-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JJ-I've never experienced any challenges with the "short neck" of the 300 winnie. I've loaded 110 Sierras on up to 200 Sierras and a boat load in between, no issues for me. I just never had any troubles with the case being the neck too short or the too short neck and long bullets protruding into the case too far.

As for the number of loadings out of a case, the most I've ever experienced was with my 1st .340. With the first 2 boxes of Wby brass I got 13 loadings out of one and 12 out of the other b4 I tossed them. I for the life of me just can't imagine getting 15-20 out of a case let alone a maggie.

Oh and about your 300 Wby info, you might wanna check it but I have a sneaking suspicion that you weren't using R15...<g>

Have a good day!
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mark, what effect does magna-porting have on noise?
I am in the no troubles with the win mag camp as well.
FWIW the 300 wsm has a short neck too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've worked with and had several that were ported, I could tell they were a bit louder but absolutely nothing compared to a brake!

Personally, I am a huge fan of magnaporting and have no issues with it.

Oh now, the short mags have short necks, there goes the sale growth...<g>

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 300 Ultra is an awesome round,used one to drive a nice 6x6 Utah elk into the dirt,but the recoil is more than I really like so I let mine go.

Now I shoot 300 win mags in regular and unleaded(WSM) types. I have never had any issues with the plain old 300 win mag or it's vertically challenged other brother Darrel. These kill elk just fine,killed three or four with em and are more pleasant to shoot.

If I still had my 300 ultra,I'd try some of the milder tastes great less filling loads in it.

Britt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark, your right buddy, it was 7828

Wow never reload with data I post!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolHmm-thx for the heads up JJ....<g>

By the way I about totally love 7828 for certain apps.

Have a good day!

Dober

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I've worked with and had several that were ported, I could tell they were a bit louder but absolutely nothing compared to a brake!

Personally, I am a huge fan of magnaporting and have no issues with it.

Oh now, the short mags have short necks, there goes the sale growth...<g>

Dober

I agree with Mark and have tried it on a few of my rifles. Currently I have a .340 Weatherby that is Magnaported and it makes it extremely controlable with a greatly reduced muzzle rise.

I have also used it up to .416 Weatherby where it starts to limit in effectivness, as there is a lot more powder and recoil to deal with. I also tried triple magnaporting whereby I had a third pair of vents added.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
JJ-your experiences are totally different from mine in a big time way.

I've had no none zero issues with loading a 300 Winnie, brass life has been good 4 me as well.

Likewise, no problems with the cartridge. I've had some hassle with it specific to some truly '06 length actions that had too much freebore, but that's not the cartridge's fault.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my .300 Win. Mag. and have no problems loading for it. While I won't be running out to trade it, if I were in the market for a general purpose .30 cal. I think I would get a .300 Ultra. In fact, it would make a good answer to the "If limited to one gun one caliber" question. It can be loaded to perform like either a 30-06 or 300 Win mag. if necessary. That is what I call versatility. My 7mm Ultra might lend itself to loading down but I haven't tried it and probably won't. I have always looked upon the 7mm Ultra as a specialty long range killer and load mine to the absolute max for every shot. If I need less power I use less rifle... this has got me to thinking(always dangerous) I could get a 300 Ultra and unload a BUNCH of rifles using the money saved to finance more hunting...Hummmm

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mark - I'm a great fan of Magnaporting! I've had 2 rifles done by them with great results and had been considering sending them my .375 Ruger RSM but the extra weight of te RSM helps me control the rise.. I have a ported guide gun and while it doesn't bother me that much I wish Marlin had sent them to Magnaport instead..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had several rifles mag-na-ported and honestly, I could not tell any real differenc in recoil reduction. the last was a 300 win mag and I sold it. I had them port my wife's 20 ga O/U but I dont shoot that gun so I really can not tell if it works or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no recoil reduction at all, it will limit the lift of the muzzle, but any reduction in felt recoil is in your noggin!

Both my buddy and I had 100% identical 300 weatherbies (win model 70 manufacture) He sent his to magnaport. Some time later we were at the range and watched eah other shoot both guns. Sure enough it will reduce muzzle lift, but neither of us could tell any difference in recoil. A couple fellas were watching us and listening to the conversation. We offered to let them have a try to see the difference. Scott wrapped the muzzles with black tape. Each shot the guns and could not tell which rifle was which.

Addmittedly this is a small and very low resolution group to make any comment as fact. However four guys shooting 300 weatherby rifles and none could tell? these 300 weatherby cartridges have a bit of recoil, if there was something noticable somebody would have had an opinion.

As far as muzzle lift we are not talking about much. The difference off the bags was about 3" less lift with the magnaport rifle. I'm not certain that a 3inch reduction in muzzle lift on a rifle of this recoil level means anything.

Regarding handguns. I bought a 44mag SW mountian gun. It was beautiful and very functional. Sometime later I decided I wanted to buy another one to leave in RSA at the lodge. The search took a while but I located another one which had the magnaported barrel.Shooting these side by side there was a more noticable difference in muzzle lift, still absolutely nothing in the way of felt recoil reduction. The real down side to this gun was shooting hard case lead bullets. The magnaport would shave a sliver of lead from the bullet which ejected out the port on the right side of the gun. I was hit in the face with that lead splatter several times.

Needless to say that gun was sold off with the stipulation that jacketed bullets should only be used. There was never any issue with the jacketed bullets.

A lot of crap comes out of the magnaport vents. On the weatherby the end of the barrel would often be black from powder and the 44mag was also covered in powder and residue. There is no doubt that gasses escape from these vents in a big way, they also take with it what ever is blown down the tube with that gas.

With the experiences I have had with it......I would not deface any gun I own with this process.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mzl lift is the only reason why I like the magnaport thing. I tend to hold a rifle very freely and without magnaporting I find myself getting the scope between the running lights quite often, and that tends to challenge my ability to concentrate.

IME if you have two rifles the same and one's ported and one's not then they'll still come back at you with the same amount of recoil (although I really do feel that porting does reduce the bump by 10-15% but that is just gut feel, or should I say shoulder feel...<g>). The non ported gun will jump on the bags or in field positions and that 3" that JJ speaks of does mean a big diff to me. That 3" is the diff between wearing a scope or not IME. Now the non ported gun will come straight back at me but it will not be reaching off the bags to hit me between the running lights. And that my friends is worth it a lot to me, as I like to shoot my main guns 500-1K rounds a year.

Oh and add to this that I am a nortorious stock crawler, thus the porting helps me to stay away from the scope here as well!

Bottom line, I like the magnaporting as it keeps me from taking it between the eyes.

Use what you like gang and I'll do the same.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/25/08.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a grizzly encounter once where my .300 Winchester magnum's neck sure made thing interesting.

I was going to vacate an area after spotting a momma grizzly and three big cubs, and as I went to unload the round in the chamber (as I was to be meeting up with my Dad soon - and at that time, he didn't like me carrying a round in the chamber) before going wandering off to locate my Dad on the other side of the mountain.

The short neck didn't have enough grip (on my admittedly long loaded bullet) and so the bullet stayed in the barrel as the cartridge was ejected - leaving me in a heck of a pickle.

Alone on my side of a mountain, as a young teenager, with four grizzlies and a fancy walnut and steel "walking stick".

Believe me - that experience defined the word "naked" - and in a way that only a big game hunter could ever truly appreciate! grin

I've never cared for short necks - on women, or rifle cartridges since then! smile

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With all dues respect Brian, the short neck of the 300 winnie had nothing to do with that challenge, and you could of had the same issues with any other round out there.

A bit of homework would of solved that and kept you from an interesting afternoon!

Oh and by the way, when you spot the bruins that is the time to have a round in the hole not taking one out....<g>

Glad it all worked out for you though.

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brian, One (just one) reason this happened is that the bullet was seated out too long for the throat and the lands had it and did not want to give it up

Gdv

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goodnews

Brian, One (just one) reason this happened is that the bullet was seated out too long for the throat and the lands had it and did not want to give it up

Gdv

You got it bud, run them thru after loading and b4 heading to the hill and you'll be fine. I had the same thing happen once when I was yote hunting....no doubt frustrating with yotes it would be big time frustrating with long claws around. But, it wasn't the rounds fault.

Dober

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have had the same thing happen with a .280 rem. Twasnt the rounds fault.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cleaning powder out of the chamber, action and bolt areas sucks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (06hunter59, 264mag, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 320090T, 22 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,781
Posts18,536,100
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.