Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
It’s not simply the “continuous nature”.
I simply feel overwhelmed by all the bear experts and their choice of weapons 🙄

Lol….

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don’t disregard the Springfield XD in 10mm.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think Mr. Phil made a good choice in his M-58 .41 Rem Mag. Should be more than adequate for killing anything that needs killing. Not hard to recover fired cases for reloading either! HSM 230 gr Bear Loads should do the trick.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Thanks for sticking around 458WIN. You are greatly appreciated!

Do you much prefer something like a S&W 65 to a compact 9mm for the lighter & handier carry?

Phil,

I probably didn’t ask this very clearly.

Given your famous resolution of a bad bear day with a 9mm & well chosen ammunition, do you still feel a compact .357 much superior?

Or, when you’re choosing comfortable carry for a very long day over a bigger gun, what is that most likely to be?

I am guessing the mention of the 65 was my answer but wonder where your opinion lands.

I know I like my 3” 65 with heavy hard cast, flat noses when I may have to deal with something large but don’t want to lug a heavy handgun. In my world, more likely cattle.

I am in a place where grizzly attacks are unlikely compared to you but still around as well as mountain lions & wolves. Human criminals are still the most likely threat here.

Maybe I am just falling into the common human case of wanting to confirm what I already believe but would value your daily carry opinion.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It’s not simply the “continuous nature”.
I simply feel overwhelmed by all the bear experts and their choice of weapons 🙄

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anteloper, my choice of the M65 S&W revolver involved numerous considerations. Function, reliability, familiarity and performance were first considerations. Weight and comfort for carrying all day were factors, as was the ability to shoot both accurately and rapidly under stress.

Self protection is an entirely different matter than hunting where you can make a careful stalk and try placing a single shot on an unwary animal. A powerful 44 magnum, 454 Casull , 475 Linebaugh or 500 are much better choices for hunting but can not be controlled as well as the 357 or 9 or 10 mm autos.

My son, daughter and I all carry M65 revolvers for that reason

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Phil,
Not trying to drag this out, but what ammo or loads do you carry in the M65’s?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
180 gr Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman they are running mighty close to the 1400 fps advertised velocity

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
180 gr Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman they are running mighty close to the 1400 fps advertised velocity

WOW! That’s got to be a handful in the ‘65!

Thank you and hope you folks never have to use these in an emergency situation.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thanks Phil!

Exactly addresses my curiosity & I absolutely understand the point b/t hunting & self defense.

I’ve made the same point in kind of the reverse when folks have pointed out the successful use of tiny pistols like .22 & .25 in assassinations or murders of unsuspecting or disabled victims, questioning why they are not recommended for defense against a determined attacker.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

WOW! That’s got to be a handful in the ‘65!

Thank you and hope you folks never have to use these in an emergency situation.

They do recoil pretty stiffly but are much more pleasant and manageable than my 44 Mtn Gun with equivalent loads.
But that load is literally painful to shoot in a M60 J frame S&W

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was invited by some friends to go trout fishing in Yellowstone years back. They went every year and the previous year they’d had a brush with a grizzly, no damage but they still stuttered when they spoke of it. They carried bear spray but I wanted a pistol and one with serious horsepower. My M60 always seemed to work in Colorado and Wyoming but I wanted something more powerful than the Keith semi-wadcutters at 900fps I’d always carried. Loaded up some 190 gr round nose flat points, I had for my 357 carbine ,to book max plus a little bit more. I thought I would try them just to see how bad the recoil was…I fired 3 shots…unloaded the other 2 rounds and went to the urgent care place to get stitches in the cut on my thumb from the cylinder latch.

Kaywoodie
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Those lightweight Smith's are STRONGER THAN WE ARE !!!

"not too grumpy"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That they are...lol!!

Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will say that I would feel better armed with my 9mm and 147 Gr FN Buffalo bore ammo than my M60 357

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Good choice

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will say that I would feel better armed with my 9mm and 147 Gr FN Buffalo bore ammo than my M60 357

More holes are well, more, right?

Just saw you have a podcast with Spomer. Looking forward to that.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Podcast was excellent, thanks for answering the question Phil.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348

More holes are well, more, right?

Just saw you have a podcast with Spomer. Looking forward to that.

More is better but I’d bet the controllability is the big point there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
458Win;
Morning sir, I hope all is going more than less according to plan up there and you and the family are all well.

Thanks for doing the podcast with Ron Spomer, it was one of the better ones that Ron has done I thought.

I learned a whole bunch on a variety of nuanced subjects which I always enjoy.

Thanks again and all the best to you and your family this upcoming season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,806
Posts18,477,524
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.