Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have been looking at a bunch of different brands, but I haven't found the "perfect" thing yet. I had an old 1-6x LPVO on it when I was using it in an uber short HD rig. I put a Tract 1-8x on it at Thanksgiving and sold it at the new year. It was a great scope, but not exactly what I wanted. Deer in my area are mostly first and last light, I could not take a shot with this scope last time out as it was first light and it just couldn't gather enough light. And it was heavy (21+ oz.). I figure this is a 250 yard gun, 300 max on a lifetime deer if I had to.

- 2nd focal plane! no FFP on this one
- would like it to be under 20 ounces, lighter the better
- at least 2x, don't really need more than 12x
- would like a BDC reticle, just make things easier vs. dialing.
- I a dial, would prefer MOA vs. MIL as that is the camp I am in with others
- illumination, can take it or leave it

Looked at:
- Leupold vx3HD, 3.5-10x
- Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x (getting big/heavy, MIL vs. MOA)
- new GPO CENTURI 3-12x44i Super Compact G4i (not out yet, no BDC, MIL adjustment. But I do like the < 10" length and weight)
- new Steiner 4S 4-16x compact (love Steiner, not out yet either. Prob too much magnification probably for what I need)
- Athlon Optics Talos 3-12x40 - BDC 250 Shotgun IR MOA (cheaper option, does have BDC, illumination. Concerned about quality/clarity and light gathering)

I appreciate other suggestions, thank you!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is some of THE dumbest fhuqking schit I've heard of and you Droolers never disappoint,by doing your best. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I should have known your little [bleep] ass would come along. Bless your heart…

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 with their MMD reticle for sale in the classifieds if you are interested in it. The MMD reticle is a BDC. It is light and SFP with capped turrets. I can send pictures if you PM a phone number or email.

Last edited by himmelrr; 04/15/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of these and they have become my favorite scope for deer hunting in the SE.
Leupold VX-5HD Rifle Scope, Magnification/Objective Diameter:2-10x 42mm

This one perched atop a Win 70 in 30-06

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cotis
I should have known your little [bleep] ass would come along. Bless your heart…

Imitation is THE most Sincere form of flattery and a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk mainstay. Hint.

You Professional Victims are a riot and PLEASE keep the Hurt Feeler reports coming. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My CVA Scout wears a Leupold Freedom 3-9x50.

You ain't about that life.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Burris FullField II 3-9x40 with the ballistic plex reticle.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
how is the trajectory of the supersonic black out, IIRC the 30-30 shoots about as flat? I was wondering because I bought a Zeiss Victory1.5-6 x 42 riflescope to go on a 5.56 rifle, knowing I had to limit my shots to sub 200 yards and knowing I wanted to shoot early and late, 6 x is more than enough for sub 200 yards. They don't make it anymore, but I am glad I have it, best illuminated dot I have seen on a riflescope, works well right up to last legal light. If it were me I would be looking at something with a big objective relative to the power for what your trying to do.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
... Deer in my area are mostly first and last light, I could not take a shot with this scope last time out as it was first light and it just couldn't gather enough light.

Just my opinion. First and last light gathering ability can also be a function of the quality of the scope. Early last summer, used a new Leupold VX6HD 1-6x24 and a used Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 to spot a deer standing ~300 yards out from my back porch at first light. Looking through the Leupold @ 6X, the deer had funky ears. Looking through the Swarovski @ 6X, the deer had 5-6" spikes sticking up directly behind his ears. Swap back to the Leupold, fuzzy ears. Back to the Swarovski, spikes behind the ears. "Seeing is believing." Sometimes you get what you pay for...

IC B3

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jimmyp
how is the trajectory of the supersonic black out, IIRC the 30-30 shoots about as flat?

Trajectory is very similar. I am running the Barnes 110 grain TAC-TX out of a home built 8.5” suppressed upper with 1” accuracy at 100yd no prob. CMT billet lower and upper, Faxon 1-8” match barrel, SLR hand guard. I am getting 2175fps with factory loads right now, haven’t reloaded for it yet. I had a Maxim PDW collapsible stock on it with a JP Enterprise silent captured spring when it was setup as a fighter. I have switched all that to a simpler and more comfortable carbine setup (still with the JP SCS, love them).

This is setup for very specific deer hunts. Walking in at dark thirty thru fields where opportunities seem to always present, to woods stand gun where I want something light and with good field of view. Sure I have other rifles that will work just as well or even much better at certain things, but this is a rifle looney want not a need.

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Orion2000
... Deer in my area are mostly first and last light, I could not take a shot with this scope last time out as it was first light and it just couldn't gather enough light.

Just my opinion. First and last light gathering ability can also be a function of the quality of the scope. Early last summer, used a new Leupold VX6HD 1-6x24 and a used Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 to spot a deer standing ~300 yards out from my back porch at first light. Looking through the Leupold @ 6X, the deer had funky ears. Looking through the Swarovski @ 6X, the deer had 5-6" spikes sticking up directly behind his ears. Swap back to the Leupold, fuzzy ears. Back to the Swarovski, spikes behind the ears. "Seeing is believing." Sometimes you get what you pay for...

Very good point. As this is scratching a looney rifle itch, I am not restricting cost.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is why I like the Zeiss victory so much, very good optically. Also you may have different results than me, however I gained the impression after a couple of deer that the 110 grain TAC-TX while very accurate seemed a bit hard for the BO velocities. I got out of the BO so never got a chance to try anything else.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Scopes don't gather light.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RicG
Scopes don't gather light.

Your scope doesn't have a small switch that releases the ambient light collection Smurfs? My light collection Smurfs haul the light back to the scope in small wheelbarrows and dump it over the objective lens to be collected and focused properly.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You might but want to look at one of the higher end 1.5-6x40, 42, 44. I have four on coyote rigs, I like them a lot. They are quite popular in Europe. My Meopta and Burris 4X are nice, my old Sightron II is pretty decent.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Very good point. As this is scratching a looney rifle itch, I am not restricting cost.

If you are not cost constrained, the one additional tidbit I would offer is to consider a scope with an illuminated reticle. I am finding with my aging eyes that the "little red dot" is much easier and faster to pick up in low light conditions than a non-illuminated reticle. Hence I am considering liquidating both the VX6HD and Z6 to fund a Z8i 1-8x24. An 8x top end would get you close to the max magnification range you were referencing in the OP. Just a thought...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
300bo? Jap Weaver K4 classic…

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I came really close to putting a 2-7 rimfire scope I had laying around that had a drop reticle. I shoot some different grain subs in mine and figured it work. But at the end of the day I put a regular ol nikon buckmaster full duplex on it. Simple and more useful in the blind/stand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.