R
mmmmm Berger

Originally Posted by dave7mm

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I built my first 6.5x300wsm strictly for the Berger 140 VLD when they first come out with 8 twists, ive killed a bunch of elk,deer and antelope with them from 75 yards to long way out there they have preformed flawlessly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pass the Kreed and hold all The Fluff. Hint.

Just sayin'................

If only obviously.
A simple no brainer for dumbfucks.
Nostalgia for an outdated round is no substitute for common sense.

MM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ALL THE OTHER EXPERTS ARE OUT PICKING NITS!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
I am in the process of doing a custom build. I ordered a Douglass barrel with the following specs: 1-8 twist, #2 sporter, four groove barrel. Caliber will be a 6.5 X 55 swedish. Any idea on a certain grain/ weight you guys would recommend?

From a practical stand point, if you are building the rifle as "an all arounder", and you are building on a Pre-64 with standard 3.4" magazine box, go with a standard throat and don't worry about the minutia. 6.5x55 standard COAL is 3.000". With a 3.4" magazine box, you have plenty of space to tweak the bullet seating depth across a number of bullet weights, styles and lengths to accommodate the standard chamber throat. I am a light weight in this crowd. I have only had 5 or 6 Douglas barrels fitted in the past 20 years. All have been more accurate than me. All have been easy to work up an accurate load.

Ignore the "noise". Have your barrel fitted. Work up an accurate load. Go kill chit. Enjoy Your Project !

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

If only obviously.

MM

While the 6.5 CM is currently much more practical that any other 6.5mm bore cartridge, what is wrong with the OP building a properly throated, properly twisted, 6.5x55 on a long action pre-'64 Winchester 70?

This is a site that caters to rifle looneys, so rifles chambered for outdated, "obsolete", and impractical rounds are going to be more common here than they are going to be among the general public. If the OP doesn't care about resale value, why is he a dumbfuck for building a rifle to whatever specs that he wants? His money, his choice, right?

My preferred long action 6.5mm bore cartridge is the even more impractical 256 Newton, but I'm a rifle looney and resale value has never been an important consideration when specing out a new rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If only obviously.

MM

While the 6.5 CM is currently much more practical that any other 6.5mm bore cartridge, what is wrong with the OP building a properly throated, properly twisted, 6.5x55 on a long action pre-'64 Winchester 70?

This is a site that caters to rifle looneys, so rifles chambered for outdated, "obsolete", and impractical rounds are going to be more common here than they are going to be among the general public. If the OP doesn't care about resale value, why is he a dumbfuck for building a rifle to whatever specs that he wants? His money, his choice, right?

My preferred long action 6.5mm bore cartridge is the even more impractical 256 Newton, but I'm a rifle looney and resale value has never been an important consideration when specing out a new rifle.

Unfortunately there are many here that feel their way is the best and ONLY way things should be done. Of course there are other ways. I hunt with an 303 Savage at times. There are cartridges way better but this rifle and cartridge is the first centerfire my father purchased in 1947. If a man wants a Swede for general hunting purposes, it will work just fine.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I am in the process of doing a custom build. I ordered a Douglass barrel with the following specs: 1-8 twist, #2 sporter, four groove barrel. Caliber will be a 6.5 X 55 swedish. Any idea on a certain grain/ weight you guys would recommend?

From a practical stand point, if you are building the rifle as "an all arounder", and you are building on a Pre-64 with standard 3.4" magazine box, go with a standard throat and don't worry about the minutia. 6.5x55 standard COAL is 3.000". With a 3.4" magazine box, you have plenty of space to tweak the bullet seating depth across a number of bullet weights, styles and lengths to accommodate the standard chamber throat. I am a light weight in this crowd. I have only had 5 or 6 Douglas barrels fitted in the past 20 years. All have been more accurate than me. All have been easy to work up an accurate load.

Ignore the "noise". Have your barrel fitted. Work up an accurate load. Go kill chit. Enjoy Your Project !

Even with the available room for length adjustment, I still believe the geometry of the throat can be improved upon.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thank you, Orion! why can't people just be normal and a 'straight' shooter like you?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thank you, Orion! why can't people just be normal and a 'straight' shooter like you?

When you ask for opinions on a forum like this you are going to get a diverse selection of opinions. There are lots of "right" answers, but only you can decide what is the best choice for you and your application.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rickety,

They don't get more fresh than from today...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep stealing pics and feverishly filling out Hurt Feeler Reports,from your Couchbound Kchunt,as you wax eloquent on your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

You poor poor(literally) Brokedick Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,can't even provide your own pics. What were the "odds"?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

You lucky bastard, threw your azz back.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman

Even with the available room for length adjustment, I still believe the geometry of the throat can be improved upon.

Orion is a fhuqking CLUELESS Drooler,talking out her ass. Hint.

Now as to Douglas spouts,one could do worse,but they tend to be soft and others will certainly wear better(have had dozens). That being said,the OP is blathering Pipe Dream Delusions,in regards to a Fantasy Rifle,which will never exist. Hint.

A plethora of Hurt Feeler Reports,will never begin to skew simplistic Facts and th constant that COAL/Throat Geometry/RPM set the stage and Drool don't grease the skids,if only fhuqking obviously. Hint.

Just sayin'.............

Rickety,

For context,simply cite how many times a day you think about me,as you scour the internet to steal pictures and "live" vicariously...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon the splendors of Reality,as you Dream aloud,from your Couchbound Kchunt. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It's been an EPIC last coupla days. Hint.

Will be well over (100) fish,by the time my pard's jaunt is over and he's RUINED for life. Hint.

Keep reading along and soaking in the Splendid Pixels,to escape suffering being you,if for only fleeting moments. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hah nice pictures. Like catching perch in a pond.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At the risk of redundancy, once again, that is the beauty of the 6.5 Creed..............no guessing needed, all the works been done.

But for all those unwilling to see the light, rock on with your best guess on the 6.5x55.

MM

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

At the risk of redundancy, once again, that is the beauty of the 6.5 Creed..............no guessing needed, all the works been done.

But for all those unwilling to see the light, rock on with your best guess on the 6.5x55.

MM

My 260 seems to do anything I need a 6.5 to do.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am more than happy for you.

MM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a 260 barrel put on a 700 I had laying around. already had a 6.5x55 and a 6.5x06 never checked the twist of the 6.5x55, Mod 70. Wanted a 8" twist in the 6.5x06 but got a 9". Was thinking about heavier bullets. But it shoot's 140 gr bullet's light's out and I would not take off that barrel for anything to get a faster twist. 140gr bullet's into a little over 1/2". Same thing with my 260, got it with a 9" twist also. !40's is all I tried so far but ragged little group's about 5/8". If I wanted a heavier bullet I'd go with my 30-06! 6.5x06 has dumped three elk in three shots with the 140gr Hornady SP and that about as good as it get's! I'm quite certain the 260 and it's 140 gr Speer HC will do the same if I do my part! To much fuss made over fast twist's. If ya need a fast twist I think what you really need if a bigger caliber!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I had a 260 barrel put on a 700 I had laying around. already had a 6.5x55 and a 6.5x06 never checked the twist of the 6.5x55, Mod 70. Wanted a 8" twist in the 6.5x06 but got a 9". Was thinking about heavier bullets. But it shoot's 140 gr bullet's light's out and I would not take off that barrel for anything to get a faster twist. 140gr bullet's into a little over 1/2". Same thing with my 260, got it with a 9" twist also. !40's is all I tried so far but ragged little group's about 5/8". If I wanted a heavier bullet I'd go with my 30-06! 6.5x06 has dumped three elk in three shots with the 140gr Hornady SP and that about as good as it get's! I'm quite certain the 260 and it's 140 gr Speer HC will do the same if I do my part! To much fuss made over fast twist's. If ya need a fast twist I think what you really need if a bigger caliber!

8" twist is what my 260 barrel is. My rifle is a tackdriver with the 140 gr. Hornady HPBT. Actually shoots everything great.

Last edited by rickt300; 04/18/24.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hornie 140 BTHP's wear a .580 BC,while the 147 is .697. "Weight" is moot,but aero form is not. Hint.

I just "happen" to shoot 260,260AI and 6.5-06,along with 264 Win. The best bullet,never doesn't not win and the .264" 140's are fhuqking HILARIOUS,no matter the volume of drool associated! Hint.

Kudos to you CLUELESS Fhuqktards,for doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
100 grain bullet works fine if you choose a good one.

Bullets matter way more than fantasy numbers. Hint

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,918
Posts18,479,669
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.