Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
We all know that with heavies, RL 17 can't be beat. We all know that RL 17 punches WAY out of it's burn rate. Probably the versatility king, of any powder. I've shown yall what the 9.3x62 does with 2000 MR as well.

Gunner 500, that beretz guy, then the CZ 550.ca feller has already shown yall what the mighty 9.3x62 will do with 300-325 grainers & RL 17.

Can this newer N555 powder punch out of its burn rate?

Last night, worked up to 63 grains under a 325 grain oryx. No excessive pressure signs. Was too dark for the chronograph.

Just loaded to the absolute fkn max: 64 grains. Heavily compressed, heavily crimped, magnum primer, bullet loaded out to "max-mauser-COAL".

Wait one and I'll report what the chronograph reads.......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/06/24.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Nope, N555 doesn't do what RL17 does.

22" barrel. 2192 fps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/06/24.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Same chrony I still often use. What are the 325s doing with rl17? The oryx is a bonded core correct? How do they do on game?

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Babyboy, go outside and play. You have much to learn. You are to be home by dinner. Sunday school tomorrow at 7am.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Took your advice and went to the range tonight. Shot 8 new to me rifles. Some I picked up the last few months. Got most sighted in and learned a few things.

The scope I put on my 358 blr was defective right out of the box and it wasn't even a leupold. Shot well with open sights.The ar 15 lightweight grendel I built is showing some potential. The ar m5 6.5 Creedmoor I built is not showing potential yet.

The stainless howa mini 6.5g stole the show. It liked the same load my blued on did. The m70 stainless fluted I recently bought in 30-06 didn't group that great with the few loads I tried and is having some light strike issues I need to figure out. Rounds were headspaced ok and pin protrusion is good. It feels like the spring retention ring is dragging inside the bolt. I'll figure it out after church tomorrow.

The 582 rem 22 lr shot great. My marlin 30-30 had a broke screw in the fore end retention loop. Maybe that's why I got a deal on it. I'll get a screw ordered. The new sig cross 6.5 Creedmoor is shooting well first time out. We can't hunt with bdx scoped in Idaho but it'll be fun for plinking.

Bb

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Took your advice and went to the range tonight. Shot 8 new to me rifles. Some I picked up the last few months. Got most sighted in and learned a few things.

The scope I put on my 358 blr was defective right out of the box and it wasn't even a leupold. Shot well with open sights.The ar 15 lightweight grendel I built is showing some potential. The ar m5 6.5 Creedmoor I built is not showing potential yet.

The stainless howa mini 6.5g stole the show. It liked the same load my blued on did. The m70 stainless fluted I recently bought in 30-06 didn't group that great with the few loads I tried and is having some light strike issues I need to figure out. Rounds were headspaced ok and pin protrusion is good. It feels like the spring retention ring is dragging inside the bolt. I'll figure it out after church tomorrow.

The 582 rem 22 lr shot great. My marlin 30-30 had a broke screw in the fore end retention loop. Maybe that's why I got a deal on it. I'll get a screw ordered. The new sig cross 6.5 Creedmoor is shooting well first time out. We can't hunt with bdx scoped in Idaho but it'll be fun for plinking.

Bb

What make/model scope failed?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It was a cheaper Nikon Buckhalter 3-9x40. I bought a few at half price when nikon went out of the scope business. It's a Phillipines made model. I've never had to use them yet. I was just going to use it one the 358 while working up a load so I'd have a bit more magnification.

I plan to use something with a bit less power once I have a load dialed in. I've been considering the new sightron 1.75-5 bit it's a cheaper scope so I wonder how it'll hold up. The nikon was what I had on hand with a bit more magnification that I could mount low and still leave the rear sight on.

I had Burris signature style rings with the plastic bushings that fit on weaver cross slot style bases. The plan was they'd be easy to remove with any flat blade so I could use open sights if the scope puked. The plan worked and I was able to confirm the open sights were pretty well on at 50. I just need to move the rear sight a tiny bit right. My screw drivers I had with me weren't quite small enough for the adjustment.

I have some new Burris fullfield e1s on hand I keep for when someone needs a cheap scope. I may have to rock one of those in some taller rings while I work up a load.

I bought several weaver grandslam gen 2 3-12 scopes for my cheaper scope needs but I've managed to put them all on something. They've held up great for a cheaper scope but they're Japanese Low. It's hard to find a cheaper Low made lighter weight scope these days. I need to find a good cheaper scope option and buy some more to have on hand.

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am proud of u BabyBoy. Now sell off those peas shooters and get that jc higgins bored up by JES.

You and I have been talking of the 9.3 for many months now........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/07/24.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Mainer old buddy, I'd try to lay my hands on some 6.5 StaBall powder, it's a tic slower burning than 17, extremely dense and compact, i'd drop 63gr under one of those 325 Oryx hit the chrono and work up, i bet you'll find 2400 fps.

It's the powder i'll look too after the 250+ rounds i have loaded up with 17 under 320gr Woodleigh round nose, protected point weldcores and solids, I use it under 250gr AFrames for 2606 fps in my dinky 338-06, man that a 400 yard bull moose buster in your part of the world ; ]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I am proud of u BabyBoy. Now sell off those peas shooters and get that jc higgins bored up by JES.

I've been talking 9.3 for several years now. I was going to send him a Higgins but I'm a big fan of stainless steel. I just picked up another m70 stainless classic in 30-06. I'm going to see how both M70 30-06 stainless guns I have shoot and then send him the worst shooting of the 2. I was thinking of sending him a Higgins and then have it nitrided when he's done for corrosion resistance.

Just figured out the light strike issue on one m70 that I discovered yesterday. Wasn't the usual excessive heads pace, dirt in the bolt, or short protrusion. The spring retention ring around the pin seats a little proud and was dragging a bit. I took a few thousandths off the edges and polished it up a bit and it's gone bang everytime since. A few more range trips should confirm its good to go.

Do you guys think the commercial fn on a Higgins 50 or 51 beats a stainless classic m70. I've got at least 7 or 8 Higgins and such 30-06s with fn actions.

Bb

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
SU35 has been getting 2700+ with 250s using N540.
Might want to try it with 286.

I'm
I've not time this year to experiment further. I have 250 TTSX loaded with TAC and will load some 286.partitions this week with BG. A bear awaits...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Just figured out the light strike issue on one m70 that I discovered yesterday. Wasn't the usual excessive heads pace, dirt in the bolt, or short protrusion. The spring retention ring around the pin seats a little proud and was dragging a bit. I took a few thousandths off the edges and polished it up a bit and it's gone bang everytime since. A few more range trips should confirm its good to go.

Do you guys think the commercial fn on a Higgins 50 or 51 beats a stainless classic m70. I've got at least 7 or 8 Higgins and such 30-06s with fn actions.

Bb

Yes, I think a Mauser better than a model 70. Your above paragraph describes precisely why. With such a miniscule amount of firing pin travel, they've been known not to fire, all too often.

Compare to your FN mauser. See how much heavy metal is freight-lining forward when you pull the trigger. Much more firing pin travel as well. It's like a fkn diesel piston, I'm surprised cartridges need a primer in a meowser, gawd-dmn-near compression ignition.

Your fn meowser bolt could be full of bubble gum and ice. It'll still go bang......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/10/24.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I have sealed older 2lb jug N540 and some Nosler 250gr for my 9.3 I'll try that combo. 2700FPS is smashing for that round.

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,024
Posts18,481,678
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.