Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any idea what size screw is used to hold the windage/elevation knobs on the Redfield sight?

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've just caught up with this Thread... A month late! I've collected these FN commercial mausers and perhaps to contribute some info here. First the wider picture! The of FN actions of two basic categories. FN 300 series which nomenclature only becoming relevant as the 400 series appeared, more usefully distinguished as the FN Supreme Action. The earliest Postwar FN Commercial genre were basically commercially finished standard historic pattern mausers in all respects. Bit later same but low scope bolt as same pattern throughout production. Then a transition models with solid left sidewall as residual humped bridge with clip guides. Only Husqvarna models reflecting this unique genre. Moving right along, the standard early FN commercials arriving in 1950 as seen in this Thread, with FN receiver ring logos as undrilled for scopes. later drilled as noted. There's actually a mix of drilled & undrilled within a serial range primarily in 1951. The barrel contours were considerably changed also with earliest fifties models having an elevated open sight and may or not be drilled for receiver sight. And of that subject, the "Armstrong Dual Range" aperture sight was the only one factory furnished. It was expensive and from a couple of specimens I have owned, the Lyman 48 achieved everything at a better price point. As noted, the Model 48 FN would be the correct sight for the factory drilled actions. The Lyman 57 is also a contender. Both nowadays are considered preferable with the "Target" versus "Hunter" knobs which utilize the "coin slot" for adjustment. Lyman made a last Third version of the Model 48 which addressed the otherwise need of earlier editions to be inletted into the stock. The Third, without such need 'unless' the stock dimensions extra thick! The need to inlet a stock rather certainly means a sight to remain lest an ugly void resulting. The fate of the original fifties later vaunted original FN commercial models offered under their name, lasted only through 1953. The cost of production and more lucrative NATO weapon contracts condemned such further production. The FN commercial mauser reputation was of "Expensive European" quality manufacture with their "French Walnut" heralded stocks and relied heavily on that as sinking into the sunset. The FN Model 400 "Supreme" action intro'd of late fifties had the safety moved to the trigger with sliding tang use. Also, alloy bottom metal definite downside. A lot more to be said, but essentially such the essence of the early fifties models. Collector perspective, I'd urge not to D&T an early pristine FN logo action as depreciating value. But as ever, your gun, your choice! That said, you can get a Husqvarna FN era action brand rifle at relative bargain price to the more highly polished better wood, yet original, FN branded logo piece!
Time to bow out as much yet unsaid but moving to nuances!
Best!
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I would NOT drill that rifle for a scope with that nice FN crest on the front ring. A receiver sight is the way to with that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 264mag, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 14,552 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,334
Posts18,546,196
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.