Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Finished up today with an uneventful hunt in NE Virginia

Had an amazing season. Hunted 4 states, killed in 3. Shot 5 birds myself and called in 3 more for others.

Our season opened April 1. I really haven’t hunted much the last couple weeks but enjoyed finishing in Virginia at a friends farm which was a really nice place and full of sign (only lacking cooperative gobblers)

1 member likes this: retrieverman
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice, congrats!!

It's been hot in Virginia. Opening day saw 90 degrees. Pretty much unheard of for mid April. I've hunted opening day in the past when there was frost on the ground. Foliage was almost full on opening day. Right now, it is full, and the woods are dark, even in bright sun, and seeing past 15 yards is darned near impossible. I've hunted 6 days so far. Every day I've hunted has ended up being at least 80 degrees, and two days hiting 90+. Called in one that busted me when I looked over my left shoulder at "a noise" I thought was another hunter coming up a trail. Also got beat to my area twice by another hunter. Two days, someone's hound was running loose barking it's head off, and Thursday, the farmer on the other side of the swamp I hunt set up a diesel-powered pump to pump water out of his pond near the swamp to water his newly planted corn. Never heard a bird on opening day, and never heard one Thursday. I think the heat and the noise shut them down. Heard several the other four days, but they went silent when they hit the ground, as they tend to do here, and never got one to come in except the one that busted me. And I have not heard a shot all season, which is unsusual.

On the other hand, one of the cicada broods we've been hearing about has started to emerge and they are all over the place. It is a sight to behold. Even the squirrels are eating them. I hunted a saddle where several ravines converge on Thursday. It's cooler down in the ravines, there's water, and now a metric ton of cicadas everywhere. But you can't see very far. I'm going to try one more time this season, which ends on May 18. If no luck, then looking forward to fall.

1 member likes this: retrieverman
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Congrats! Minnesota allows only one bird per season and one is limited to one 7 day period if using a shotgun. I hunt behind my home so travel time is pretty minor and I know the area well so I don't scout much. WMy time period began Wednesday and I had my tag filled an hour and 5 minutes after legal shooting time. That was unusual as my most productive time is between 9 AM and 1 PM. It was one of three birds that came in together. The other two seemed rather confused after the shot as they stuck around their fallen brother as I walked up. I almost kicked the one out of the way before they walked off. Strange birds...

It was an OK bird with a 6"+ beard and short pheasant length spurs. I didn't weigh it but it felt around 16 lbs +/-. If one is patient and puts in the time and effort a tom with double digit beard is possible, if not likely. I had other claims for my time so I decided to shoot the first legal bird that came in range and it happened to be this unlucky bird.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sounds like a good time👍

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 406_SBC, 17CalFan, 204guy, 23 invisible), 3,011 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,001
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.