Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WileyC
All of my mail (USPS), that's other than local, goes through/comes through Birmingham, AL. That hellhole is almost as bad as Memphis where most mail goes to disappear forever. Right now I have a powder scale that made it to Birmingham and left there late the next morning to get to my local PO. It arrived at my local PO Thursday after my mail lady had already headed out on the route. My scale never moved until Sunday when it was sent to another town, 45 miles east of me where it still is, according to tracking. I don't know when to if I will get the scale. On an outgoing note, I bought a shotgun on GB about 2 months ago. Mailed a USPS MO in Priority Mail with tracking to the FFL in Michigan. It tracked from my local PO to Birmingham the next day. It never moved from Birmingham for 10 days. 14 days after I mailed it, the FFL in Michigan got it........USPS SUCKS!!!!

In college and then after I got off of active duty from Uncle Sam, I worked at a USPS sectional center during Christmas time.
On the loading dock. When packages come into a sectional center, they have 48 hours to get it cleared out of the Post Office. The packages are put into a big rolling metal container, and a date and time stamp is put on the container. As soon as its been 48 hours at one location, it is standard " unofficial" procedure, that the container is thrown on the next truck leaving for somewhere else. Doesn't matter the destination, they just need to get it out of their Post Office, so that is how they do it.

I've worked a couple of seasonal jobs for the PO in my life time, in New England, Virginia and Washington State. Always on the loading doc, being 6 ft, muscular and having some intelligence. The Post Office is not really a career of most 'rocket scientist' types.

People also don't understand how the Post Office works. Say I sent a package or letter from my local Post Office, zip code 01701 ( Framingham Mass). That is a sectional center, so it goes to the receiving side.. is processed to where it is going outbound. Then its transferred to that side of the Post Office. It has 48 hours to be shipped out of that side.

From there is next destination is for the sectional center for its destination. Say Merriweather VA, 221XX. So it is received there and then it has 48 hours to get out to the local PO served by the sectional center, say Manassas VA 22110. From there is goes to the receiver, be it a home address, business address or just a PO box at that post office.

So the package or letter goes thru 4 handling locations total. To be received for each location, its not time in transit that burns up a lot of time... it is where it is parked in Que to be processed by that location. Which can be up to 48 hours at each of those 4 locations or POs.

That is why I can send a letter or package, to a location just up the highway, and send another cross country to the opposite coast on the same day. Each one is handled 4 times at a different location. Yet people wonder why they both can be shipped or sent on the same day, and arrive on the same day, even if one destination is locally, and the other is across the nation. Your item spends most of its time parked to be processed, instead of moving toward its final destination.

I know there are screw ups, but considering the volume that shippers handle. Its a marvel they get as many things right as they do. Screw ups are a very small percentage of the volumes they actually handle.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am loving FedEx. My son finally got a job and is unloading airplanes. Woot woot!

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went to the local PO this morning. Wanted to send a box out to a friend in Allen TX. Three clerks, all fat negro women, in their windows. Two had “closed” signs on the counter. The third was arguing with a customer about stolen mail. That customer demanded to speak to a supervisor. 10 min later the supervisor arrived. Another fat negro woman. Nothing got resolved. I left without getting my package mailed. Went to UPS and sent it off to TX

Sam......

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Dude

shipmygun.com solves this problem

Last edited by BMT; 04/16/24.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,399
Posts18,527,924
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.