Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
What were the issues?

MM

My Gold Cup lost the front sight in the middle of a match once. The rear sight had a hollow roll pin that held the long portion of the adjustable sight in and those pins were notorious for breaking. After breaking a couple I finally had a gunsmith make me a solid body pin replacement. My gun had the collet finger barrel bushing and of course, that broke and locked the gun up tight as Fort Knox. The pistol was extremely finicky about what it would feed and often wanted to choke. Magazines that ran perfectly in my Gov't and Commander wouldn't feed in that Gold Cup. I ditched it and began building a Government Model with a good gunsmith who understood the 1911 pistol.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So, didn't they reverse their position? What else are they supposed to do?
Really? They made several bad moves and gave lots of money to multiple bad actors, becoming bad actors themselves; they got caught and lied; they were presented with proof; they lied more; they were presented with proof in the form of tax reports; they backed off slowly.

They gave serious money to anti- 2A entities... they should not have been as stupid and two-faced as they were. It is hard to believe you can be that obtuse.

So where do you stand on Smith and Wesson?
Company?
Owning old guns?
Slandering Glock Era?
Ripping off Glock Era?
Clinton Era?

Great question and I will answer any questions coming up after my answer...

S&W did some very bad stuff which prevented me from being a fan in any way for quite a long while. They have been through how many hands since they came out against the 2A for private citizens? Four?

Were it the same owners and management in place now I would not do any business with them, period. The ones left making guns had no part in making the horrible decisions and, very importantly, those making those bad decisions are gone.

Lots of companies rode the edge copying Glock and I see that as lots of things, but not abandoning ordinary folks in their fan base as done by RRA and SA.

I own older S&W revolvers and am always looking for more. I own a couple pistols, older, again... always looking for more. Never have been much of a S&W long guns fan.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't care much for the Sig's with those boxy slides that don't fit real 1911 holsters......

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TenX
As far as Les Baer is concerned, here's what Bullseye competitors have to say. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t17602-les-baer-custom-beware?highlight=les+baer

Some of the posters in that thread are some of the top shooters and top 1911 gunsmiths in the country. I would listen to them.
Phil

Dang, first i've heard, a man can learn something new here everyday, i'm one of those guys Mac spoke about, have a few handguns, but dont shoot them much, that said, with my Les Baer i was able to make 10 hits in 7 seconds offhand at a 40 yard silhouette target, hence my layman rec to the OP for a heavy all steel 5" 1911 45 ACP, man you get into that slow recoil roll with a double handed death grip and simply press the trigger again everytime the white paper shows back up on that front sight.

So easy a caveman..........................lol.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TenX
As far as Les Baer is concerned, here's what Bullseye competitors have to say. https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t17602-les-baer-custom-beware?highlight=les+baer

Some of the posters in that thread are some of the top shooters and top 1911 gunsmiths in the country. I would listen to them.
Phil

Thanks for sharing that. I've been poking around that forum for a few weeks, and saw a few grumblings about Les Baer products, which was surprising. But I didn't see anything that specific, or comments from the BE pistolsmiths, until reading your post. Wow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So, didn't they reverse their position? What else are they supposed to do?
Really? They made several bad moves and gave lots of money to multiple bad actors, becoming bad actors themselves; they got caught and lied; they were presented with proof; they lied more; they were presented with proof in the form of tax reports; they backed off slowly.

They gave serious money to anti- 2A entities... they should not have been as stupid and two-faced as they were. It is hard to believe you can be that obtuse.

As I understand it, management at Springfield Armory blamed the Illinois Firearms Manufacturers Association (IFMA) for working that deal, claiming that they didn't know the details of the anti-2A legislation. But the head of IFMA was/is an employee of Springfield Armory, with an office at the Springfield facility? Yeah, seems more than a bit fishy.

Don't forget that Rock River Arms was also a part of this as well. They also claimed ignorance to the details? Either way, it seems that RRA and SA would have benefited at the expense of everyone else. Maybe as simple as pure greed.

I remember when all this was fresh news and I simply wrote off RRA and SA. Don't want anything to do with them. But... I've been shopping for a base 1911 to tinker with or send to a gunsmith and Springfield 1911 keep getting recommended. I thought that maybe SA changed, but that whole connection between the IFMA head being a Springfield employee just doesn't settle well, and that is new info to me.

I'm all for second chances, especially if it was truly truly a mistake. Did heads roll at Springfield or RRA? If corrupt leadership was purged, I'd consider a Springfield or Rock River. Maybe not the Croatian import though laugh

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/14/24.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.