Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I had the occasion within the past week to shoot a very large brown bear with my Springfield 10mm
I was loaded with Federal
Federal premium Solid Core which is a hard cast coated bullet. 200 grain @ a reported 1200 fps. Bullet entered rib cage and was found in the thick muscle on the back of the skull. That is a LOT of penetration. It was a finishing shot rather than a charge stopper.
The bear did charge but i hit him in the face with my 9.3. I ended up in the Alders digging him out. He charged a second time at 20 feet but was pretty sick by then. In all, it took 4 rounds from my rifle and one from my handgun.
My take on all this is that some handgun rounds are capable of massive penetration and that big bears are not impressed with fire power.

Wow! At least you were well armed

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That i was

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
The entire internet has heard about how Phil killed a charging brown bear with his 9mm.

Only the bear wasn't charging Phil. It was standing pissed off a few yards away broadside without knowing the shooter was even there. Then after he couldn't locate his intended target and started feeling bees stinging him he decided to make a retreat. Dying in the process.

Had the shooter and clients position been swapped the story very likely would have had a different outcome. Everyone involved got extremely lucky in how things played out. You might say dumb luck saved the day.

Can a 9mm kill a bear? Obviously. Can it save your life by stopping a charging bear? That remains to be seen and I remain highly dubious. Having people believe it's a perfectly adequate tool for the job based on the exaggerated facts of a single anecdotal event likely does more harm than good.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We all want to believe we're ready to face whatever happens but it doesn't always go as scripted.

Mike Adams grizzly attack is on u tube and according to him the video is pretty accurate. Mike was carrying a .44 mag with heavy XTPs though he called them hardcast xtp's so maybe not a handgun guy, however he shot the bear point blank while it was chewing his arm. They pulled DNA off his front sight to verify what bear it was. The bear lived.

All that said, ammo becomes more important than cartridge. Phil isn't telling everyone to carry a 9mm for bear defense, but did make the point about hitting better with it. If deep penetration is what he recommends regardless of caliber its likely for a reason.

Link below to Mike Adams story.

Last edited by BigNate; 05/13/24. Reason: Added link

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My wife and I have spent the last week hiking the hills both side of the North Fork of the Shoshone River between Cody and Yellowstone so this topic is pretty real to me right now. My "hiking gun" has been reduced to a G43 due to a herniated disc which caused my PT to advise not carrying >20 lbs.

My best comfort comes from knowing that I can dump 6 rounds of 147gr BB hardcast into 6" at 10 yards in <3 seconds from my HPG chest rig or Hydration vest. I think Phil's best lesson was to emphasize the importance of the performance of the actor rather than the props.

In our hikes I talked to several locals who were scouting and exercising their horses and they had more scary encounters w/ momma moose than w/ bears.

Where is the best place to shoot a phuggin pissed off woman moose?

Back home we only have to worry about tweakers and Mountain Lions. Griz and Moose up close are way more scary!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Again, easy to see why Phil gets a belly full of the “Experts” on this site. His point clearly boiled down to choosing a bullet that can penetrate from a gun you can hit with. He made no exaggerated claims whatsoever and backs his hard earned opinions with what he carries in harms way daily.

Originally Posted by justin10mm
The entire internet has heard about how Phil killed a charging brown bear with his 9mm.

Only the bear wasn't charging Phil. It was standing pissed off a few yards away broadside without knowing the shooter was even there. Then after he couldn't locate his intended target and started feeling bees stinging him he decided to make a retreat. Dying in the process.

Had the shooter and clients position been swapped the story very likely would have had a different outcome. Everyone involved got extremely lucky in how things played out. You might say dumb luck saved the day.

Can a 9mm kill a bear? Obviously. Can it save your life by stopping a charging bear? That remains to be seen and I remain highly dubious. Having people believe it's a perfectly adequate tool for the job based on the exaggerated facts of a single anecdotal event likely does more harm than good.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just demonstrates a major unsaid fact here. It can be pretty dang handy for your partners in an excursion to be armed. I imagine anybody alone and being chewed on would welcome a friend with a 9mm.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Handguns are 98% effective ti defend against bear attacks

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/11/ha...s-170-documented-incidents-98-effective/

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How much experience do you have with big bears?
Phil has been hunting and or guiding for 45 years.
Phil dam sure knows what works and you don't.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

So exactly how many bears have you killed, and with what?

Would also like to know how many wild grizzly/brown bears you've actually seen?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I doubt anyone has lots of experience stopping charging grizzlies with a handgun. Probably lots of one timers and a few very unlucky repeaters. It would seem that the guide’s big advantage would be his familiarity with bears and their behavior. That should help him avoid lots of trouble, as well as maintain his composure in close range encounters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of our forum members just posted about his brown bear hunt with a 9.3X62 and it took FOUR shots. Keep thinking youre fine with a hand gun let alone a 9 and I haven't even seen one except in a zoo

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
One of our forum members just posted about his brown bear hunt with a 9.3X62 and it took FOUR shots. Keep thinking youre fine with a hand gun let alone a 9 and I haven't even seen one except in a zoo

Plus a 10mm coup de grace. In the aftermath comments the shooter stated the 200 gr. 10mm bullet had penetrated very deeply into and through the bear.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Reading comprehension.

It’s a thing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I rarely carry a hand gun when in bear country because I almost always have a rifle on me.
When I do it's a Glock 19X stocked with 147gr BBA. I simply shoot it better than bigger handguns I've had. I have thought about a Smith mountain gun in with medium 45 colt hard cast loads, but I really don't use a hand gun in bear country all that much.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
B: Do you fly cast in bear country with a rifle over your shoulder?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Justin, you are correct as far as your analysis goes, but you are ignoring the fact that unwounded bears are nowhere as determined and dangerous as wounded bears and that NO HANDGUN qualifies as a proper stopping weapon for previously wounded 1000 pound plus animals !
If the shooter is always capable of hitting a charging bear in the brain they can get by with any deep penetrating handgun, but I am certainly not and find the ability to get of multiple shots quicker with the 9mm outweighs the “power” of heavier recoiling handguns .

You may be the worlds best handgun shooter and perfectly capable of hitting small, rapidly advancing , erratically moving, targets when under duress and would be better off with a handgun of your choice.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458Win

Justin, you are correct as far as your analysis goes, but you are ignoring the fact that unwounded bears are nowhere as determined and dangerous as wounded bears and that NO HANDGUN qualifies as a proper stopping weapon for previously wounded 1000 pound plus animals !
If the shooter is always capable of hitting a charging bear in the brain they can get by with any deep penetrating handgun, but I am certainly not and find the ability to get of multiple shots quicker with the 9mm outweighs the “power” of heavier recoiling handguns .

You may be the worlds best handgun shooter and perfectly capable of hitting small, rapidly advancing , erratically moving, targets when under duress and would be better off with a handgun of your choice.

And even if he's not the best he clearly thinks he is

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Actually, Justin did raise some legit points and Phil responded fairly, and in a gentlemanly way. No pissing contest required. Good on both of them.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With apologies, I did not review the entire thread. What is Phil’s handgun of choice now for bear defense?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 41 invisible), 13,791 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,114
Posts18,542,145
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.