Print Thread
Hop To
S
swarf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have all of the parts together to make up a rifle or two. I had a reamer made, headspace gauges, and a set of reloading dies. I want to use a large ring 98 action. I have two new receivers made in South America. I was going to use a PAWS 30/06 length box from Brownells.

There is a recently uploaded set of instructions on someone using D'arcy Ecols shop. equipment and guidance to make a mauser box conversion to 9.3x62 on Accurate Reloading. The cartridge is basicly an improved 35 Whelen opened up to 375.

My old friend with the mill died recently. (HE was just short of 90.) I was thinking about wheather or not there was a single stack mag box of som type available that would be easier to fit to a standard large ring 98 mag box. SaRco probably has 100s of them. This would still give me 3 down and one up the spout. I am probably never going to get to the land of large bears again, but a 375 cast bullet at 2000FTPS would still make a great cast bullet gun.

With all of this longrange shooting fever going on is there anything available?

Maybe I should just get a couple large ring millitary boxes and start sawing, spreading, and soldiering in their fronts?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I chose a 375 Whelen AI. I think your choice of cartridges is a good choice. The issue I had with the AI was altering the action for reliable feeding with the formed cartridges and the cases to be fire formed. I’ve wondered if your choice would have been easier???
Are you starting with a “9.3x62” Mauser action?
Are you going to do the work yourself?

I really like my 375.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
swarf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I will do everything myself. I have chambered and fit a few barrels. If you cannot chamber and fit a Mauser you had better not start even.

The stacking and feeding issue is the hard part.. I think that the Hawk/Scovill will be easier to work with than the Whelen AI case. It has a more standard included shoulder angle, and a lesser body taper. I would imagine it will work easier with a more varied assortment of bullet profiles. I chose it on purpose.. I usually limit myself to a cartridge to replace a stock 98 or 96 action to something close to stock.

have 3 never barreled 98 actions got over 30 years ago for "projrcts." They are standard large rings made with the small notch in the back of the receiver ring to clip feed military 30/06 stripper clips. They should do about anything.

I might have to buy a box of cheap 9.3x62 ammo if I cannot scourge a few worn out cases loaded with some type of "crap" 9.3 bullets sans powder and primers loaded to near max OAL to try feeding. I would then buy a reamer and "go" gauge to do one.

I sent aprint and whatnot out to Huntingtons about 2 plus years before they stopped doing custom dies. I feel lucky about that. Also, thw gauges for the 375 Hawk/Scovill are the same for the 411 Hawk/Scovill. That would only require me do get dies made to make one of them. 'd like to think that thought everything through. I guess Imdid but for age and health proplems.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 375 Scoville reamer on the way. Should be fun

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.