Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had a calculus prof in college who had tests just like that. His tests were way above what he taught. In any class of 100, there are always a couple students who can do it no matter how hard it is. He'd say if they can do it, the rest of you should, too. The engineering students had to get by him before they could go on to their upper engineering courses. They were commonly having to take his class 2 or 3 times to get through it.

I had a physics prof like that in junior college. I took three classes with that prof and was lucky enough to suffer all three with a genius that blew the curve on every test. He'd score in the 90's and the next highest grade was in the 70's, maybe. In the last class, the genius begged to not take the final, but the prof wasn't having it. The kid (graduated HS a couple years early) answered one or two questions to get the few points he needed overall for his A and walked out. It was the only test he didn't ace and it was the most upset I'd ever seen that prof.

Had a differential equations teacher that claimed she wouldn't round up at the end of the semester, but if you were happy with your grade you weren't required to take the final. Somehow, I scored a 95 on my final test. She graded it in front of me and calculated my grade to be a 69.something. She then says, "that's close enough to a C for me, do you want to take the final?" No, and thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by ribka
I had a calculus prof in college who had tests just like that. His tests were way above what he taught. In any class of 100, there are always a couple students who can do it no matter how hard it is. He'd say if they can do it, the rest of you should, too. The engineering students had to get by him before they could go on to their upper engineering courses. They were commonly having to take his class 2 or 3 times to get through it.

My calc and biochem Professor were the same. A score of 55 general was considered a B on the curve

I got a 23 on a physics test. Its was a B+.

One dude got 89.

Everyone else was in the 18-24 range.

The professor apologized.

The next tests were “at grade level”
This guy that I had didn't use a curve. You needed a 70 to pass and getting 49 or 50 on a test was the usual. That's why the engineering students were having to take it 2 or 3 times to get through.

If a teacher can't get most future engineers to score over 50%, then he's probably a lousy teacher. Maybe he's the one who needs more education.
You are correct. Trying to "outsmart" generally intelligent students is just being an asspole, not a good instructor.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 04/26/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
In Class: 5+5=10

Homework: 734+555-432/69=12.42

Test: With 2 sheep flying, one yellow and the other headed right, how much does a pound of asphalt cost, given that the cow is 10 years old?

Too bad you get an "F" for getting the Homework wrong...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One the subject of curves:

I took an undergrad sociology class where we were informed grading would strictly adhere to the classic Bell curve. Prof must have recently been schooled by a stats guru and become a committed follower. That being, there would be a definitive number of A's, B's, most of us would get C's, and yes for sure, some D's and F's on the low end. With no front-end knowledge of how tests might shake out, a 90% could potentially be an A or just as easily an F if everyone did well. No one felt comfortable, and the dropout rate picked substantially up near the end. With fewer students, grade slots were getting pretty narrow. I happily scored a B and did not go in to see what my actual numerical value was. I just wanted out.

A little off subject: But I had several classes where seniors were excused from final exams due to graduation schedules. I always thought that was unfair, as they should have the same opportunity to lower their grade that I did.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/26/24.

1Minute
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
One the subject of curves:

I took an undergrad sociology class where we were informed grading would strictly adhere to the classic Bell curve. Prof must have recently been schooled by a stats guru and become a committed follower. That being, there would be a definitive number of A's, B's, most of us would get C's, and yes, for sure some D's and F's. With no front-end knowledge of how tests might shake out, a 90% could potentially be an A or just as easily an F if everyone did well. No one felt comfortable, and the dropout rate picked substantially up near the end. With fewer students, grade slots were getting pretty narrow. I happily scored a B and did not go in to see what my actual numerical value was. I just wanted out.

A little off subject: But I had several classes where seniors were excused from final exams due to graduation schedules. I always thought that was unfair, as they should have the same opportunity to lower their grade that I did.

I never graded that way.

Suppose I taught differential equations two semesters in a row, and in one semester the class overall was filled with weaker students. If I taught and tested the same both semesters, the pure bell curve approach could lead to some B students from the weaker class actually having achieved less learning and mastery than C students from the stronger class.

IC B2

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by 5sdad
In Class: 5+5=10

Homework: 734+555-432/69=12.42

Test: With 2 sheep flying, one yellow and the other headed right, how much does a pound of asphalt cost, given that the cow is 10 years old?

Too bad you get an "F" for getting the Homework wrong...

I guess that my magic glasses let me down on seeing the invisible parentheses.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was an adjunct for a few years teaching engineering. This was one of my favorites:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yours in Liberty,

BL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew a guy in the USARMY that could pick up a book, flip through the pages for a few minutes and tell you what the entire book was all about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He must have been a speed reader. A professor told me JFK read 8 newspapers every day. I think he could read about 800 words per minute. And that's not even super fast. He showed us how speed reading works. It helped me a lot.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1Akshooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.