Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Just picked up Savage Target in .338 Lapua. Could not pass the deal up, its unfired, with a Burris Eliminator 3, and 60 rounds of ammo. Cant wait to get it to the range and dial it in.
Would enjoy hearing the pros and cons from folks that have a .338 and your opinions. I will prob use it for target and Elk hunting.

Thanks in advance
Bill

Last edited by Wizard1962; 04/28/24.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a 338 Lapua rifle , i used a Weatherby Mark 5 action , fiber stock with a aluminum bedding block and then glass bedded action floated the barrel . barrel is Brux heavy #4 contour , 12 twist " i think ? " ,28 in barrel ,muzzle brake ,i had greg use a brand new reamer , i also did some trigger work . used Picatinny mounts and 8-32x56 Nightforce scope. rifle shoots fantastic but with 6 loaded cartridges in boot this rifle weighs 14 lbs. i would not want to carry this rifle all day in the mountains , but for sitting in stand or or watching ridges with this rifle will do well at any distance with plenty power ,i prefer a bi-pod when ridge hunting. good luck , Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/28/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a BIL that put one together shortly after they came out. He has used it several times hunting in Colorado. He's taken several mule deer and elk at ranges around 700 yards. None took a step after being hit.

But IMO it's just too much of a good thing.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I usually always agree with JMR. I have a buddy that has one, he's a pretty good shooter and the rifle puts 5 shots into about 3/4", with either of us shooting it. Not a bad shooting rifle, but as it came from the factory, it was lacking. The rail started loosening up on him, and his groups started to walk all over the place. I'm talking 3 feet in one direction or the other. I've seen this before with many Savage rifles, chambered for lesser cartridges. Generally my buddies don't bring a rifle home, and pull everything apart, and loctite schidt. Live and learn. Moral of the story, loctite schit, especially the factory rail. Also, check the underside for burrs around the screw holes on the rail. Remove those with a half round file. Other Savage 338 LM's, I've seen, have not shot as well as this one. Maybe they did not loctite the factory rail down either. Maybe they just couldn't shot for chidt? Your guess is as good as mine there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be more than a touch dubious about the rifle,ammo and scope. In no particular order. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd be more than a touch dubious about the rifle,ammo and scope. In no particular order. Hint.

I purchased the combo from a good friend. He purchased it thinking he would get into long range target shooting. But soon after, was in a bad motorcycle wreck and lost his right arm.
I picked this up and the nicest weather Vanguard in 30-06 I have ever seen. Wood stock is incredible

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks for everyone's input

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by pete53
i have a 338 Lapua rifle , i used a Weatherby Mark 5 action , fiber stock with a aluminum bedding block and then glass bedded action floated the barrel . barrel is Brux heavy #4 contour , 12 twist " i think ? " ,28 in barrel ,muzzle brake ,i had greg use a brand new reamer , i also did some trigger work . used Picatinny mounts and 8-32x56 Nightforce scope. rifle shoots fantastic but with 6 loaded cartridges in boot this rifle weighs 14 lbs. i would not want to carry this rifle all day in the mountains , but for sitting in stand or or watching ridges with this rifle will do well at any distance with plenty power ,i prefer a bi-pod when ridge hunting. good luck , Pete53

Thanks Pete53. Sounds like a fine rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wizard1962

I purchased the combo from a good friend. He purchased it thinking he would get into long range target shooting. But soon after, was in a bad motorcycle wreck and lost his right arm.
I picked this up and the nicest weather Vanguard in 30-06 I have ever seen. Wood stock is incredible

Emotions do NOT "bolster" Mechanics. Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Riar Rarry fired one prone and they saw the skid marks from the international space station.

He's dubious about anyone and everything. It's the sociopathic thing to do.

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W

What dont you like about this combination ? The Savage or the Burris ? Curious to hear your thoughts.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I usually always agree with JMR. I have a buddy that has one, he's a pretty good shooter and the rifle puts 5 shots into about 3/4", with either of us shooting it. Not a bad shooting rifle, but as it came from the factory, it was lacking. The rail started loosening up on him, and his groups started to walk all over the place. I'm talking 3 feet in one direction or the other. I've seen this before with many Savage rifles, chambered for lesser cartridges. Generally my buddies don't bring a rifle home, and pull everything apart, and loctite schidt. Live and learn. Moral of the story, loctite schit, especially the factory rail. Also, check the underside for burrs around the screw holes on the rail. Remove those with a half round file. Other Savage 338 LM's, I've seen, have not shot as well as this one. Maybe they did not loctite the factory rail down either. Maybe they just couldn't shot for chidt? Your guess is as good as mine there.

Thanks. I did pull the scope and mount and added some loctite just in case and made sure everything is smooth.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The trouble(s) with the rifle,is it is typical Salvage schit,which is a far greater deal on the chambering you cite,as opposed to a 10# 223. There's simply nothing redeeming in the parcel,if only by design. Hint.

The "scope" is absolute fhuqking junk and a farce. Simply trip it,before it pukes. Hint.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

What dont you like about this combination ? The Savage or the Burris ? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Best question to ask is "who gives a rat's ass what he thinks or likes?" Can't say zero do, but it's damn few. HINT. He just can't take the hint.

He just trolls the forum, and see's something that triggers him, then it's like a monkey clashing cymbals, trying to draw attention. But, it fails, as always.

You bought the rifle, take it out, shoot it, and enjoy it. Don't let some envious forum coward hiding behind a keyboard get the best of you.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by KenMi

Best question to ask is "who gives a rat's ass what he thinks or likes?" Can't say zero do, but it's damn few. HINT. He just can't take the hint.

He just trolls the forum, and see's something that triggers him, then it's like a monkey clashing cymbals, trying to draw attention. But, it fails, as always.

You bought the rifle, take it out, shoot it, and enjoy it. Don't let some envious forum coward hiding behind a keyboard get the best of you.

Thank you very much KenMi. I will have to agree with you 100%. Guess some folks have to be a Richard Cranium to make themselves feel better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchAgain,

Don't be so hard on yourself,not everyone has the capacity to be a Drooling CLUELESS Brokedick Professional Victim and a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot,which you've spent your "life" perfecting...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I believe it prudent,to keep in mind every time one touches off the trigger,that there's an explosion close to one's lips(and your crossed eyes). Personally,when it comes to bumping a boltface this far,gas handling enters the equation. Tougher yet on a single shot,as there's no "down an out" path for same. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination,Pretend and Whining are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGING!...............

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks. I did pull the scope and mount and added some loctite just in case and made sure everything is smooth.

Sounds good! Did you happen to see the recent video of a guy that had issues with the barrel threads being off? Looks like a QC/manufacturing issue to me.

That was a recent video that I saw. He said he took it to his smith, and had the threads recut, but I think he's still having issues with it. Just something to check. Hopefully yours shoots well, with no problems..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did you happen to see the recent video of a guy that had issues with the barrel threads being off?

Really shocked to see that someone too dumb to check alignment on a new barrel / silencer combo is also dumb enough to reveal that fact on jewtube.

C
C
Love my Christensen Arms MPR in 338 LM. hunted in Colorado with it. I found my shots had less dispersion from side to side compared to my other rifles especially at longer distances of 500-800 yards. its a tack driver though. I have a Leupold 6HD on there and the stock picatinny rail starts with 20 MOA.

Only thing is, I need to get into reloading for it because the ammo is [bleep] expensive! Good luck and enjoy shooting it!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by CampingFan
Love my Christensen Arms MPR in 338 LM. hunted in Colorado with it. I found my shots had less dispersion from side to side compared to my other rifles especially at longer distances of 500-800 yards. its a tack driver though. I have a Leupold 6HD on there and the stock picatinny rail starts with 20 MOA.

Only thing is, I need to get into reloading for it because the ammo is [bleep] expensive! Good luck and enjoy shooting it!

Thanks campingfun. I cant wait to get it to the range. I agree about the ammo. Once I go thru the 60 rounds I already have, I will start reloading for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 160user, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,610
Posts18,511,706
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.