Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No, not one of my guns. smile

I'm ignorant...and I know it! Chicken too.

I have a 14' Achilles inflatable with aluminum floor that I want to use for some personal halibut fishing in Cook Inlet - Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Whiskey Gulch (most likely - I have a rec cabin down that way and can overnight and get in 2 days possesion limit)). Will self launch off beach using an ATV, probably- no stuck truck for me! Tides do rip along pretty good - 7 mph? Will not be going out in rough seas or much wind, and never more than 1/2 mile off-shore- 400-700 yards more likely, and probably not deeper than 80'.

My renter has done this with a friend and has a spot he'lll show me. He says he and his bud fish 60-80' there, 500yards, more or less, off the beach. They usually do pretty well on 30-70 lb buts. 2 or 3 of those, and I'm good for the year! In that case, it might only be a couple trips annually.

River and Sea recommended (their, of course) Bruce? anchor, with 12-14 feet of chain and 200-300 feet of 3'8 rope. Other options locally would be a locally designed/made (I think) "river anchor" - single swivel fluke, or the standard Danforth.

What say you guys with experience along these lines? Too much, too little, about right? Anchor weight?

Last edited by las; 05/01/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Why not drift?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Might later, after Matt - who has only anchored up shows me. And I'll get his opinion on drifting too - no sense in spending a couple hundred bucks for boat clutter if I don't have to, and that I won't use all that much. I'd rather drift than anchor anyway, if it works.

Of course, he and his bud did once gaff his bud's inflatable out there - but they had the pump along, so just fished and pumped, fished and pumped. smile. I did once upon a time have a harpoon - but I "loaned" it out to someone - no longer remember who. Guns and tail/gill roping work too, if it comes to something needing it.

Last edited by las; 05/01/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I sometimes go out of Whiskey with a Kayak or an inflatable like yours. I don't anchor. I launch about 1-2 hours before slack tide. The current is usually less than 2 mph and goes down to zero at slack. Anything over 2 mph and the jig/bait starts dragging on the bottom. One could anchor but the jig/bait would end up stretched out with the current. Launching and fishing 1-2 hours before slack brings the yak back to the launch spot after about 5-6 hours on the water. The inflatable certainly shortens the trip and provides space for Mrs. Bunker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to go fish with a buddy in his zodiac out of Anchor Point. We only anchored up once. Had a big butt on and it sucked pulling it in upriver against that strong current. It would really suck if a log or a big patch of kelp got hung up on your anchor line and upended you in a blink of an eye. Bring your fly rod and keep it rigged up too. When you're fishing shallow like that sometimes a whole school will come right up to the surface with the one already hooked! That was pretty fun to watch.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would use at least 30-35 feet of chain. It can be hard to hook up in that area. At least 200 feet of rope if you plan on anchoring in 80 feet of water.
I always preferred to drift in that area. Much less stressful that trying to hook up and retrieve an anchor as well as messing around with 2 pounds of sinker.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dont drag my name through the mud !!!!!!!!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For something light like an RHI you should be able to get by without chain since chain in an inflatable could be a PIA. If I recall correctly the bottom there is sand/mud? A Danforth, Bruce or Plow should be able to grab and hold in current but considering how light you are damn near any anchor should be able to keep you tight as long as you have enough scope. I’d probably lean towards a simple Danforth (easier to stow) and 400-500’of rode. The “shallower” your angle on the rode the more likely you will get a good bite….for bigger vessels 6 times your depth but for a lighter inflatable I’d think you could get away with a danforth and 4 times the depth of “anchor line”. If you use chain ~20’ and 300’-400’ of line oughta be enough (assuming a max of 80’ of water).

Tight lines and big butts…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
400’ of line will fill half the inflatable!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
G
I’ve done what you’re talking about with similar equipment in the same area- don’t anchor, just drift.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I do not anchor off deep creek have seen too many bad things happen there. If you do don't do it when the tides a ripping!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Won't speak to your issue, but found anchor design quite entertaining with drift boats here in the PNW. Seems everyone has a unique anchor. One sees cat rollers, starters, wads of chain, typewriters, engine parts, junk yard dogs, etc. Much like the red-carpet actresses and their dresses, if two boaters show up with identical anchors, one of the pair must immediately go home and come up with a new design.

Does one really have to anchor, or can he/she drift fish? Admittedly, that's the only place I've ever been where the tide generates standing waves in open water.

Good luck and envious,

Last edited by 1minute; 05/01/24.

1Minute
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by las
No, not one of my guns. smile

I'm ignorant...and I know it! Chicken too.

I have a 14' Achilles inflatable with aluminum floor that I want to use for some personal halibut fishing in Cook Inlet - Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Whiskey Gulch (most likely - I have a rec cabin down that way and can overnight and get in 2 days possesion limit)). Will self launch off beach using an ATV, probably- no stuck truck for me! Tides do rip along pretty good - 7 mph? Will not be going out in rough seas or much wind, and never more than 1/2 mile off-shore- 400-700 yards more likely, and probably not deeper than 80'.

My renter has done this with a friend and has a spot he'lll show me. He says he and his bud fish 60-80' there, 500yards, more or less, off the beach. They usually do pretty well on 30-70 lb buts. 2 or 3 of those, and I'm good for the year! In that case, it might only be a couple trips annually.

River and Sea recommended (their, of course) Bruce? anchor, with 12-14 feet of chain and 200-300 feet of 3'8 rope. Other options locally would be a locally designed/made (I think) "river anchor" - single swivel fluke, or the standard Danforth.

What say you guys with experience along these lines? Too much, too little, about right? Anchor weight?
'
I'd use a Columbia River type anchor.
They are good in sand or freestone and have a breakaway feature.
A small 16# - 19# CR anchor would hold your boat if you have enough rope out.
5:1 scope is minimum, (bare minimum) in current or around boat wakes.

Use an anchor float (buoy) - an A2 size (15") matches up with that anchor size (12" is too small)
You would need a slider - see EZ Marine
350' of 7/16" solid braid will fit in a 5 gallon bucket

EZ Marine has product and some videos.
Ignore the "power pulling" demonstration. You don't want to do that with a small boat.
EZ Marine uses some sharp points on their tines - I'd round those off
https://ezmarine.com/

Anchoring, especially in current can be dangerous.
Have a sharp knife handy and preferably something serrated that will cut rope fast - things can happen fast.
If you want to fish in 80' try to find a shallower spot up-current to drop hook, then pay out rope to your spot.
Use cotton string or a zip tie that has been cut half way through on your breakaway chain.
A full 3/16" zip-tie is near impossible to break with a small boat.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Is a trolling motor with spot lock out of the question?

1 member likes this: Direct_Drive
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by K1500
Is a trolling motor with spot lock out of the question?
That could be a good solution.
It would have to be a saltwater approved motor (of course).
Knowing the backbounce technique is a huge advantage and also it helps keep you from getting snagged up on the bottom.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Use a lighter Bruce. 16lb’r would be fine. About 10’ if chain will do it. Go heavier polydac line as it’s easier to pull by hand. You could get away with 5/16 as that’s what I use on the big boats but it’s a little thin to pull by hand. If it’s too windy to hold with a lighter Bruce, you shouldn’t be out there in a zodiac.

Anchoring is 10x more effective than drifting.

Obviously you will want to time your fishing around the tide changes.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bonus points if you post video of you landing a 70lb’r in a 14’ zodiac.

My first Hali was a 150lb’r in a 17’ Klamath. That was an adventure.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never fished Alaska but I do fish the Strait of Jaun de Fuca which separates Washington State from Vancouver Island. I anchor a lot for halibut. I have a 16' Hewescraft Sportsman which is a lot heavier than what you have. Probably a couple thousand pounds with motors, batteries, fuel, 2 guys and all the gear. I use a Danforth anchor. Not sure about the weight but I know it's not over 15 pounds. 12 ft of 5/16" galvanized chain, 250' of 3/8" line, 15" A2 anchor ball and an EZ slider. I've anchored in up to about 100 ft of water with absolutely no holding problem. Not sure what are currents MPH is but I know on a good running tide the ball will be completely under water. I use a second small float at the end of my anchor line in case I have to unhook to chase a fish. Keep a knife handy.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got a boat anchor that I'll give you..
6' 250 lb son in law. It's all he's good for.
He's usually drunk too.

Didn't mean to derail.

Last edited by JD338; 05/02/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,759
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.