Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
#1 - Cross-chest carry

#2 - shoulder holster

memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pay attention knuckleheads - BIB Overalls - no belt. The best suggestions by far are the ones for a chest holster. NOT a shoulder holster, those suck. The Diamond D Guides, the Kenai Gunfighter, the El Paso Saddlery Tanker, and that type are what you're looking for. Those types of holsters go over your bibs and can go under rain gear, under light jackets, and over winter coats. You can wear a tool pouch and not interfere with the gun. Same for a backpack. Easier to access when riding in a tractor, ATV, or other vehicle. The versatility is amazing, they are comfortable and easy on - and off. The gun is tucked close and doesn't bang on doorways, catch on seatbelts, snag on fence wire, and all that annoying stuff a gun on the waist belt can do. If you take a tumble the gun is probably better lying snug against your chest than sliding and banging away off your hip. Chest holster for the easy win.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Depends on the day
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shoulder holster is going to be about it for wearing overhauls.

Chest holster is a no go for doing any actual work. Using a shovel, carrying anything heavy, working on fence, anything that requires you to do much in front of you that chest rig is going to be in the way. I own a bunch of them and they’re great for hunting and fishing but suck for trying to do much else in.

I prefer a good tight fitting strong side that fits close to my body. For 1911 I’ve gotten a lot of good service out of a Galco Avenger. Revolvers a well molded pancake is tough to beat, I prefer Kramer but have several other brands as well.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by JPro
My bunch often uses various polymer/kydex paddle holsters with Glocks and XD pistols. They get wet, muddy, filled with leaves and briars, etc, so I mostly just pop the pistol out at the end of the day and blow off all the debris. Main outdoors/chore pistol for the last few years is this XDM 10mm. I stick a .40S&W CCI shotshell in my pocket on warm days. It won't cycle the action, but it works well on snakes. Hollowpoints work well too, but I waste too many.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There are good snakes and bad snakes. Looks like you converted a bad moccasin into a “good” moccasin. 🐍

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only kind of “good” moccasin, true. I’ll go out of my way to kill those guys.

Now with even more aplomb
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use this:
https://www.fireforceusa.com/holsters/8834.html

I like a holster with a flap to protect from elements/debris, and it also carries an extra mag.

Oops, didn't see the bibs requirement; agreed a chest holster would work.

Last edited by Eric308; 04/18/24.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Galco “Miami” shoulder holster. It works great and doesn’t restrict movement.

Last edited by KirkJ; 04/18/24.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For bibs, I’d stick an lcr in my strong hand pocket can go about life as normal.

MAGA
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
My son has a Gunfighter Kenai holster for his Ruger Alaskan 44mag and he says it is painful to wear in the summer with only a shirt on. The lump for the cylinder on the backside of the kydex holster used in the Kenai, and all revolver type holsters, hurt your chest during wear. This is especially true if the holster is worn high on the chest to keep it out of the way in bending over to work. At this location the revolver cylinder lump is pressing on the sternum and/or ribs and is very uncomfortable.

I would think chest type holsters would work well with pistols due to the flatter backside profile.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Like I said earlier, I build fence, use a Mexican spoon, every thing, except work cattle, with a leather chest rig, doesn’t flop around, don’t know about these other guys, winter time you can wear under coat and zip it up, no one knows it’s there, all the guides around here carry there revolver this way.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a kydex IWD holster from We The People for my Hellcat Pro. It's an EDC that I use for in town or around the home, woods, tractor, QTV or zero turn mower. I've had a few issues around here so I'm always armed.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I can’t imagine bib overhauls and a shoulder rig

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
If your bibs are like mine, you can pocket carry all of the guns you listed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tcb22
Might look at the hill people gear chest bag/pack. I’ve had one for years for wood cutting and hunting.

This. Knife, G17 w/3 mags, cell phone, and other EDC items.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Appreciate all of the input. GFI Kenai Chest holster inbound for Glock.

I have the Galco version of this rig for vertical concealed carry. Works well for both 1911 and G34. Two neodymium super magnets on the spine for retention.

I have a plain version of this with thumb break. Would be a toss up for me vs the shoulder rig when I am wearing britches and belt.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Old school leather here.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The shoulder rig frowned on for a few reasons in technicality or bystander safety. But for every day around the farm it might be hard to beat.

I used to travel from Ky. to the Rockies for a 2 week stay there. From the time we left till getting home I wore a shoulder holster. From a 2.5" 357 to a 6.5" 44 mag, they were rarely uncomfortable or in the way. From swinging a maul or using a chain saw, the SH was good to go. Broke some laws in those days probably but never felt visible. Just comfortable enough to go from the camp to town without really thinking about it.

Can be expensive to own several, but damn handy in my opinion. Crazy good deals on EBAY for good used ones.

In the fat assed old fart dgaf days of my life I might be seen on my property clothed in a wide variety of non compliance, even in nakedness a shoulder holster can serve.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.