Hop To
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Friends:

I trust the day finds you well, and your spirits up.

I have a set of older Xtratuff boots (pre-chinese) that is getting a little long in the tooth. I love these boots: they have done exceptionally well for me in Alaska, as well as on offshore fishing boats on the east and west coasts. So want to keep them around a little longer.

The fabric, while still flexible, is stiffening up. What might a person put on them to freshen them up a little and keep them in the game?

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pre-Chinese? I mean, that's like a pre-64 Winny shocked

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The fabric? Assume you are referring to the rubber?

I don't know of anything to "restore" the rubber, usally they start cracking or separating where the sole wraps around and is attached.

I quit buying xtuffs when the went to china.

I am on my second pair of lacrosse, they fit good and are slightly taller. Probably still made in china? Maybe Vietnam?

Before xtuffs went to China they were 100 bucks a copy. Price stayed the same, certainly they lowered their cost but neglected to pass that on to the customer.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If they are "rubber" a silicone based product may work to help give you a couple of more years of use.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Y
Y
I used to wear xtratuffs like runners. I tried Armourall on them a few times. Big Chief waders too. I don't know if it really does much, but I feel like I'm taking a stand. Aquaseal and Freesole will stick to cuts and tears but in my experience once they started to crack up they are on the way out. I gave up after one pair of Chinese ones. Kind of like Carharrts. I think only the rivetted ones are 'assembled in America'. I'm wearing a particular muck boot now, with a sole like the Big Chief. They don't track too much mud.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP is talking about the fabric that is adhered to the inside of the boot so your socks are not in direct contact with the rubber. I go thru a pair about every other year, so I've never rehabbed the inside of the boots. I'm trying a pair Grundens now for a change of pace. They are more of a deck boot than a beach/woods boot. Walking on barnacle encrusted rocks tears up rubber boots pretty darn quick. I run Alpha Burleys for regular hunting and Hoffmans rubber logging boots w/ carbide tipped caulks for the steep slippery stuff.

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
The OP is talking about the fabric that is adhered to the inside of the boot so your socks are not in direct contact with the rubber. I go thru a pair about every other year, so I've never rehabbed the inside of the boots. I'm trying a pair Grundens now for a change of pace. They are more of a deck boot than a beach/woods boot. Walking on barnacle encrusted rocks tears up rubber boots pretty darn quick. I run Alpha Burleys for regular hunting and Hoffmans rubber logging boots w/ carbide tipped caulks for the steep slippery stuff.

Actually I was thinking the rubber outside part on the "uppers", not the inside fabric which I thought was all one piece anyway, apologies for any confusion.

That said, these boots are unbelievably good - and comfortable - on slippery mossy rocks such as on beaches in Alaska. As good as it gets. Awesome boot.

They also do great on a deck full of tuna blood and sardine scales off SoCal and Baja, but that's a different story. LOL

If I can get another year or two out of them, I'll do whatever the needful is cuz the old ones ain't coming back!

And yes MM: pre-Chinese is the Xtratuff equivalent of the Pre-64. No doubt. Good synapses my man!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The older ones are neoprene. Anything designed to repair neoprene should work

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I think the poor QC of the early Chinee boots has been fixed - at least mostly. My pair bought 4-5 years ago seem to be holding up about as well as the old USA models.

Anyone else?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by las
I think the poor QC of the early Chinee boots has been fixed - at least mostly. My pair bought 4-5 years ago seem to be holding up about as well as the old USA models.

Anyone else?

Agreed.

I bought two pair of US made ones when they said they were going to China. Wore those out on about a year and a half average per pair. Was living on POW at the time so wore them damned near every day. First pair of Chinese I bought didn't last 3 months.

Last pair of Chinese tuffs have lasted longer than the average for the US ones. I imagine a bad pair slips in on occasion but I think they've had it fixed for awhile now.

Wish they were still made here but most things arent anymore it seems and I like dry feet so I still buy them.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by las

Anyone else?

Agreed. The new ones are as good as the old US-made models. I still wish they were US made though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,331 guests, and 661 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,636
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.