Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In Class: 5+5=10

Homework: 734+555-432/69=12.42

Test: With 2 sheep flying, one yellow and the other headed right, how much does a pound of asphalt cost, given that the cow is 10 years old?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
30 ducks

Dale

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a calculus prof in college who had tests just like that. His tests were way above what he taught. In any class of 100, there are always a couple students who can do it no matter how hard it is. He'd say if they can do it, the rest of you should, too. The engineering students had to get by him before they could go on to their upper engineering courses. They were commonly having to take his class 2 or 3 times to get through it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It gets even more interesting when it's a math test with no numbers or calculations being used in the commonly understood manner. grin

Here's one:

https://math.unl.edu/graduate/exams/quals/topology/Math871-872QualifyingExamMay2016.pdf

Here's one that's calculus like, but compared to lower division engineering calculus it's like an F-22 Raptor compared to a Piper Cub.

https://www.math.tamu.edu/graduate/phd/quals/nreal/j23.pdf

Algebra anyone?

https://www.math.tamu.edu/graduate/phd/quals/nalgebra/j23.pdf

Last edited by mathman; 04/25/24. Reason: added text
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Answer: Ours goes to eleven.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Test: With 2 sheep flying, one yellow and the other headed right, how much does a pound of asphalt cost, given that the cow is 10 years old?

mathman over here like:

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Who is Spain?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Them numbers aint bothering me. I see no reason to bother them. Its a gentleman's agreement

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an old math book that belonged to my great grandfather with an original copyright date from the 1700's. He was born in the 1850's. Most of the problems are practical word problems to solve real world scenarios. Many of them were farm and agriculture related such as how much seed or fertilizer you needed to buy for a certain amount of acreage. But it's definitely dated. One problem that stuck with me was to calculate how much it would cost you to hire painters to paint your house if you were paying each 10 cents/day to paint.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MAC
Them numbers aint bothering me. I see no reason to bother them. Its a gentleman's agreement

Fully agree. - makes my rosebud pucker just thinking about it, so I don't! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I do math all day long when I'm not in meetings. Well, now I cheat and write formulas in excel.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Who is Spain?

What is Aleppo?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
It gets even more interesting when it's a math test with no numbers or calculations being used in the commonly understood manner. grin

Here's one:

https://math.unl.edu/graduate/exams/quals/topology/Math871-872QualifyingExamMay2016.pdf

Here's one that's calculus like, but compared to lower division engineering calculus it's like an F-22 Raptor compared to a Piper Cub.

https://www.math.tamu.edu/graduate/phd/quals/nreal/j23.pdf

Algebra anyone?

https://www.math.tamu.edu/graduate/phd/quals/nalgebra/j23.pdf

I had a calculus prof that would give us colors and abstract stuff, his exams sucked. My next calculus prof was a retired WPPSS engineer and every problem was a story problem, I really liked his exams.

One day I realized that the physicist we collaborated with viewed the world in differential equations. When I mentioned it he said "you don't?". No sir, for me math is a screwdriver and nothing more.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Was never good at math, I'll admit. Now when I help my daughter, or try to, I need to Google the question. When I see the answer, I can walk her through the question without telling her the answer. She's in 7th grade. I'm starting to understand this new math curriculum they teach.

Last edited by Joel/AK; 04/25/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had a calculus prof in college who had tests just like that. His tests were way above what he taught. In any class of 100, there are always a couple students who can do it no matter how hard it is. He'd say if they can do it, the rest of you should, too. The engineering students had to get by him before they could go on to their upper engineering courses. They were commonly having to take his class 2 or 3 times to get through it.

My calc and biochem Professor were the same. A score of 55 general was considered a B on the curve

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

Is this you subtle way of asking CASH to post more "Caveman Math"?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Hell if I know

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
4 peaches…

Last edited by navlav8r; 04/25/24.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My math teacher hated me... I couldn't give less a shit about X.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hated our Math teacher & that made me hate Math, my Grandfather said can you Add Subtract multiply Divide, count your money?? I said yes Granddad said you don't need any more Math tell him to go to Hell and go to work, and that's what I did it worked for me. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I do math all day long when I'm not in meetings. Well, now I cheat and write formulas in excel.
You're the guy !!!

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Had I attempted those, I'd have never graduated. I've had a few instances where I needed help with a problem and gone to teachers or mathematics PhD candidates. In most instances the response has been "no problem," and they start drawing on a sheet of paper. About 20 minutes later it's "can I get back with you in the morning?"

So, it was a problem.

I took a few stat classes, and matrix algebra was the way programmers handled things. Half way though the session, and with the board half covered with equations there was usually a phrase uttered like "surely you see the relationships," That usually got nothing but blank stares in return.

I'm yet to find my way through n-dimensional hyperspace.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/25/24.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just spent the day with phycologists getting a baseline of my mental decay.
lots of grade school math.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does grade school math = arithmetic?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm laughing so hard at the first post! That's me all day.
After struggling in college Algebra 101 I gave up. There were 2 pretty girls in my class that seemed as dumb and dizzy as they come. We had a test one day and I studied. They were done and leaving in 15 minutes. I still had 18 problems to go. I threw in the towel for good.

But somehow I can add 3 digit figures in my head at a poker table faster than most people. And I know many college grads that can't read a ruler or a dial caliper.

Last edited by JD45; 04/25/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
They weren't no engineer then .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Math is the language to understand the universe.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Screwed that up!
Don't know how I double posted.

Last edited by AZmark; 04/25/24.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went to college in the early 70's. Electrical Engineering major, and calculus was my hardest class. Regular math, algebra, trig, geometry came easy, don't know why I had such a mental block for calculus, ended up never having to use it my whole career. Those days we used slide rules but electronic calculators came out during my college days, most professors wouldn't let you use them in class.

On another note my physics professor had worked at Los Alamos on the A-bomb. He was a weird duck, almost blind he had to use glasses that looked like binocular eyepieces. He could fill up a chalkboard with formulas and theories non-stop. He was so smart that he was very hard to follow, at least for the dumdums like me.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
"Five out of four people do not understand fractions"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One’s ability to do math correlates pretty well with how much you can earn. Study hard boys and girls.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
"Five out of four people do not understand fractions"

Yep, that's most all of them......right?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
4x X= 16. What is X?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Show that if a is a constant ,then u(x,t)=sin(at)cos(x) is a solution to

d^2u/dt^2 = a^2*d^2u / dx^2

Yours in Liberty,

BL
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Post Pa Kettle

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka

My calc and biochem Professor were the same. A score of 55 general was considered a B on the curve

I had both a Calculus and a Genetics Prof at TAMU like that. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hate is a strong word. Being born with a learning disability in math was not pleasant or wonderful. Finally figured out how to use guns to pass multiplication 7x7? Japanese rifle caliber ww2 =49 6x4? N frame s&w .44 special. After passing math I purchased my math book and all 29 of us took great joy burning our books at the flag in celebration of slaying the math monster. Really REALLY hate math. And chicken.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ironbender
Who is Spain?

What is Aleppo?

You missed the reference.

The proper response is “Why is Hitler?”

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I earned a BSEE degree and I remember how tough we all thought the calc and physics classes were those first few semesters. Then I went to grad school and figured out what whiney babies we were as underclassmen. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Chinese trig teacher in college. He took English lessons after our class. At least once a class he would just say he can't remember the English name for a term, so just skip it. In trig, terms like sine, cosine, etc. are somewhat important. I got a C out of the class. So far 35 years later it has not come back to haunt me.

Organic Chemistry, that's the one that kicked my ass.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
As long as she’s in the 180+ range all is good… very good!!😉

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm honestly getting very disappointed with this Campfire place when one cannot even use the thing with which they're communicating on this forum to easily find the answer.

I mean, it's right there on the youtubermachine.

Jeebus

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Excel is much, much more potent of a weapon that years past. With a help of a few fellow grad students, we made some cool optimization models with Solver. And we just scratched the surface of Excel.

Excel is worlds more than spreadsheets. I like any program application that allows you to look under the hood.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Never a fan of math.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I got a 23 on a physics test. Its was a B+.

One dude got 89.

Everyone else was in the 18-24 range.

The professor apologized.

The next tests were “at grade level”

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RAS

Excel is much, much more potent of a weapon that years past. With a help of a few fellow grad students, we made some cool optimization models with Solver. And we just scratched the surface of Excel.

Excel is worlds more than spreadsheets. I like any program application that allows you to look under the hood.

Knew a guy who would write excel formulas in word, then cut and past them over. Had some massive work books for reporting and he'd spend hours a day critiquing your formulas instead of using the data analysis they created. At the time, most of the other analysts were ignoring excel for R and python and the like.

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a friend who was scary smart and had photographic memory. He got a full ride to UM, for engineering. Pete was side gig was taking tests for people for money. Think back to when SS numbers were used as your student identifier time frame was early 1980's. Pete charged $200.00 to take any math test and could even get you the grade you wanted or needed. He never went to any of his classes. He just read the book and took the tests, midterms and finals. Pete took a lot of tests and had to turn people down just because of scheduling! He made a lot of money in college. To this day he is one of the smartest people I have ever met. Math was just easy to him. The four of us would play against him in trivial pursuit and he would beat us every time. Scary smart guy.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wabigoon
4x X= 16. What is X?

The letter between W and Y.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BMT

One dude got 89.

This guy that I had didn't use a curve. You needed a 70 to pass and getting 49 or 50 on a test was the usual. That's why the engineering students were having to take it 2 or 3 times to get through.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT

One dude got 89.

Happened to me in Chem once. I generally liked Chemistry but this class was brutal. 2 exams only. Mid-term and final. It was 2 questions, you had 1 week to do it as a take home. Essentially getting part of one question right was a guaranteed B, getting 2 parts of 1 question right was an A.

LOVED the class as it was 99.5% lab work - hated the exams.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who is Spain?

What is Aleppo?

Potent Potables or Pen Is Mighty?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Was never a fan of Horatios

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Nice! Hahaha!

I was terrible at math growing up. Not my strongest subject now but am better.

My best friend was and is a genius....so that is why I passed all my high-school math.

Mr. Pollington was my college math professor. He was a good teacher...and a gun nut.

I would go in on Thursdays and get help from him and he started talking about hunting Bighorns on his brother's farm.

The conversation turned to rifles and I said I figured a 280 Rem improved would be a good sheep gun.

I had no problems after that.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
4x X= 16. What is X?

IDK

BUT!!!

If you meant:

4 x X = 16. what is X? I could do it.

Or

If you meant 4X = 16, What is X? I get that too!

wink

Which did you intend???

Last edited by Muffin; 04/26/24.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Who is Spain?

What is Aleppo?

You missed the reference.

The proper response is “Why is Hitler?”

P

Well hell!!
I had 'Bourbon'

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hate meth too.

Ruins lives...

/s

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Double decker Ham sandwich !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BMT

One dude got 89.

This guy that I had didn't use a curve. You needed a 70 to pass and getting 49 or 50 on a test was the usual. That's why the engineering students were having to take it 2 or 3 times to get through.

If a teacher can't get most future engineers to score over 50%, then he's probably a lousy teacher. Maybe he's the one who needs more education.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
At my school the physics profs were axe men too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My professor in honors physics 1974
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell_S._Brown

50 years later, what do I remember?

Just some of his jokes....

Chinese professor in our department wants to name a left hand spinning particle in the bubble chamber, "the screw off".
I am trying to explain to him, "NO YOU CAN'T!"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I had a physics prof like that in junior college. I took three classes with that prof and was lucky enough to suffer all three with a genius that blew the curve on every test. He'd score in the 90's and the next highest grade was in the 70's, maybe. In the last class, the genius begged to not take the final, but the prof wasn't having it. The kid (graduated HS a couple years early) answered one or two questions to get the few points he needed overall for his A and walked out. It was the only test he didn't ace and it was the most upset I'd ever seen that prof.

Had a differential equations teacher that claimed she wouldn't round up at the end of the semester, but if you were happy with your grade you weren't required to take the final. Somehow, I scored a 95 on my final test. She graded it in front of me and calculated my grade to be a 69.something. She then says, "that's close enough to a C for me, do you want to take the final?" No, and thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by BMT

One dude got 89.

If a teacher can't get most future engineers to score over 50%, then he's probably a lousy teacher. Maybe he's the one who needs more education.
You are correct. Trying to "outsmart" generally intelligent students is just being an asspole, not a good instructor.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 04/26/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Too bad you get an "F" for getting the Homework wrong...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One the subject of curves:

I took an undergrad sociology class where we were informed grading would strictly adhere to the classic Bell curve. Prof must have recently been schooled by a stats guru and become a committed follower. That being, there would be a definitive number of A's, B's, most of us would get C's, and yes for sure, some D's and F's on the low end. With no front-end knowledge of how tests might shake out, a 90% could potentially be an A or just as easily an F if everyone did well. No one felt comfortable, and the dropout rate picked substantially up near the end. With fewer students, grade slots were getting pretty narrow. I happily scored a B and did not go in to see what my actual numerical value was. I just wanted out.

A little off subject: But I had several classes where seniors were excused from final exams due to graduation schedules. I always thought that was unfair, as they should have the same opportunity to lower their grade that I did.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/26/24.

1Minute
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
One the subject of curves:

I took an undergrad sociology class where we were informed grading would strictly adhere to the classic Bell curve. Prof must have recently been schooled by a stats guru and become a committed follower. That being, there would be a definitive number of A's, B's, most of us would get C's, and yes, for sure some D's and F's. With no front-end knowledge of how tests might shake out, a 90% could potentially be an A or just as easily an F if everyone did well. No one felt comfortable, and the dropout rate picked substantially up near the end. With fewer students, grade slots were getting pretty narrow. I happily scored a B and did not go in to see what my actual numerical value was. I just wanted out.

A little off subject: But I had several classes where seniors were excused from final exams due to graduation schedules. I always thought that was unfair, as they should have the same opportunity to lower their grade that I did.

I never graded that way.

Suppose I taught differential equations two semesters in a row, and in one semester the class overall was filled with weaker students. If I taught and tested the same both semesters, the pure bell curve approach could lead to some B students from the weaker class actually having achieved less learning and mastery than C students from the stronger class.

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Too bad you get an "F" for getting the Homework wrong...

I guess that my magic glasses let me down on seeing the invisible parentheses.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was an adjunct for a few years teaching engineering. This was one of my favorites:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yours in Liberty,

BL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew a guy in the USARMY that could pick up a book, flip through the pages for a few minutes and tell you what the entire book was all about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He must have been a speed reader. A professor told me JFK read 8 newspapers every day. I think he could read about 800 words per minute. And that's not even super fast. He showed us how speed reading works. It helped me a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,808
Posts18,496,405
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.