Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Just an update, picked up my Montana on Friday. Very happy with the whole transaction, good price, fast shipping, and a nice rifle. I work 6-12s away from home, so the next couple weeks will be scoping it then shooting. Hopefully the next report is that of a great shooting rifle.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had many and still have a few of both. The Leadweights stay home when it comes to hunting nowadays.

F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Just an update, the Montana shoots great, sub 1" groups with 125 Partician, Starline brass, and Big Game loading. Took a busted up buck, that combination seems to work great. Thanks again for the "Fire's," input.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by 4winds
Originally Posted by southtexas
Below is a rule listed on another outdoor forum. Too bad the 'fire doesn't adopt the same rule. Adult behavior is apparently beyond some...

"No disparaging remarks about other members, no foul attitudes, treat everyone with respect even if you disagree. If a member is not conducting themselves in a respectful manner, give them a gentle reminder of the rules. The membership should be able to police this easily. If a member is unable to keep it civil they will be banned from the site. "

No thanks.

I prefer the thick skin approach.

100%

Although I am the "Rita Rudner" of hunting forums (born to be mild) I posted on Accurate Reloading for 20 years and got kicked off for the 6th and final time in 2020 IIRC due to my conservative political beliefs. I took a peek the other night. There were 23 members on line and 131 guests. IMHO, that's what the heavy hand of over-zealous mods gets ya.

ya!

GWB

PS:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My 11 yr old grandson, his first deer and a Kimber Montana in 260 Rem.

I agree with you GWB. I got kicked off of a PNW site for banging the moderators ex wife.. Ol Pharmy knows that site well. The things they will use to kick your azz off a site anymore!! Damn..

Oh, now to answer the OP's question. Featherweight or Montana??.... Well, split the difference and buy a Tikka Superlite. Obvious answer, of course. It will shoot better, out of the box, than either of his choices, and pack just as nicely. 100% reliable, without all the "fluff"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It seems the OP is pleased with his Kimber.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I've never really warmed up to the Tikka action, kind of clunky to me, I know, that will ruffle some feathers here, lol! But yeah, I really like my first Kimber rifle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am with you on the Tikka action Fuelman.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a couple Montanas and like them for what they are, a nicely thought out very lightweight practical rifle.
I have many pre 64 model 70 FWTs. some in their factory wood stocks and a bunch in quality synthetics....those rifles I cherish and most of them coming in about 8lbs scoped; are for me in the sweet spot for packing and shootability.
I have a mid 50's fwt. 30'06 in it's original wood stock, with a 1" pad and scoped that weighs right at 7.5 pounds and still prints very tight groups, a delightful rifle.
The Kimber will never have a soul like a pre 64 M70 Fwt. nor will it make that wonderful sound our friend Bob and I love to hear when you run the bolt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by handwerk
I have a couple Montanas and like them for what they are, a nicely thought out very lightweight practical rifle.
I have many pre 64 model 70 FWTs. some in their factory wood stocks and a bunch in quality synthetics....those rifles I cherish and most of them coming in about 8lbs scoped; are for me in the sweet spot for packing and shootability.
I have a mid 50's fwt. 30'06 in it's original wood stock, with a 1" pad and scoped that weighs right at 7.5 pounds and still prints very tight groups, a delightful rifle.
The Kimber will never have a soul like a pre 64 M70 Fwt. nor will it make that wonderful sound our friend Bob and I love to hear when you run the bolt.
I never handled Montana or any other Kimber but I do have a pre 64 M70 Fwt in 30-06, what are major differences between the two beside the weight, I was thinking about getting a Montana.

Last edited by duke61; 04/28/24.
B
B
There used to be talk that people thought the Kimber Montana was better if it had a green or the early gray rifle stock. Not sure what changed or what the difference was?

I've never owned a Kimber Montana. A local store has one in 270 Win, 325 WSM and 7mm WSM. Not sure if that is a good sign or a bad sign, having that many used of the same item. I would love to have both of the WSM's.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m Left-handed and always wanted a Kimber…they actually put out an advertisement that they were going to produce a LH Super America back in the early 2000’s I believe. Then they reneged.
Never thought much of the company or their rifles ever since.

Couple hunting buddies have Montanas…I’ve handled them enough to know what they are and in my opinion, the Model 70 is superior in every way. I’d much rather carry a stainless FWT. But, it’d be stocked in a McMillan Hunter’s edge for sure.
Having said that, Winchester hasn’t offered a LH stainless FWT either….ever! Which is sad.

I never thought much of Tikka either as some have mentioned on this thread. However, after seeing a couple shoot, the wheels started turning in my head and now I own 3 Lefty T3X Superlites…all wear McMillan Hunters Edge Compacts(standard fill). They are twice the rifle the Montana could ever hope to be, in my opinion! But, the McMillan stock was the key for me as I can’t stand a cheap plastic stock on a hunting rifle.

They are super light weight(even in the standard fill McMillan stock). Now, they don’t feel cheap and boy do they shoot!😁

To each his own.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 04/29/24.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Fuelman
So, just like title says, I'm buying a new rifle in 6.5 Creed, my choices are Kimber Montana or the Winchester Stainless Featherweight. How about some pros, cons, and thoughts?

They're two very different rifles. The Montana is made for backpack and mountain hunting. I'd rather have the Featherweight sitting in a deer stand. Its heavier weight allows it to settle down quicker. I'd rather pack a Montana on a mountain hunt.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Balance/handling/ergo's the Montana by fhuqking light years. Hint.

Winchester's SOLE advantage,is the ability to change COAL to a 3" box. Hint.

Somebody asking this question,will be best served by the Montucky. Hint.............

I see the OP nabbed a Kimber and is happy. More often than not for the last 5-6yrs, when it's time to fill a tag, I find myself nabbing a Kimber of the appropriate chambering.

I have a Kimber MT in 243Win and a M70 SS Classic Fwt in an Edge fill, blind bottom Fwt pattern McMillan. Accuracy different between the two certainly isn't enough to live on. I shoot 85gn TSX's through both @ 3200fps.

The M70 is easier for a less-experience shooter to shoot well. As Brad stated above, it settles faster/easier. The lighter Kimber is certainly the winner in the "handier-dandier" dept.

The M70 would have a distinct advantage were I to re-barrel in order to speed up the twist AND stay in the '08 case family with a 3" box swap. The Kimber would favor the Creed family again in handy-dandy and the '08 and Creed based cases get you to ultimately the same place.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
B
Featherweight 260

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bluethunder8
Featherweight 260

Have you ever seen such a cat?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fuelman
I've never really warmed up to the Tikka action, kind of clunky to me, I know, that will ruffle some feathers here, lol! But yeah, I really like my first Kimber rifle.

Me too.
Tikkas of any model just haven't impressed me.

They feel like a kid's toy, haven't been as accurate as others claim they are (for me, anyhow) and just haven't given me the warm/fuzzy. I haven't had one long enough to attest to reliability and seriously doubt I'll ever own another.

Rock on to those that like them, but I'll stick to Kimbers, Rem 700s and Win 70s.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by handwerk

Well said HW.. Fully 2nd that comment and I like my little Montanas.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rifles are tools and the Montucky is simply fhuqking exceptional from a rugged/reliable hard use standpoint. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,708
Posts18,513,919
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.