Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Good afternoon, I hope this finds you well and your weather improving. I've been scanning through various posts and came across your singing the praises of the Tisas D10. Do you have any further thoughts or experiences using it since you last posted about it? Out of curiosity, why would you consider a 1911 style 10mm as against say a FN 510 with a much higher magazine capacity?

Appreciate your feedback!

Last edited by Woodsman1991; 04/11/24.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect you'd get better results by changing your header to "Phil Shoemaker and 10mm Tisas," or sending him a private message. While Phil still participates here, he does so far less than he used to due to the increasingly contentious nature of the Campfire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect you'd get better results by changing your header to "Phil Shoemaker and 10mm Tisas," or sending him a private message. While Phil still participates here, he does so far less than he used to due to the increasingly contentious nature of the Campfire.

Wow! So elegant.

Thanks for continuing to hang out with us Mule Deer. Your writings and musings are always spot on.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
....and VERY much appreciated!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take a stab at it to keep the thread going until Phil shows up. I really enjoy reading bear stories. I have read every book I could get my hands on. While most man/bear encounters I have read of involved rifles, those involving pistols were settled in fewer shots than a 1911 holds. I simply don't think that at the ranges man/bear encounters take place the situations afford time for more well placed shots than a 1911 provides. Well placed is likely the reason for the 1911 preference. Simply something that he shoots well.

Tisas and other Turkish guns by most accounts are good, reliable guns at very good prices. I simply can't bring myself to buy a gun made in a country that supports terrorism.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
While I understand the feeling anent Turkey and agree; Our current administration appears to be preferring Hamas over the victims of their terror activities. The world is a complicated and often corrupt place.

F01

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have two 1911s, a Springfield Professional in 45 ACP and a Springfield V16 in 45 Super. Love them both. The 45 Super is my woods gun.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'll take a stab at it to keep the thread going until Phil shows up. I really enjoy reading bear stories. I have read every book I could get my hands on. While most man/bear encounters I have read of involved rifles, those involving pistols were settled in fewer shots than a 1911 holds. I simply don't think that at the ranges man/bear encounters take place the situations afford time for more well placed shots than a 1911 provides. Well placed is likely the reason for the 1911 preference. Simply something that he shoots well.

Tisas and other Turkish guns by most accounts are good, reliable guns at very good prices. I simply can't bring myself to buy a gun made in a country that supports terrorism.

While there certainly are some good guns coming out of Turkey, there are also enough turds that I won’t chance another. My CZ O/U came with an action so tight I could hardly open it, and the barrels were 8” apart at 40 yards. CZ USA worked on the action, but the convergence issue was just my tough luck. The bastards had the nerve to send me a test target showing them only 4” apart, at 20 yards. I’m no mathman, but c’mon man!

There was a lot of wishing and hoping about the new Springfield .22 rifle, but all the tests I read and watched yielded very mediocre accuracy. You’d think at least one of them would’ve made a fair showing. A number of guys I shoot clays with have bought inexpensive autoloaders made in Turkey, and they’ve been far more troublesome than the Brownings, Berettas, Remingtons, and Benellis. Another concern is parts availability. I found a very pristine Browning Gold Hunter a few years back and it has a plastic bolt buffer that had deteriorated, as plastic sometimes does, since 1995. A couple of new ones were easy to find. Try finding parts for one of those Turkish Delights in 20 years or so, or even today.

The Turkish guns do often have nice wood…..

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve had a pending 10mm 1911 handgun purchase (of quality) on the backburner for some time. Was thinking maybe a Kimber but the price tag on the Tisas is tempting. Can’t wait to hear Phil’s take.

Last edited by Marshal_Dillon; 04/13/24. Reason: To clarify
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My results with the Tisas 10 mm have been excellent and I would not be hesitant carrying it, loaded with the proper ammunition of course, as bear protection. Using similar bullets it’s performance and power rank right alongside the 357 and slightly better than the 9mm.
I just picked up a S&W M 58 41 Mag and plan on carrying and testing it this summer.

But power & penetration are only one side of the issue as handguns also have to be easily and comfortable to carry all day. The 41, my 44 Mtn Gun and the Tisas 10mm all weigh approx the same and are noticeably heavier on the hip after 8-10 hours of fishing than my M65 S&W 357.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well looks like you won’t be buying any guns if that’s the case

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am always on the lookout for new guns to test

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There certainly should be no secret to producing a reliable 1911 at this point, all it takes is the will. An inexpensive one in 10mm, assuming it works, makes perfect sense as a trail gun that might be subject to some neglect and possibly even loss; no need for a Barbecue Gun for that application, nor one with match-grade accuracy. No worries about parts or service with a 1911 either.

Just checked their website and they look like a serious company, and one that puts their own name on what they make and sell. Mr. Phil’s recommendation doesn’t do any harm either….. Might be worth a shot, though I’m not buying any more guns, honest honey😝

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love my Delta Elite 10mm. Any 180 grain bullet, XTP preferred, 8.2 grains of Longshot and she’s ready to rumble.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for sticking around 458WIN. You are greatly appreciated!

Do you much prefer something like a S&W 65 to a compact 9mm for the lighter & handier carry?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I picked up a D-10 in December, for less than $600 out the door. Other than needing a trigger job real badly (as do any factory 1911 pistols), it's been an excellent pistol so far. After doing a trigger tweak, it shoots as well as my RIA 6" 10mm.

Both of those pistols will sling brass into another county with the factory springs, and should be re-sprung, if you want to reload your own ammo and keep your brass. That's the nature of the 10mm, though, my Colt Delta Elite did the same thing back in 1987, when I bought it. Of the three pistols, I actually like the D-10 best of the bunch. They all shoot about the same, in my hands, anyway. I paid about the same amount of money for the Colt, in 1987, that I did for the Tisas, 4 months ago. amd the D-10 came with adjustable sights, and checkered frontstrap, that I paid extra for, on the Colt.
The Tisas is one helluva bargain.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Phil: Since you are "...always on the lookout for new guns to test" you might want to find a Taurus Titanium 5 shot 41 Mag to test. Weighs 24 ounces. With a 4" barrel it shoots Federal 250 grain Castcore (P418) at 1240 fps. Despite what 10mm advocates state the 10mm (220 grain at 1100 fps) is not a 41 magnum. The Taurus Titanium is my bear protection when I am hooffing it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
]
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

CONTENTIOUS NATURE? I’ll have you know that she wasn’t even a FIRST cousin! That’s the last time I tell you anything about my family reunions!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s not simply the “continuous nature”.
I simply feel overwhelmed by all the bear experts and their choice of weapons 🙄

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
CONTENTIOUS NATURE? I’ll have you know that she wasn’t even a FIRST cousin! That’s the last time I tell you anything about my family reunions!

Ha!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 59 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,334
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.