Print Thread
Hop To
#19417432 04/28/24
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
As my boys get older I'm thinking of getting a boat. Probably fresh water only, lakes and rivers such as the Snake and Columbia. Comfortably fits four. Small enough to hug the shoreline without too much hassle, big enough to handle some chop if wind picks up. The impossible do it all boat.

What would be some ideas to look into?

Thanks

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best buy will be someone's cream puff--a name brand boat/motor/trailer that has been lightly used and lavished with care; not some fixer-upper. 4-stroke motor. Side or center console. Glass or welded aluminum.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Most serious fisherman on the snake and Columbia run an aluminum with a jet. I would want a PNW style like a North River or Wooldridge around 20’ with a windshield and a canvas enclosure.

I would also prefer an inboard jet vs. and outboard but that’s just a personal preference….. I’d also have a 36v trolling motor on the bow with spot lock and the biggest lithium batteries I could afford.

I know a guy who has a 21 ft hughescraft with a minkota ultrex and 3 big 12v lithiums, he can run his spot lock in a river all day (8-10 hours) and still have juice left over. Has a remote so he can reposition the boat and even troll at slower speeds without having to get off his azz.

And if your running REALLY shallow, put a winch on it too and carry a spool of mule tape 🤣

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
V bottom deep waters flat bottom run in shallow waters. Also jet engine runs in shallow the other is deep. Just something to think about with rivers are shallow lakes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First and most important question is what kind of water do you intend to fish most? Like several have mentioned jet or prop?? For me the easy answer is its got to be welded aluminum and there are plenty of boats made up in your neck of the woods that are great all around boats. I had a 17' Duckworth with a prop for 30+ years and it worked great for lakes, rivers including the Columbia and bays for crabbing. Duckworth still makes a really nice 20' boat which would be a good size IMHO. Just about a month ago thats what I did, sold the Duck and bought a brand new Weldcraft 20' Angler. Duck and Weldcraft are essentially the same hull these days and owned by the same company.

Also, do you want an open boat or a windshield style boat?? Both have pros and cons depending on your use. I've always liked a windshield boat for when the weather gets nasty but everyone has their preference.

Some boats you may want to look at Thunderjet, North River or even a Hewes or a Raider which makes a really nice boat. The other thing to look at do you want a traditional style transom if going prop or a off-shore type transom? I went with the traditional style since I fish alone much of the time and for me anyway its much easier to troll with that set-up versus the off-shore style which makes running a kicker much harder. Below is the new boat the first day we had it in the water, so far its been a really nice boat and it will see lots of fishing this summer including some nice days in the ocean for rockfish and lings/crabbing:)
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a 16' Crestliner that is built like the Queen Mary.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm thinking aluminum for sure. Likely won't do a lot of shallow stuff. Not opposed to a jet though, just think I'd need it far less. I wouldn't mind an open boat, but already know the wife will be cold without some wind protection in the mornings. Maybe she'll just come along on nice afternoons and me and the boys can do any weather fishing... an electric trolling motor up front is a yes. I do like North River and Alumaweld, and lots of options with both. Don't know other brands too well though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Establish your budget first.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This is the Crestliner, it's loaded down with junk.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That’s so helpful wabi🤦

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You know I’ve been through a few boats. I’ve made the mistake of trying to make everyone happy. Never again. Most of those people never even went out more than once or twice. Buy what suits your desired fishing and is safe for your boys.

For me, an open/tiller boat is the best fit. You get to use more of your boat without the console. That means an 18’ will fish bigger than a 20’ console boat. Easier to garage if that’s a consideration. Easier to handle on your own, less gas to tow. Your family sits in front of you where you can see them. Drawbacks is spray, weather, and you sacrifice motor HP because most tiller boats have a lower HP rating.

Something like the Alumaweld Adventurer come in 18/20/22’. The family sits in it, not on it. There is enough bow deck storage for two batteries for a 24v trolling motor. A 60” shaft 80# Terrova i-Pilot is what I had on my Duckworth. It was just fine and would last all day. If not going in the salt, no need for a kicker.

Try to get at least a 72” bottom and I really like reverse chines. Bery stable, even when sitting on the gunnel. Duckworth just came out with an Advantage Tiller in a 20’ model. I liked my Duckworth a lot, hated the full windshield.

If you plan to get downriggers, make sure the gunnel is able to support it. Some boats have weight/length limits. The heavy gauge welded boats generally don’t.
You could also drag it out to the coast and do some saltwater fishing, crabbing, and shrimping.

Imagine this without the windshield:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
I'm thinking aluminum for sure. Likely won't do a lot of shallow stuff. Not opposed to a jet though, just think I'd need it far less. I wouldn't mind an open boat, but already know the wife will be cold without some wind protection in the mornings. Maybe she'll just come along on nice afternoons and me and the boys can do any weather fishing... an electric trolling motor up front is a yes. I do like North River and Alumaweld, and lots of options with both. Don't know other brands too well though.
'
If you're going after big fish like salmon and steelhead it is nice to fight them out of an open boat.
Fair to say that most guides use open boats.
The wife and kids will appreciate a windshield boat.
Inclement weather and it's the windshield boat with top for the win.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,792
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.