-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great thread and thanks for the Info, Mackay.
Was just wondering what the distance of the shots in your drill was ?

Also wondering if you have tried the same drill with your 10mm Hard Cast loads in a Glock 20 ?
And if not, will you please do so in the future to give us comparable times ?
It would be interesting to see the difference.
My Glock 20 with the 220 gr hard cast BB loads definitely has quite a bit more recoil than my Glock 21 with comparable loads.

I’ll readily admit the Glock 21 is the softest shooting 45 acp I own. Mines a Gen 3. I need to go ahead and upgrade to a Gen 5 with optics, for these “old eyes”. The sights on my guns are not near as “sharp” as they used to be. 😬

Thanks again for another great post.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mack, as you know I've always been a longtime proponent of my S&W Mountain Guns in both 44 and 45 Colt flavors, but reality set in that as I've aged, quick, accurate shooting has deteriorated with my big wheel guns.

Hence the reason I have made the move to a Kimber Camp Guard 10 mm as my field gun now. 200 gr Hard cast are potent pills out of a 10mm that's for certain and the recoil impulse is better suited for me and my circumstances.

Keep loading that wonderful ammunition and good luck!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Then, there is the .460 Rowland kits with the compensators for steel and plastic guns.

https://460rowland.com/

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That .960 is impressive too.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The auto loader has a great deal to recommend it for outdoor use. A successful quest for appropriate ammunition is an excellent achievement.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't played much with autos vs revolvers in cold temps. I may have to experiment a bit with that, as revolvers still may hold an edge there.
I do know that my AR-15 and a couple of different .22 LR semi-autos won't cycle at -20F, even when degreased, and regreased with 'extreme low temp' gun oil, but I only used a few mid powered factory loads so that may have been part of the issue. Same with my Springfield 1911 .45 ACP. Even a couple of pump shotguns have had the trigger/sear/hammer gum up in those temps, with that 'low temp' oil applied.

I degrease and then dry graphite lube bolts/firing pin assemblys in my bolt guns in those temps, plus my trapping revolver and they have worked fine, down to -40F.

While I know those temps aren't realistic for a lot of what you all are discussing, I still think it is worth mentioning.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've seen the slide on my auto loaders operate visibly slower at temps in the minus zero F° range, but I've never had a stoppage. The experience gave me a preference for revolvers in the cold when I was younger. I'm not sure I'd be as concerned now. I'd definitely be particularly focused on careful prep of the gun before carry. The slim profile of certain guns does make them easy to protect under clothing, and access from beneath that clothing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
That Gen 5 G21 is such a soft shooting gun it is truly amazing.

G21s have long been known to have soft recoil as compared to a 1911. But the Gen 5 takes it to another level. I was out shooting a while back and ran some generic ball ammo through the gun, confirming the RDO was on. The recoil was so soft I thought something was wrong, so I stepped over to the chronograph and ran a couple rounds through the it. Nope. They were typical factory 230 grain ball, which was advertised as 800 FPS, but was really doing about 750. It felt like it was going in the 600s.

Shooting the big 250 grain flatpoints through the G21 Gen 5 is eye opening in the way the gun absorbs the recoil. That gun is absolutely the softest shooting .45 I have ever shot, hands down.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Optics on a self defense pistol are stupid.

Shhh. The adults are talking. Go sit in the corner and listen a spell. You might learn something.
Optics on a self defense pistol are stupid. I'm guessing you probably have optics on yours.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why do you say optics are stupid?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Optics on pistols is the future. In another 10 years, maybe less, you will see them on the majority of handguns carried by LE and the military.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
Optics on pistols is the future. In another 10 years, maybe less, you will see them on the majority of handguns carried by LE and the military.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Optics are more accurate and faster and that is a proven fact
If you will do not realize this, then you are too stubborn to see reality.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I have had my 4" Model 29 freeze up and the cylinder become inoperable after taking a tumble into the snow. Plus carrying it close to my body in a tanker rig, it made just enough of a difference that the metal was a slightly warmer temperature and it attracted moisture. I could cock the hammer back, but the cylinder would not rotate. I worked my way back to the truck and stuck it up on the dash, and let the defroster thaw it out while I continued my jackrabbit safari with a Glock 21 .45 acp, which ran flawlessly no matter how cold it was.

A few years back a number of us gathered at Ken Hackathorn's place for a cold weather shoot. I cannot remember exactly how cold it was but it was well below zero and it was a good observation of both how men and machines operate differently in temps around -20s or so. Proper lubrication of weapons is critical. People definitely slow down and have to think through processes such as reloading guns, putting guns back in holsters safely with numb hands, doing transition drills, etc.

When it comes to firearms, I use a very light layer of 0W-20 motor oil. This allows both handguns and rifles to work fine. It has been my experience, hunting in sub zero temps every year that the semi auto with loose tolerances, like a Glock (versus a 1911) is FAR more reliable than a revolver. A single bit of moisture from body perspiration will cause a revolver to freeze up when that migrates into the lockwork.

There is a very good reason why outfits like the Danish sled patrols use a Glock when operating in the arctic. They have conditions that are obviously rather harsh and chose equipment that would operate best in that environment. Many may not know it but they chose to use old 1917 Enfield 30-06 rifles as their primary rifle along with the Glock 10mms.

I have carried a Glock .45 with heavy loads for many years in the mountains and find it to be ideal for harsh environments. Plus I like the very lightweight to capacity ratio. That is hard to beat. Normally when I get an animal like an elk down, I will leave my rifle at the truck and just pack a handgun for subsequent trips back and forth, either using a pack frame or a game sled to transport the meat out.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Semi-auto handguns tolerate abuse and harsh conditions better than revolvers. Revolvers *might* tolerate neglect better. My cold weather hunting is from about 0* - low single-digit numbers with highs in the teens maybe. I use Ronson lighter fluid for lubrication. It is very thin, wicks excess liquid off, and leaves a thin oily residue on the gun parts. It is not for high-volume shooting but for a few days of hunting in the cold and a low volume of shots fired it works quite well.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I know for a fact that the FBI uses red dot sights. I'm not sure if it's a requirement across the board but they do use them.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Mackay, that is good info. I carry a XdM 45acp with the 13 rd mags and a load imitating yours in a HPG Recon. When carrying with that method, the extra weight of the 45 over a 9 isn't noticeable for me. So,I definitely prefer to have the 45.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had my 4" Model 29 freeze up and the cylinder become inoperable after taking a tumble into the snow. Plus carrying it close to my body in a tanker rig, it made just enough of a difference that the metal was a slightly warmer temperature and it attracted moisture. I could cock the hammer back, but the cylinder would not rotate. I worked my way back to the truck and stuck it up on the dash, and let the defroster thaw it out while I continued my jackrabbit safari with a Glock 21 .45 acp, which ran flawlessly no matter how cold it was.

A few years back a number of us gathered at Ken Hackathorn's place for a cold weather shoot. I cannot remember exactly how cold it was but it was well below zero and it was a good observation of both how men and machines operate differently in temps around -20s or so. Proper lubrication of weapons is critical. People definitely slow down and have to think through processes such as reloading guns, putting guns back in holsters safely with numb hands, doing transition drills, etc.

When it comes to firearms, I use a very light layer of 0W-20 motor oil. This allows both handguns and rifles to work fine. It has been my experience, hunting in sub zero temps every year that the semi auto with loose tolerances, like a Glock (versus a 1911) is FAR more reliable than a revolver. A single bit of moisture from body perspiration will cause a revolver to freeze up when that migrates into the lockwork.

There is a very good reason why outfits like the Danish sled patrols use a Glock when operating in the arctic. They have conditions that are obviously rather harsh and chose equipment that would operate best in that environment. Many may not know it but they chose to use old 1917 Enfield 30-06 rifles as their primary rifle along with the Glock 10mms.

I have carried a Glock .45 with heavy loads for many years in the mountains and find it to be ideal for harsh environments. Plus I like the very lightweight to capacity ratio. That is hard to beat. Normally when I get an animal like an elk down, I will leave my rifle at the truck and just pack a handgun for subsequent trips back and forth, either using a pack frame or a game sled to transport the meat out.

Thanks for the insight. Glocks and similarly designed pistols absolutely have been the most reliable for me, in any conditions. I dearly love a 1911 .45 ACP but I just can't trust them in extreme cold, no matter how I prep them with lubrication. I can see ice buildup along a cylinder causing it to jam up like you experienced and I could only guess that taking the same tumble could have the same body heat/ice effect along a Glock's slide rail. Have you tried imitating that same situation with a Glock? I'd be curious as to how it would fare.

I keep a Ruger Single Six---my trapping revolver---in a holster under my bino harness so it rides much like a tanker holster and have taken several dumps on my snowshoes, along with a few snowmachine wrecks. I haven't had snow/ice be an issue with it yet after those dumps but maybe I am just lucky? -20F is business as normal on my line. -40F is when things really get interesting. This particular day was cold enough to completely gum up my shotgun's trigger/sear system, despite being degreased and dry graphite lubed (or maybe it was just re-lubed with 'extreme cold oil'-I don't recall). It wouldn't budge at all. The revolver worked fine though. I don't recall taking a tumble that day but the drifting snow may have had a similar effect. I want to say it was colder than -40F but can't be certain of that. It was cold enough that my pickup wouldn't start when I got back to it.

Last edited by T_Inman; 04/30/24. Reason: Updated-can't quite recall

3 members like this: ldmay375, desertoakie, Sixpack
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, T-Inman that is a great picture. You have some great experiences, I always like reading your post.

I'm just musing in general here... If a revolver freezes, what needs to be done for it to function again in the field? Mac took his M29 back to the truck turned the heat on inside the truck and let it defrost the S&W. With a semi-auto drop the magazine, unload the chamber, and then vigorously rack the slide several times and dry fire it. If it won't dry fire and you absolutely have to access the inner workings it is easy to field strip the gun and maybe scrape or melt the snow or ice out of the trigger mechanism with a BIC lighter. I doubt many of us would take the sideplate off our revolvers in the field and blow the ice out. The modern striker-fired guns like the Glock, M&P, Sig, etc. are not only more robust in harsh conditions, but also easier to get back up and running if there is a problem. I truly love my S&W revolvers. But if push came to shove and I could only have one handgun in a wilderness survival situation my choice is easy. My G20 would be my choice.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friends,

I was out doing some testing of loads and decided to run a couple of 6 shot drills with the 9mm 148 grain +P hardcast flatpoint, and the .45 ACP 250 grain hardcast flatpoint that I produce.

I was using a Glock 19 and a Glock 21 for the drills. BTW, the velocity for the loads are 1100 FPS for the 9mm and 925 FPS for the .45 ACP.

I was shooting at a steel plate that I had brought along. I managed to leave my stand at home but propped it up with the arm that connects to the stand. When hammering on it with the .45 it was falling over and the last round went over it as the plate fell.

The results

With the heavy .45 250 grain +Ps in the G21:

.43 was the first shot.
1.56 was the last shot.

So 1.13 seconds for 6 shots.

Bear in mind that I don't shoot competition anymore and I am not as fast as I used to be, and I didn't do any warm ups. But I figure that was good enough.

With the little Glock 19 using the 148 grain +P flat points:

.55 reaction time to first shot.
1.57 was the 6th shot.
So 1.02 seconds for 6 shots.

I ran the G19 again, and finished at 1.58, so it was pretty obvious that that was where my "window" was for getting fast hits.

What was interesting (to me) was that there was basically a 1/10th of a second difference in time between the heavy 250 grain .45 +Ps and the 9mm 148 +Ps. The .45s definitely have more recoil, but for six shots, 1/10th of a second really is not something I am going to be concerned about. Bearing in mind that I have put a LOT of heavy loads through G21s and am used to shooting them, so that is a factor.

Either will work and I will continue to use both. It will just depend on the circumstances of where I am going and what my needs are at that time.

That kind of performance is unfathomable to me. I can't imagine what you were like when you were shooting competition.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC
First, T-Inman that is a great picture. You have some great experiences, I always like reading your post.

I'm just musing in general here... If a revolver freezes, what needs to be done for it to function again in the field? Mac took his M29 back to the truck turned the heat on inside the truck and let it defrost the S&W. With a semi-auto drop the magazine, unload the chamber, and then vigorously rack the slide several times and dry fire it. If it won't dry fire and you absolutely have to access the inner workings it is easy to field strip the gun and maybe scrape or melt the snow or ice out of the trigger mechanism with a BIC lighter. I doubt many of us would take the sideplate off our revolvers in the field and blow the ice out. The modern striker-fired guns like the Glock, M&P, Sig, etc. are not only more robust in harsh conditions, but also easier to get back up and running if there is a problem. I truly love my S&W revolvers. But if push came to shove and I could only have one handgun in a wilderness survival situation my choice is easy. My G20 would be my choice.

My Glock 20 would be my first choice also. My Glock 21 would be my second choice, of course, followed by my old Ruger Super BlackHawk. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 257robertsimp, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,496
Posts18,509,148
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.