Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Thought I picked up 2#'s of a deal on hamburger, but realized it was a beef/ pork blend when I got it home ....looking for a way to turn a mistake into a winner !

1 member likes this: Higginez
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Egg, cracker crumbs, season as you like, cheese on top.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blah blah blah seasonings whatever. Free form mound on cooksheet with greased aluminum foil. BBQ sauce instead of katsup for glaze.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Bbq sauce, OR mix katsup with some balsamic vinegar to use for the glaze.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My go to recipe per pound:
1 pack onion soup mix
1 egg
enough Italian bread crumbs to get it to the consistency you want

Bake at 350 or even better smoke at the same temp until done (I'd think 165º would be enough). Top with BBQ sauce for last 10mins

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

1 member likes this: Shortgrub
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For this preparation, we used three pounds of our good, local beef, a large onion, a large can of vegetable beef soup, bread crumbs (toasted and torn bread also works well, as does oatmeal or crushed crackers), 3 eggs, bacon and - the secret ingredient - Worcestershire sauce.

First, chop your onion: Big, small, in-between, chop it to a consistency that you like.

Next, you have a choice - you can simply make the meatloaf and top it with bacon strips (good), or you can cut up some bacon and put it in the meatloaf as well, reserving a few strips for topping if you like (really good). I chose to cut up some bacon:
And render out most of the fat:
In order to add a smokey goodness throughout the meatloaf.

Next, you have another choice - you can simply work the onions into the meatloaf (just fine) or you can carmelise them first and let them cool a bit before adding them to the meatloaf:
This step, in my opinion, takes it up another notch, but like the bacon step above, it is not necessary.

From here, it's a piece of cake - add the soup, eggs, salt and pepper (to taste) to the gound beef:
Also bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce:
The amount of bread crumbs you add is rather subjective. I'd say at least a half-cup per pound; a lot of recipes i see call for a cup per pound, but when we try this, the meatloaf seems pretty dry - it could be because our good, local beef tends to be much leaner than most. Use enough so that it looks like your meatloaf is binding well, I'd say.

For the Worcestershire sauce, add an amount that is "to taste;" I'd prefer 2 tablespoons per pound, but start with 1 tablespoon per pound and go from there.

Mix it all together very thoroughly:.

Next, add in your onions and, if you choose, bacon:

Sometimes we add some catsup and/or shredded cheddar cheese at this point, say half a cup per pound of meat - but it is another one of those things that isn't necessary.

For this preparation, i chose to make the meatloaf in our cast-iron skillet, pressing the ground beef mixture into the bottom of a large "popcorn" bowl and turning it out onto the cast iron:
If you didn't add bacon into the actual meatloaf, then go ahead and lay a few strips on top now. Heck, even if you did add bacon to the actual meatloaf, you can go ahead and lay a few strips on top now, if you want. Also, a lot of times people like to cover the top with catsup and/or cheese. this is all ruled by personal preference or whim. For this preparation, I chose not to add bacon, catsup or cheese.

Now, just slip the pan into a pre-heated, 350-degree oven and bake the meatloaf to your preferred done-ness. There are a lot of factors here, but if you use 20 minutes per pound as a base, you will get a good estimate. As I recall, this particular meatloaf took about an hour and 15 mi

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/29/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Baked ground beef prevents yummy.

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
Use whatever seasonings you want and mix well. Before you put in the pan, cover bottom with brown sugar then cover brown sugar with ketchup. Lay the formed meat loaf in and bake at 375 till done. Flip the whole thing over onto platter and serve

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Look up Montana Meatloaf.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My mom's was always delicious. I always looked forward to it. She always served it with mashed potatoes and a tomato based gravy. She wrote her recipe down for me, but I never gave it a try till she was gone. My experience has been hit or miss, and mostly miss. Don't know quite what I'm doing wrong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mine us much like saddlesore said, but I'm a BBQ based fan instead of ketchup based. Nevertheless, once I started smoking it instead of baking it, I've never eaten it any other way.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A smoked fatty, is never the wrong answer !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Mine us much like saddlesore said, but I'm a BBQ based fan instead of ketchup based. Nevertheless, once I started smoking it instead of baking it, I've never eaten it any other way.

Man that looks awesome

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Looks fantastic!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
🤤 looks tasty

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Dittos on BBQ based & smoked!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Happening now with Balsamic BBQ Sauce and will be smoked

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cook it in your smoker or grill if no smoker. Game changer!!! I personally do very little seasoning, basic S/P/G. I use crushed up BBQ pork rinds and an egg or 3. Brush with BBQ when its almost done. My 4 and 6 y/o sons probably eat a pound themselves....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1moredeer, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,598
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.