Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by Seafire
Well there goes the friggin neighborhood....

Bet ya this is the end of RCBS having and honoring a life time warranty...

Guess Lee will end up getting a lot more of my business than they do now.

It it Hornady's fault that the mega conglomerate Vista Outdoors decided to run RCBS into the ground and then sell it off?

I also don't see Lee being any better about warranting their equipment than Hornady is.

Time will only tell....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I was in a party stalking stags in Scotland probably 20 years ago that included Chris and Bob Hodgdon. They certainly were great folks. I don’t know what family members are serving in what company capacities today.

Bob Hodgdon passed away a year or two ago. Chris Hodgdon is no longer a company officer but the Hodgdon’s still own the outfit and are still involved.

Sorry to hear that-- Bob was a good man.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hodgdon now HAS TO actually make something.

Hodgdon has had DECADES to set up and actually make powder.......they have not.

The last 20 years of events, 20 years for goodness sake and still......zip.

I agree with Seafire....time will tell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HeavyDove

The things that RCBS currently makes, those logistics, and those processes won't just magically disappear with Hodgdon starting from scratch.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by drop_point

The things that RCBS currently makes, those logistics, and those processes won't just magically disappear with Hodgdon starting from scratch.

I understand that.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you understand the full scope of what it takes to manufacture powder? I know I don't.

2 members like this: Engine22, OSU_Sig
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Do you understand the full scope of what it takes to manufacture powder? I know I don't.

There you go again, making sense as usual…….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do up to a point.

Hodgdon does too more than anyone. They have the connections to get it done. Even if it was small for potential growth it would go a long way to their benefit.

Maybe this purchase of RCBS is a baby step toward that goal.

I guess what I am trying to point out is that Hodgdon is now in a postition to make something and be responsible for its creation as a parent company from base materials to final product.

As we all know Hodgdon buys powder world wide and just puts their name on it and now we add the facet of actual manufacturing.

They strike me as the kid in class in a group project that lets everybody else do all the work and then acts like they actually did something.

As Seafire stated earlier...time will tell.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It would be nice to see Hodgdon primers too......oh wait they would have to buy it first from somebody else.

Never mind.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Prices soon to double like everything else they've touched.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you think it is more profitable to manufacture powder in the United States or import it? Are you willing to pay even more than you do now to have it "made in America"?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That would depend on which pieces of the pie can be made here and other pieces made somewhere else cheaper. Many fluctuating pieces.

But NOT having it all being made elsewhere is better.

The current trend is to buy it cheap out of the U.S. and then really hike the prices up and claim this reason and this reason and this other reason for the "price increase".

Having a solid domestically made supply is better than relying on foreign imports.

Foreign imports usually have lots of middlemen wanting a piece of the pie, like that is a good thing...probably not.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 05/06/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Exactly, Hodgdon is buying an intact, operating company. They can leave it alone, screw it up, or improve it. Given Hodgdon’s history, they have done well with the powder brands they’ve purchased so far.

As far as prices, that’s out of Hodgdon’s hands no matter how badly some want to believe there’s a Worldwide Smokeless Powder Conspiracy……

And don’t get them started on the Great Primer Conspiracy.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I believe it is a great fit.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would depend on which pieces of the pie can be made here and other pieces made somewhere else cheaper. Many fluctuating pieces.

But NOT having it all being made elsewhere is better.

The current trend is to buy it cheap out of the U.S. and then really hike the prices up and claim this reason and this reason and this other reason for the "price increase".

Having a solid domestically made supply is better than relying on foreign imports.

Foreign imports usually have lots of middlemen wanting a piece of the pie, like that is a good thing...probably not.

You sound like a genius with a whole lot of insider information about the smokeless powder industry. I look forward to seeing your smokeless powder company put Hodgdon, the industry leader, out of business.

1 member likes this: Engine22
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Drop point,

ha ha....never said i wanted to open one.

I like Hodgdon but I understand what they are.......the Industry leader in rebranding another countries domestically produced powder.

I hope RCBS, as was stated earlier in the thread, that its prices are not bloated like everything else Hodgdon has touched or bought out.

Best
HeavyDove

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drop point,

I like Hodgdon but I understand what they are.......the Industry leader in rebranding another countries domestically produced powder.

I hope RCBS, as was stated earlier in the thread, that its prices are not bloated like everything else Hodgdon has touched or bought out.

Best
HeavyDove

The powder Hodgdon sells does not belong to "other countries". its from private companies which Hodgdon contracts to make it for them. Hodgdon is such a market leader, they can command powder formulas and coatings. For the record, Hodgdon got their start selling surplus powder.

Truth is you are not privy to insider information within the powder industry and you're just running your mouth. Nobody likes high prices of powder right now, but that's a consequence of global markets, not "bloat".

Last edited by drop_point; 05/06/24.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Drop point,

Best
HeavyDove

The powder Hodgdon sells does not belong to "other countries". Hodgdon is such a market leader, they can command powder formulas and coatings. For the record, Hodgdon got their start selling surplus powder.

Truth is you are not privy to insider information within the powder industry and you're just running your mouth. Nobody likes high prices of powder right now, but that's a consequence of global markets, not "bloat".

Never said I was privy.

Just observing what has happened that is all and commenting on it.....just ...like...everyone...else...with their own observations and insights

Are you..privy. If you are then share that knowledge instead of talking down to others who have not said one directed offensive word towards anyone else.

Running my mouth....calm down.

As you stated no one likes the high prices of powder right now....I don't like either.

Best
HeavyDove.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You threw accusations at Hodgdon. You stated their prices were bloated because of their business practices. How can you make such a statement without being privy to insider business information? If you don't have information, then you are indeed running your mouth.

1 member likes this: Engine22
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I've read, most Winchester and Hodgdon ball powders, as well as some IMR extruded powders have come from St. Marks in Florida. St. Marks supplies 85% of the gunpowder the US military uses to load both small arms and larger munition. If you're one of those guys that has great success with 8208XBR and realized how unobtainable it was, it should make more sense; since the start of the Russia/Ukraine conflict, the US has sent about $100 billion in munitions to aide Ukraine.

When one of the largest powder plants in the world has nearly all their powder being purchased by the US government, it creates a shortage in the market. Less powder is available, therefore, companies are willing to pay more for it to continue operations. The laws of supply and demand are at work.

1 member likes this: alpinecrick
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,141
Posts18,523,288
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.