Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is the forearm of the gun supposed to be reattached after putting on the 410 barrel? I tried it on a few takedowns and that forearm isn’t going back on there. What gives?

Is there a certain serial number range of takedowns that the 410 barrel is supposed to go on? If yes, what serial range was that? Didn’t they come out in the late 20s and early 30s? Was it just for Fs or other models like Gs?

Bonus question: Anybody got an extra 99 410/takedown case?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
What Cal. is the gun you are trying to put the barrel on and how long

is the 410 barrel ??

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, the forearm should be reattached, but you have to have the correct .410 barrel for the rifle in hand.

There are several different configurations of .410 barrels. I probably will miss some, but there are 26" standard weight barrels for the earliest rifles (somewhat rare); 22" and 24" featherweight barrels for models like the 1899 H,.250-3000, and early Fs and Gs; and 22" and 24" medium weight barrels for post 1926/1927 rifles. To be correct the .410 barrel should be the same length as the rifle barrel. Barrel addresses track the rifle barrel addresses, but there are also some that have a single line Style 4 address (no patent dates). My theory is that those are the earliest barrels.

I would guess that the .410 barrel you have is for a rifle with a different length forearm than the rifles you have tried it on.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jaaack and Fug. I will measure it tonight. I think it’s 22 inch.

I need to get more info and try other 99 TDs.

More to follow!

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Barrel is 22 inches long exactly.

With that being said, what does it fit then? Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
depends on whether it's a lightweight or a medium weight. If it's a lightweight it'll fit rifles with lightweight barrels produced before about 1926. If medium wight, the medium weight rifles produced from about 1926 and later.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The .410 barrel is a Savage rabbit hole. Tread lightly. smile

Here is some info and data from a previous thread discussion.
The .410 barrel length influences heavily the model Savage rifle it is paired to.
Fug provided much of the data, information and examples.
This should help narrow down the rifle choices.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If it’s in the book, forgive me but where is the information explaining barrel styles 4-8?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS
If it’s in the book, forgive me but where is the information explaining barrel styles 4-8?
In the book.
Murray, Royal or Reynoldson. Take your pick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RAS, "Style" refers to the address on the barrel.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just checked it on a 99F in 30-30 with serial 297,XXX. Also a 99G in 30-30 with 358,XXX. Both fit perfectly. Thank you for all your help.

I think I have 410 shells here somewhere.

The red squirrel arsenal is coming together.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
RAS, "Style" refers to the address on the barrel.

Nothing in Murray’s is exactly the same as the barrel address on the 410 barrel. But Style 6 in Murray’s is pretty close based on having the same font.

And that fits on perfectly in with my 99F in 30-30.

The address on the 410 barrel I have is all on one line.

Manufactured By Savage Arms Corp. Utica. N.Y. U.S.A.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No info on barrel addresses in my book. David has data.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
RAS, when you say the .410 barrel fits "perfectly" on two different rifles, exactly what do you mean? It would be extremely rare, and fortunate, if that .410 barrel indexes properly on two rifles without fitting being required. When the barrel is screwed in hand tight do the slots in the barrel and receiver line up exactly so you can install the forearm, or do you have to loosen the barrel somewhat in order to install the forearm?

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jaaack
RAS, when you say the .410 barrel fits "perfectly" on two different rifles, exactly what do you mean? It would be extremely rare, and fortunate, if that .410 barrel indexes properly on two rifles without fitting being required. When the barrel is screwed in hand tight do the slots in the barrel and receiver line up exactly so you can install the forearm, or do you have to loosen the barrel somewhat in order to install the forearm?

Yes, both barrels have to be loosened to indexed properly. I was referring to the contour and firearm fit.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not an expert. Maybe someone who is will come along. At least in the early days of the .410, barrels had to be fit by Savage. Proper fit requires the slots to be lined up when the barrel is tight. I suspect you might currently have excessive headspace. I wouldn't shoot one of those rifles without having the barrel properly fitted to one of the rifles by someone who knows how to do it. I'm guessing it can't be fitted properly to both rifles.

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into your red squirrel plans, but safety first!

And, I assume you know the .410 is chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells, not 3".

Last edited by Jaaack; 04/29/24. Reason: Added safety info
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There was a discussion a few years ago about clearance problems that can happen with the extractor when using a 410 barrel. The rim on a 410 is a larger diameter than the rims on other cartridges used in 1899's. When I fit a 410 barrel to a gun in 22HP I had to clean up the clearance groove in the receiver so the extractor could snap over the 410 rim. Another member with the same problem filed down the outside of the extractor slightly.

I also had to tighten the barrel to get it to index correctly. I used the method described in the 'Misc. Good info' sticky. If doing that, mark where you tap on the threads so if you happed to get it to tight you know where to adjust it back.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is a summary of the data Fug provided. eek

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,862
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.