Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Does anyone shoot cast bullets for their double?
Do you avoid destroying them, keep from shooting many rounds and practise with other rifles instead?

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
All the time for practice. Both offhand and on the sticks. Occasionally at the bench just to check zero.
Rick

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Not double rifles but I like to shoot! Anytime that I went to the rifle range with my big game rifles I would shoot from the bench for groups but I ALWAYS shot 20 rds, off hand to keep me sharp. Many times with cast lead bullets-----Cheaper and easier on the barrel!

Hip

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I owned a couple of doubles, I shot quite a bit offhand. I had a range set up in a hollow on my farm. My favorite targets were pumpkins. We had a auction nearby where we bought and sold quantity lots of produce. I would buy a bin of cull small pumpkins. I'd tie them to tree branches with bale rope and set them to swinging different ways, back off and burn powder. A 9.3x74 will make pumpkin pie filling fly. Surprisingly sometimes, the bullet would zip through with almost no effect.

I miss being able to walk out back and shoot.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Off hand. The 500NE is too unpleasant fired from a sitting bench-rest position, prone or even rested on the side of a post. I shoot off a standing rest if testing for accuracy/regulation of loads.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I brought my 450NE to the indoor range a couple of weeks ago and shot a couple of rounds offhand at 35yds just for the experience and to get familiar with the 'real thing" feeling.I plan on doing so again and again in the future just to become more used to it.As far as bolt rifles go I load 50 reduced Lott cast loads and lately been shooting them every week at 50 yds offhand.Even these cast loads wear down the barrel and rifle.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I owned a couple of doubles, I shot quite a bit offhand. I had a range set up in a hollow on my farm. My favorite targets were pumpkins. We had a auction nearby where we bought and sold quantity lots of produce. I would buy a bin of cull small pumpkins. I'd tie them to tree branches with bale rope and set them to swinging different ways, back off and burn powder. A 9.3x74 will make pumpkin pie filling fly. Surprisingly sometimes, the bullet would zip through with almost no effect.

I miss being able to walk out back and shoot.
Bfly

It must be nice to open up the front door at your work place and pick off targets.Gets some fresh air too! The sound of gunfire will keep everyone awake and in shape.

Last edited by swiftshot; 04/15/24.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As well as practice shooting in the positions I'll use in the field, I practice quickly reloading. This can be done "dry" with made-up dummy rounds, or done live. Dumping the empties (my double is non-ejector) and dropping in two more rounds should be a matter of muscle memory. It has come in handy.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
The thing with doubles is that they need to be accurate enough for both barrels to shoot within 3 t0 4 inches max at 50yds.If you shoot them a lot and groups open up more than that, it is not as easy and very expensive to rebarrel.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
While all of your offhand shooting is not required with your double…..it is designed for rapid use, up close and personal shooting. The shooter should practice a lot to be very efficient for fast target acquisition with his/her firearm.

Perhaps an inexpensive double shotgun, modified with added weight to somewhat replicate the handling characteristics of your double could be of help! Just a thought. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/23/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
After I've found a good regulating load and sight in at 50 yards, I use gallon jugs at 50, 25, 15 and ten yards. two shots at 50 and 25 each then one at 15 and one at ten as fast as I can aim and shoot. Off hand of course

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by swiftshot
The thing with doubles is that they need to be accurate enough for both barrels to shoot within 3 t0 4 inches max at 50yds.If you shoot them a lot and groups open up more than that, it is not as easy and very expensive to rebarrel.

2" at 50yards is what we consider good regulation down here. My 500NE is not far off 2" even at 100yards.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Beautiful shot with your Double

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Lately my routine is 22lr,308win cast,458 Lott cast, sporting clay target shotgun and once in a while a few (very few) hunting loads with my doubles.Rifle shooting is done at 50yds offhand.

Last edited by swiftshot; 04/25/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,033
Posts18,481,900
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.