfied for quite some time. But RCBS dies and Speer 250's are now on hand, and I look forward to seeing what I can come up with for a load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GC 2.0 may call me a Fudd, and possessing such a rifle may not serve any practical need where I live. But owning, preserving, caring for, feeding, and shooting such a wonderful piece of fine art is FUN! And this rifle is fast becoming my favorite.

Beautiful rifle, so classy!

As to handloading, I worked up a load for my dad's 35 Whelen, which is a Remington 700 Classic, using the 250 gr. Speer. This target shows a series of three groups, with the third group/load being the one he ultimately used for our annual elk hunt.

As luck would have it, I jumped a bull in some timber which came out less than 50 yards from Dad. The Speer bullet did the job, to say the least, but acted more like a varmint bullet and wrought some incredible damage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you're going to hunt with that bullet you might slow it down a bit or think about a 250 gr. Partition.

35WN

Last edited by 35WhelenNut; 05/10/24.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice Mauser.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gaperry59
According to sociologist David Yamane, the era of Gun Culture 1.0 (~1850 to 2010) centered on the use of guns for sport hunting, recreation, and collecting, whereas Gun Culture 2.0 (2010 to Present) centers on gun use for self-defense and other tactical applications of shooting. Yamane claims that GC 2.0 now makes up the core of American gun ownership.

From my point of view, this may well be correct. I work in an allied law enforcement profession, and am surrounded on all sides by black rifles, LPVO's, and suppressors, as well as double stack semi-auto pistols with red dots, bucket holsters and WML's. Conversations overheard on the range involve sub-second draws, appendix carry, occluded dots, target focus and splits and transition times.

I try to keep my knowledge and skills as current as reasonably practicable with such platforms since my job as a firearms instructor requires it. Yet if you put a Staccato with a dot and my iron-sighted 1911 both on a table, I will gladly shoot them both, but will then leave the Staccato on the table and shoot the 1911 repeatedly. Why? Well, for one it's fun, and to me the 1911 is a work of fine art, while the Staccato is just a pistol. I can't help but like blued steel and walnut, SA and DA sixguns with home-cast bullets and leather holsters, and Mauser rifles chambered for old cartridges with fixed-power scopes.

All of which brings me to this post. Recently I came across an FN 98 chambered in .35 Whelen put together by the late Harry Creighton, a Nashville custom gunsmith in the 1970's and 80's. From what I can gather, HW Creighton was a machinist by trade and only did the metalwork on his rifles, often working with stockmaker Hal Hartley to come up with a complete rifle. I had a set of Tally bases and rings on hand, but the only unmounted scope I had at the time is an 1990's Weaver 3x9. Whelen ammo is getting harder to find, but I bought a box of Hornady Superformance loaded with 200-grain Interlocks and sighted in at 50 yards. They are listed at over 2900 fps; I have not chronographed any, but based on the magnum-like recoil I have no reason to doubt it. The big game animal in my state is the whitetail, and we are limited to handguns, shotguns, and rifles with straight-walled cartridges. We have no elk, and .35 Whelen is not on store shelves.

The trigger is crisp and the barrel shoots very well, even seeming to want to shoot in the same hole at 50 yards. The rifle sighted-in easily, although as sometimes happens, I would make a change but the adjustments would not take hold until the recoil of the next round. As a practical matter, I could simply buy a case of this Hornady ammo and be satisfied for quite some time. But RCBS dies and Speer 250's are now on hand, and I look forward to seeing what I can come up with for a load.

GC 2.0 may call me a Fudd, and possessing such a rifle may not serve any practical need where I live. But owning, preserving, caring for, feeding, and shooting such a wonderful piece of fine art is FUN! And this rifle is fast becoming my favorite.

Your feelings on rifle and mine are similar. I’ve owned a few Whelens and I doubt I’ll ever be without one. But my current 35 Whelen is 700 with a suppressor.

The rifle I have that might be closer to yours is a Between the wars Obendorf but chambered for the 375 Whelen AI.

With Whelens it seems a fellow gets one all set up and a buddy pesters you until it’s his.

Not sure that I’ll ever need a 375 Whelen over a 35, but I had a 35 or two.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/10/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The only thing better than one 35 Whelen is two each setup with different sights. This happens to be the present project.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,854
Posts18,517,634
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.