Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
My son and I met a few friends on the pigeon fields and had another wonderful day. Scooch, my pup got in a ton of work and she killed it like always. She had 20+ retrieves and definitely earned her couch nap today! Scooby, the black lab is a KILLER. Highly trained dog and it shows.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome man. Great training opportunity.

Where are you doing that?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
This girl of mine has a ton of retrieves under her belt a lot of them are from these pigeon shoots! We do this on a farm near Casa Grande

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Love those multi talented Airedales. I was raised by Airedales.
Nice dog(s).

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great work....some don't get that much in a year. Congrats!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Love those multi talented Airedales. I was raised by Airedales.
Nice dog(s).

Definitely fun to have a dog that is multifaceted. Saturday we are going to a flushing class, and here soon I will do some more scent trailing work with her, as well as water work during the summer to brush up on duck retrieves, as well as get her exercise when its hotter than hell here in Arizona!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am confident she will do absolutely great.
I had a male that could do it all, except point. You sometimes had to play his game.
Great family dogs as well.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I am confident she will do absolutely great.
I had a male that could do it all, except point. You sometimes had to play his game.
Great family dogs as well.

Shes been to these classes quite a few times. She loves it, and sleeps like a baby afterwards! One of my favorite ways to spend a morning.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That sounds like a great time. Pigeons aren't as common around here as they once were. As such, they are more valuable trapped to use/sell for dog training. Numbers are such few are trapping pigeons so I am kind of the only one doing so locally. I get $7/each which is about the same price I pick up hen pheasants from a commercial pheasant farm that are washed out from breeding.

I encourage one to cross train with other disciplines when possible. The different perspectives broadens one's knowledge and helps with critical thinking when problems crop up.

I train with a couple retriever groups even though I run pointing dogs. It gives access to ideas, grounds, and equipment not generally available in pointing dog circles to help bring out the best in your dog's ability. Since starting this a few decades ago, my dogs have been far better retrievers than expected (better than the labs trained only from books that I started with) and happily retrieve from land or water. Double marks are pretty standard with triple marks a possibility with a couple dogs I owned. One can also work on blind retrieves which is very helpful in the field when hunting with others. As is running a line and using hand signals in place of voice or whistle commands.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I like to expose her to as much different training as possible. Today there were 5 or 6 dogs at the training... Every single one was a GSP.... Except for her. While it is clear she doesnt have the nose or endless energy of a pointer, she holds her own as a flushing dog and out retrieves almost all of them. I attribute that to pointers wanting to get to the hunt, while she is content on finishing the job. In the field she is a monster on dove and pigeon as she finds and retrieves them almost without flaw. Ducks and water retrieves she is hit or miss on, but she hasnt had the experience that she has with doves and pigeons.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That is a great pic! Airdale on a chain gang with GSPs! Great way to expose her to bird dog ways.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope that wasn't the "flushing class" you were talking about a couple posts earlier. If it was, and they are running GSPs, I can see where there might have been some issues with retrieving as well as in other areas. When I started in NAVHDA 40 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for a couple of labs to show up with a pointer of some sort. I did it with my last lab and later the two springers I've owned. Upland type training opportunities were far more limited and many were transitioning from pheasant/waterfowl to grouse/woodcock due to the dropping numbers of the former. I learned a lot from those owners and wish I would have known what I learned with my earlier labs.

I put my dogs on a chain gang when I train no matter the breed/purpose. I'll even toss the house dogs on the chain to keep them out of mischief in the house. I don't think the dogs learn from watching but I do believe having to watch gets them excited and ready to work when their turn comes. In other words they want to get out there and do their job and get praise for doing it correctly. I also use it as a training opportunity to teach the dog to remain calm and quiet while waiting its turn. It is very annoying to have a dog howl and bark incessantly when a different dog is taken out. Especially at a test or trial where the dog is close to you and others. Though when hunting one could think it as a benefit as one will always know where the truck is...

Finding/making as many training opportunities as possible can only help a dog. My best dogs have been those that were worked the most whether in planned or organized training sessions, tests/trials, hunting of various sorts, and even every day tasks such as walks.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
This is the flushing class, however it isnt specifically a flushing class. It is an upland training class, pointing work and drills for the pointers, including honoring, stead to point, wing, shot etc. And then several different drills for my flusher. Normally we will do one round of find and flush with homers, and then a round of find, flush, kill, and retrieve. Then we all go up top and work on some obedience. Usually it is heal or whoa for the pointers, and whistle sits for my Airedale.

Also, she is just about the only one that doesn't make a sound on the chain gang. However, she doesn't usually make any noise anyways.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the explaination, it clarifies matters quite a bit. It had me wondering if the guys running a dog training group I was involved with many years ago are now snow birding down there and started their "training" back up. They seemed to be more knowledgable towards gabbing than dog training.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
The trainer we see is a retired law enforcement officer (same agency that I work for currently.) He is as busy if not more so now than he was during his main career.
He is a great dog trainer and bird guide. We have a great time there, learning and shooting the breeze. He mainly trains pointers, I think he enjoys having my flusher in the mix as well.

Couple of weeks ago, there was another trainer there observing, Kelly had some high praise for Scooch, my Airedale. As one can imagine, I was pretty proud of that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1936M71, 219DW, 260Remguy, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,671
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.