Print Thread
Hop To
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone here use or shoot a Mossberg 940 pro turkey with the holosun optic? Looking for feedback and reviews. Thanks

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I bought one, with the 24" barrel, to use for an all around bird gun (upland, waterfowl, turkey). I haven't mounted a red dot on it, but I've patterned it with different loads.

POI was just a little higher than 50/50, centered side to side. It has digested all ammo with no issues, from light target loads to #4 buck. All patterns with the factory turkey choke have been stellar. The longbeard ammo, in #5s, was very impressive at 40 yards.

I shot a half round of sporting clays, and broke 47 out of 50. Most targets were crushed, using an IC choke.

It strikes me as being ALOT of gun for the money. So much so, I bought a second one.....as a spare! (that is the highest rating I can give a gun!)

Andy3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Andy3, your review prompted me to take a look at them...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I gotta get one. I’ve seen them at a few online stores on gunbroker for under 890

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I went to the LGS, on the off chance they had one in stock. They had 2. Regular price $900, on sale for $720.....a week before turkey season. WTF???

My first question was, "what is wrong with it?" It came up good and had all the goodies, in the box, so I took a chance and bought it. $763.20, out the door.

After shaking it down, I went back and bought the second one!

It patterns exactly the same as the first one. Serial numbers are 80 apart.

Andy3

IC B2

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Damn. Great deal.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That’s a smoking deal!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just got the 18.5" and put the holosun eps full size green mrs on and it's awesome, the least astigmatism red dot I've seen, it's almost like I don't have it at all lol, so close the face works I guess as the red dot (green) looks like it's literally out there on the target. And I'll be using the circle part of the reticle without the dot as at 32 moa the circle is 16" at 50 and 8" at 25 yards...where the pattern will go. Green is better color for me than red by a good margin in terms of astigmatism flare. No center dot needed for the shotgun...just that beautiful green circle. Why full size eps instead of smaller carry model....1) it's not a pistol, so the larger fov does several things over and above just having such a big fov...it's brighter, it's also easier to find the reticle/dot, it's easier to keep the reticle/dot....and when I say eps full size it's for a full size pistol frame lol...so it's still a tiny little pistol reflex sight...much better suited and the ultra tiny 'carry' versions made for the munchkin pistol frames, also the EPS has a lower deck height therefore dot than the 407/507k series...so it is the lowest cheek alignment option imo....the EPS is enclosed...nothing can get in to the backside of the front lens or interrupt the emitter....and it has solar, batteries optional, it works in daylight without battery in it...like any regular calculator...it does not take much ambient light to make it work

I did get a barrel without gas ports though so first range day it's just a single shot. Doing warranty now, ordered another as I'm not waiting that's how much I like this, I'll have to sell the other when it gets the right barrel. So I can't tell you yet about patterning.

Trigger came at 4.5 lbs....and is awesome. The weight came in less than stated also. Out of the box with the xx full turkey choke and butt spacers to 13 7/8" lop it weighed 7 lb 1 oz.

I took out the 1/2" spacer to go 13 3/8" lop and it was 7 lb 0 oz. And going to regular Carlson extended non-ported chokes drops weight 1 more oz! And then adding that Holosun I think only adde half and ounce because you remove the steel plate first which weight about half of what the little red dot weighs!.

OAL with the Carlson extended and the 13 3/8" lop is 39 1/4"....fits in a regular short 42" soft case like a dream. Regular Carlson extended non-ported chokes about a half inch shorter than the xx full ported that comes with the gun.

It's a sweet rig....just make sure it has gas ports before you leave the store...hopefully there isn't a batch run of these where the porting guy missed work that day? Hopefully it's just a one off that got dropped into the completed bucket by accident while going through the porting station lol.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 04/26/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The 940 is an aluminum receiver? I milled my 870 for a Burris FF III red dot years ago and chose an 870 for the steel receiver. So... am I a trend setter? Or just a blind squirrel that found a nut?! Lol! Reading good things about the 940...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
The 940 is an aluminum receiver? I milled my 870 for a Burris FF III red dot years ago and chose an 870 for the steel receiver. So... am I a trend setter? Or just a blind squirrel that found a nut?! Lol! Reading good things about the 940...

yes I believe it's aluminum and you maybe set the trend, if I were actually a big shotgun guy I would have had my machinist do the same at some point, the 940 having it done already and doing everything else right brought me into the game and opened my wallet lol, now to find one with gas ports in the barrel so I can actually start shooting the dang thing

I don't do well with things way off the bore and having to solve with butt stock pads or other options to get alignment....no issues with the 940...a beautiful match with the holosun eps, the cut out is pretty deep in the receiver fyi so it was planned for, game changer for shotguns...the Italians better be scrambling to compete imo

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 04/26/24.
IC B3

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Can’t find these cheap or on sale anywhere

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 53 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.